Variables...

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Variables...

Post by ogreb »

From what I understand they are basically switches to turn triggers on or off depending if certain conditions were met...in other words a variable..duhh

Like the zone I was talking about...
variable...Set variable MRWTALKED_TO is "F"
Trigger...

condition.. 1.Player has x alive at zone B
2. If variable WRWTALKED_TO is "F"
action...set team alingment matrix..blah blah..

It was the "IF" that made me understand how they really work...

And if the other trigger is

condition....1. Speech occured..

action.......1. Recieve reward(item)
2. recieve experience
3. set variable MRWTALKED_TO is "T"

So basically ( by triggering the speech trigger) I am stopping the action of the zone from going off.

COOLNESS...more stuff to add to the game.

This was the part I was really concerned about..
As I backward engineered the BOS Missions I was kinda concerned about all the goings on I saw..

Set death text..what the hell is a death text?
And stuff like that..

Now it seems my brain is waking from a hazy fog of medication ( pain meds) and is finally working again.

Queestion...
Is there a set path for varaibles ( spelling and spacing) like there is for speech ?I noticed some used capital letters and in another lower case...or it was either "F" or "FALSE"or"False".....

or is just so they match like tag names ?( except for the false and true part)
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Yeah variables are just true false statements (though you don't have to use true/false, on/off or even a/b or p/q would do), there's no format, you've just got to make sure everything matches.

There's no real format to speech files either, you just need the equals sign and curly brackets.

Death text is the text that is displayed when the main character dies. You can ignore this and it will just use the default failure text in the generic-mission text file. If you do write some spiffy death text, make sure you set the trigger to condition always and preserved. Otherwise if someone saves and reloads it just default back to the generic death text. This is something they didn't do in the main campaign and there's a lot of interesting death messages that non toughguy players miss out on.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

Variables are just global triggers you can use on other maps. Thats how I see them.
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Our Host!