A New Use for the Science Skill

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

A New Use for the Science Skill

Post by OnTheBounce »

I was poking through the various TXT files for FoT while working on a completely unrelated problem and found a use for the Science Skill that I wasn't aware of, and since I've never seen anyone talk about it, I'm fairly certain that this is a pretty well unknown feature.

Here are the two relevant lines from the reason.txt file:

log_trapScience = {[user] discovers the [thing] was set to a frequency of [amount]kHz.}
ent_trapScience = {Frequency [amount]kHz}

If you happen to stumble on some Remote Detononator Traps you can use your Science skill to determine what frequency they are set to. I tested it on a range map and it works.

Now you just have to find an opportunity to put that to use...

Cheers,

OTB
Last edited by OnTheBounce on Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Ohhhhhhhh... I think I'll be putting it to good use. Or "bad" use, depending on how ya look at it :twisted:

Good work as usual, OTB!

One question, of which I would answer for myself but it's 2 AM:

How/where does the message display? I'm assuming in the Pipboy-text-summary-thingy (y'know, the "flip side" of the green minimap), and not above the actor's head.

Now that I've finally beat the entity known as Deus Ex, I can go back to mappin' :mrgreen:

After I take a nap, of course...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:How/where does the message display? I'm assuming in the Pipboy-text-summary-thingy (y'know, the "flip side" of the green minimap), and not above the actor's head.
It displays both in the text log as well as above the actor's head. The first line is what shows up in the text log, and second over the actor's head. (I edited the lines since the variable portions didn't show up thanks to HTML being enabled in my posts.)
Max-Violence wrote:Now that I've finally beat the entity known as Deus Ex, I can go back to mappin' :mrgreen:
Just think: you could have been playing the FO RPGs all that time instead of an action RPG. :mrgreen:

OTB
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Wow, I used it in multiplayer. Messy! Some people had det packs behind them active. I had a remote and used my science skill to see the frequency, got to a safe distance. Said something like 'Time to die' then punched in the code and killed them :twisted: I like that skill now.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

TheReaper wrote:Said something like 'Time to die' then punched in the code and killed them :twisted:
Next time you have to say, "OTB sends his regards!" :lol: [jk]

OTB
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

As I seem to remember the only enemy RDTs you come across in the core campaign are in the generator house in Quincy and you have to prevent them from going off.

Guess I'll have to wait for some custom maps to feature this before I can help a few enemies to score some RDT "own goals"....
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

OnTheBounce wrote:Next time you have to say, "OTB sends his regards!" :lol: [jk]OTB
I will, I'll try it again tonight. Results will come tomorrow.
Our Host!