Massive slow downs and entities problems...

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Massive slow downs and entities problems...

Post by ogreb »

I guess size does matter...I have a large map 9x9...with a small town, swamp, hills and a 3 level vault ( Redoubt)Plus a large cave system..

And I am having massive slow downs ..is this normal? I notice on some of the camapign maps...that there is massive bogging...do they work on show tiles on level only? Especially the last few robot maps..

And in some areas especially over the Redoubt that is where movement crawls ( playing speed does not seem to be effected..yet) When placing tiles above it( several levels above) is barely possible ...the mouse just crawls..

And some of the entities are not cooperating....My tank turrets are all turned wrong and I have a turret showing up on top of one of the Hummers...

Is there a size limit ( tiles,entities etc) for maps...

Have I just wasted the last month on a map that I can't finish and no one can play?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

No limit except what your computer can handle. Though 9 x 9 does seem a little excessive. The biggest map I've played has to be 'What is honour amongst Thugs' which IIRC was something like 8 x 8, I didn't have any problems playing that on my old machine.

The biggest map I've built is the chateau map I posted a render of in the other thread, that's 7 x 6 I've not populated it yet but there's no slowdown so far. But then I've not got a lot of multiple levels in there except for the chateau itself. The editor does tend to slow down when you've got it centered on a multiple level area, Deathground did that and it wasn't that big topside but the only complaints I got about slowdown were to do with the flickering lights. Even on my new pc I get slowdown on one map that's built on several levels and has a lot of pipes and scaffolding, but once I'm away from that section scrolling returns to normal.

The only thing to do in the editor, if slowdown gets so bad, is to choose the option to only see the current level, and make sure you haven't got a lot of overlapping tiles. Try update bad bounding box. Don't forget hiding levels can speed the editor up slightly, useful if you need to see more than one level and 'only show tiles on current level' isn't appropriate.

As for the tank turrets, is this in the editor or in game? The turret on another vehicle tended to happen a fair few times in the default campaign.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Our Host!