probs with Campaign.txt and installing new maps

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
discomaster76
SDF!
SDF!

probs with Campaign.txt and installing new maps

Post by discomaster76 »

I made an awesome addon for FOT: BOS. This addon features a ton of variation to the original with many unit types, encounters, weapons, enemies and much more to come in the future but I have a problem. I made a bunch of new random encounter maps and I am having problems with getting FOT to read them.

So far the problem occurs at the world map when your team is wandering the desert. When a random encounter occurs and the new map tries to load, suddenly the game stops and I'm kicked back out to the main menu and there is an in-game error message that says map campaigns\missions\random\missionYxxx.mis cant be read.

The new random maps are simply modifications of the previous maps. To my knowledge the only differences these new maps present are new structures and tiles within the map plus a few new single player spawn points. the maps are numbered as such (missionY01b.mis) with a corresponding alphabet to signify it is a new map. The maps work fine if played seperately on multi play or as a stand-alone single mission, but the trouble occurrs when implemented within the campaign.

I'd appreciate anyone who shares their ideas. BTW this little addon I made kicks some major ass. I got Brotherhood forces patroling the wastes with new allies and enemies and new unit types for a significantly new experience every time. The weapons kick ass too, But i'm pissed at this point where my new random maps are unreadable
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

It's been ages since I've mucked around with random encounters but I think I've only got that error if it can't find the map, doublecheck that you've not made any typos in the path or filename etc.

You might also want to check that you've got the right number of brackets {} in your campaign text file, the whole landscape section should be enclosed in brackets but also check the 'forces' section as each instance is also enclosed as well as the section.

Just throwing ideas out here but did you use the correct type of spawn points? The default landscape maps have a single revisit spawn where the player will spawn and several single player spawns set to PI 0, which as far as I can tell control the number of possible instances your enemies will spawn not their position.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Our Host!