Cannot load campaign missions...

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Cannot load campaign missions...

Post by ogreb »

I want to open some of the campaign missions so I can I see scripting paths.
Especially force fields..
And linking triggers...
So if I write a trigger for turning off forcefield, but you have to repair it or use science first in order to use the switch to turn off the forcefield, that would be 2 seperate but linked triggers....right?
( You can do that right? Turn off those force fields? Robot Energy Barrier...and can the beams be linked?!
The only place I remember turning off one was the power plant in Buena Vista ( I live in Coloread Springs by the way...ground zero)

Anyway...I winzipped the other bos. file into core. and the editor runs fine.
I unzipped mismain. also, but when I click on Campaigns there is only the header folders...nothing inside, one says.
campaignbos.
missions.
....or something like that' but there is nothing in there...the only file I can open is the Campaign map...
I have tried re-win zipping it and over writing it...
I can open a few maps in the level editor part ( Ones pre made..like the Lost Vault ..Robotica..etc)

Just no campaign mission maps....Ideas?

Is it right in front of me?!

I have a really cool map made...but these scripting triggers is a real pain.

This is either ...the easiest editor to use ...or the hardest.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

The folder should go

campaigns\missions\core

There ought to be something in the core and special folders as the same patch that installed the editor also added new patched versions of several maps. At least all the bunkers and the first 3 missions plus a few others. If there's nothing there at all try using the booster to extract all the files, and reapply the patch. If there are some missions but not the one's you've extracted you probably didn't tick the folder names option in winzip and the files are all sitting in your core folder. Move them to the right folder but don't overwrite the patched maps.

To use science to turn off a force field just use a science switch instead of a normal one. You don't need a trigger just have the switch and door have the same tagname. Just like if you were using a key instead of a switch. To switch off multiple doors make sure they all have the same tagname.

You only need to add triggers if you want to factor in other elements like closing and locking the door behind you or having a switch on either side of the door and then having to use the different switches to get in and out. Check this thread out for some triggers. http://www.stgfc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1274
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Post by ogreb »

Thats where I put them...I tried re installing the file and no luck.
The files are there..thier just empty
Re install the patch, you say? Ok..Ill try that

The more I use this editor the more I understand...
...I wish I would have started years ago...I have a real good imagination and my maps look real good ( pats own back) Just kidding..

Back to the salt mines...actually vault mines...

Ahhhh...I see tiles!

Thanks..
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

How do you mean empty? What's the filesizes? Or do you mean when you open them up in the level editor they appear blank?

If the latter then either you haven't installed all the tiles to the right place or which maps are you trying to open? Some like preoria and canyon city weren't tiled from the origin, so when you open the map it appears to be blank. If you scroll down and left or ctrl & F4 then find an entity in the list and double click on it the screen should be repositioned to where there are tiles.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Post by ogreb »

Thank you!
I was dreading writing triggers for each door/light...
So If there is a key? As long as all tag names match..and entities are appropiately checked ( like where it says Keytagname=keyname)
It will go...?!

I'll save the more complicated triggers for the later maps...
I'll be finished with the first map ( actually it's the 6th map in the campaign..but it is the inspiration for this campaign...and one of the largest) in about a week...
I'd have it finished by now but I was off working on 3 maps at once...like a story teller who can't get it all down on paper fast enough...

Should have started years ago...

It will be 12 missions intertwined into the BoS campaign( maybe stand alone... depends on how it goes!)....

Thanks again...sorry about the stupid questions earlier...Took awhile before my rusty brain started up!
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Post by ogreb »

Thank you!
So If there is a key? As long as all tag names match..and entities are appropiately checked ( like where it says Keytagname=keyname)
It will go...?!

I'll save the more complicated triggers for the later maps...
I'll be finished with the first map ( actually it's the 6th map in the campaign..but it is the inspiration for this campaign...and one of the largest) in about a week...
I'd have it finished by now but I was off working on 3 maps at once...like a story teller who can't get it all down on paper fast enough...

Should have started years ago...

It will be 12 missions intertwined into the BoS campaign( maybe stand alone... depends on how it goes!)....

Thanks again...sorry about the stupid questions earlier...Took awhile before my rusty brain started up!
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

ogreb wrote:Thank you!
It will go...?!
Well you'll still need a trigger to turn on/off the lights, and for that you'll need a switch.

The one difference between using a key or a switch to open doors is that the key will only open one door at a time, while the switch will open them all at once.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Post by ogreb »

Yeah I just realized that about lights....

I've been testing my map and things have been going well...

Doors open...
Patrols patrol...
Now to the light triggers ( I was hoping it would be simpler)

My fault for doing the hardest map first...

Light triggers should be easy( I hope)

AI setting DUMMY...is Nuetral? Non Aggresive? or is it the AGGREsSION set to 0?
The more I use it the more I understand...

Thanks for your help...

Peace!
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Lights are fairly simple, depends on how you have them set up. Are they on all the time or do they need to be turned on as well as off, are they indoors or outdoors?

They just use the object script state action. There's a tutorial on lights at JJ's tutorial pages.

http://jj86tutorials.stgfc.com/more_tutorials.htm#10

The AI setting Dummy is really for the straw targets (used in the tutorials) I think if you set an actor to this option they won't do anything but stand there.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Post by ogreb »

I did it...Lights work! Trigggers aren't that hard!

But what do I need to do about starting map with lights out? Set switch to off?

Update...I tried it with light switch off..and it worked but the switch looks funny off=on...etc Oh well!( I have to check this again...I think I may have imagined it)

And I got door key to work...sweet!

Back to the vault mines...
Should be finished by next friday ( first map )

But my apprehension over triggers has vanished....

I'm testing maps by saving it as custom mission and using a custom entity...just walking around flipping switches..checking entities( and thier responses)
Checking stairs etc...

This is so cool!

As for the lights...the map is forced daylight start...

But there are caves( on all the time) and a massive...and I mean massive! Redoubt with 3 levels...some of the lights will be on all the time ( like emergency or night lights) with a main set of lights being able to be turned on ...different areas will have different switches.

The Redoubt ( vault) will be in stand by mode until you start exploring and flicking on switches and opening doors...finally as you open the wrong door..you will awaken the Redoubts computer...
Some entities will be friend...and some will be foes..some intially friendly will turn to foes..etc
There will be hints and notes about what happened to the inhabitants..it will also be the main focus of the campaign as you will have to return to it...and parts of it will change( if I can do that)
The area I want to change will be were the main entrance has been blocked by a rock slide...and later cleaned up( so vehicles can pass)
I will copy the map...and alter the tiles...

Speaking of vehicles...can AI pilot them?....so you can have a tank on tank battle? ( second to last battle)
The last battle will take place in a fortified sky scraper ( 10 floors..3 linked maps)

I have all maps( entities..plot all sketched out)

Ambitous huh?...but I have plenty of time...

AND NO! The Redoubt will not look like any vault in any Fallout game...it will look like what a real Redoubt would look like and function as...just wait until you see it!
Last edited by ogreb on Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Just have a seperate trigger at the beginning;

condition
always

action
set object script state <insert here> unticked

This will turn all the lights off the first time you enter the map.
Our Host!