The Books thread.

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:If we had compulsory military service, I would be dishonourably discharged within a week. Political correctness and such.
But I thought you were a tough guy? Are you saying you're just some redneck?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Spaghetti & Pulsar Activating Meatballs?

What's the deal with Dune? Is it actually good? Or something? Extricate.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote: If we had compulsory military service, I would be dishonourably discharged within a week.
And if we had compulsory military service, I would kick your ass, like omg *literally*.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

atoga wrote:What's the deal with Dune? Is it actually good? Or something? Extricate.
It's pretty good. It's also one of those books that takes only a few days to read.
Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude »

Your opinion of books must be horrible because I've read atleast half of those books and I wouldn't call them the best of anything. Recycled toliet paper for the whole lot.
::Sigh:: Your taste in books is of lower quality then 99% of the posts here.
Wooz wrote:Let's XXXX a snowman!

He'll have a happy face, a happy smile, a happy point of view.
If you xxxx me a snowman, then I'll xxxx one for you.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

*winces*

Needlessly harsh, Phil. :drunk:
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Dune is completely fantastic sci-fi, but Clancy is pure airplane reading. I liked his novels when I was twelve to fifteen because they had helicopters and guns and shit but they're not actually that great.

Just read some goddamn Vonnegut, you candyasses. Especially you, atoga.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I already have, you goddamn French Caucasoid.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Well, read more, you dirty damn hippie. And then go read some Douglas Coupland, who is also cool.

RPG Codex
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Dude. I've read virtually everything by Douglas Coupland (including most of his short stories and what not).

You've gotta wake up pretty early in the morning to get one over old atoga.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Spazmo wrote:Dune is completely fantastic sci-fi, but Clancy is pure airplane reading. I liked his novels when I was twelve to fifteen because they had helicopters and guns and shit but they're not actually that great.
My thoughts exactly. I have this huge brick of a book in my shelve called Rainbow Six and I loved it a few years back :dance: But lately, when I've tried to read Clancy in bed I've usually fell asleep before I got past page 12.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

I've always thought that Clancy's novels are VERY VERY good for young people or for foreigners trying to learn English. They're very simple stories, so they're easy to understand, but the English in them is very good, so that anyone trying to learn English gets a solid feel for the language and how to use it by reading that kind of stuff. I spent my youth (well, I'm still in it, but my earlier youth) reading pretty crappy books (well, I still do read pretty crappy books, but... shut up), and even though they weren't great literature, my English is much better than that of many other people my age so I can fake being well read.

RPG Codex
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I read Goosebumps books when I was younger. B)
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well I guess that was kinda obvious since you're a total OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone to begin with :salute:
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

Hey, don't be knocking Goosebumps. They scared the shit out of me when I was younger.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

I liked how the first two chapters would always end with a total scare! But then it'd just be the protagonist's bratty kid brother/sister... every time.

RPG Codex
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Fucking oath, that made me laugh like a SHARK. :drunk:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Yeah, they were extremely formulaic.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I liked it best when the kid might have to see a psychiatrist after telling his parents he saw a monster or whatever and at the end of the book he kills it with sunshines and lollipops and then his parents are like 'oh fuc-' and die.

I liked shivers better they were more realistic. Or mabye that halloween street or whatever. But not fucking animorphs.
:chew:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I've read all the Animorphs books. :sadblinky:
Our Host!