Should I buy?

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.

Is it worth buying FOT

Poll ended at Wed May 08, 2002 7:41 pm

Yeah, It's OK
83%
Hell No!
17%
Are you crazy?
No votes

Total votes: 6

Grizzly_UK
SDF!
SDF!

Should I buy?

Post by Grizzly_UK »

I'm thinking of buying FOT and just wanted all you good people to give your opinions!
True friends are few and far between so cherish the friends you have!
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Re: Should I buy?

Post by Viktor »

Grizzly_UK wrote:I'm thinking of buying FOT and just wanted all you good people to give your opinions!
A. Do you like real time stratedgy/tacticle games like X-Com?

B. Would you be put off of a game because:-

1. It's storyline is very linear
2. It's set in the Fallout universe between FO1 and FO2, but manages to contradict both in small ways?
3. The 'real life' weapons don't match real life very well?

If you said 'yes' to A and 'no' to all of B, go buy it!! Make SURE you patch to it V1.27 before playing!!!

If you said 'no' A and 'yes' to any of B. Save your money and keep playing FO1/2.

This has been a public service broadcast on behalf of the Support Fallout Tactics - "It's quite good!" Party of Great Britain
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Roving_Rabid_Raider »

FOT is a good game. I have some friends who are not so keen on the FO series, but they still buy it. Cos it's a really good game.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

I suppose the game is okay.

The major menace in the game are the robots - and they way they do the weapon balancing, if you aren't good at a very specific narrow range of weaponry, you're screwed (the only thing that works on robots are very powerful heavy weapons or the larger scale energy weapons).

I think they way they did this sucks, and furthermore I dont know how they did it to make the robots so tough (I pulled up the maps later in the game with the game's map editors and I cant find how they gave the robots such robust resistance to normal damage - because the robot characters themselves in .ent form dont have particularly formidable threshold/resistance to damage). It may be either the "tight nuts" robot trait or the fact that almost all robots are level 10+ that does it, I dunno (I heard a figure once that the humanoid robots have a damage threshold of 23 points for normal damage).

-----
When you get the game, invest the time to download the 16-18mb patch file (to v1.27), and go find a mod that fixes alot of the game's mistakes.

Since I dont think you'd get a very good first impression if you simply played the game start to finish before messing with it (like it's wise to do for most games).

Im working on a mod right now to fix the game's errors (simply changes stats on items and stuff), and many mods are already published.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I voted "hell yea!"

FOT is a good game, just not a good Fallout game. If you can handle the off-the-wall, linear storyline, by all means, get it. And, IP needs all the money they can get :)

And as an added bonus, you can play all the fanmaps that I've, Endocore, WalkterN, etc. have been making! :twisted:

Oh, and don't forget OTB's campaign....
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Vote, ''Yea, it's ok.

U are most likely to expect it to be like FO 1-2 witch both included things FOT just doesn't feature. Though it comes with the same name its quite a different game. Note i am NOT stating my dislike of the game in the above. I think of FOT as a fine episode in the line of 3 games.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Grizzly_UK
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Grizzly_UK »

Thanks to all for taking the time to vote and post replies, looks like that's my next game purchase! :)
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Good to hear! :D
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Grizzly_UK
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Grizzly_UK »

Well I guess that it'll help Interplay a little as well as giving me something new to play for a while! :)
Our Host!