Foreign Legion

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Foreign Legion

Post by johnnygothisgun »

I'm considering it. The white hats are nice, but I think it's the just the fact that I'd be referred to as a Legionnaire. Any takers?
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Re: Foreign Legion

Post by Redeye »

johnnygothisgun wrote:I'm considering it. The white hats are nice, but I think it's the just the fact that I'd be referred to as a Legionnaire. Any takers?
Would you be French for a kepi?
I have a book titled "The French Foreign Legion Today".
Very interesting. Even tempting. I doubt they still have the "field whores" - who were present even at Dien Bien Phu. Definitely not PC, and there was no mention of them in the book I own. I would like to try some "vinogel" - apparently it is the wine equivalent of powdered milk. Standard Issue! Yum!
They give you a hardshell backpack and you have to wear really dorky clothes, but you do get the FN P90c (something like that). Do remember that from FO2?
You have to learn French and after 5 years you become a citizen. This might cause legal problems back in the US. It is indicated that if you have some minor legal problems when you sign up, they will cover for you. So if you do sign up, be sure to commit some petty crimes first :).
Note: Starting in the 90's, many new FFL recruits are from the old Eastern Bloc, this should make things interesting. They even have, or had, paratroopers who served in Afghanistan in the 1980's. This brings up another possibility: French soldiers are now deployed in Afghanistan. Wanna bet where a Legionnaire might end up getting posted? If you have prior US mil. experience, they might make you a liason-guy.

Well, do your research. If you do sign up, post about it here. This might take a while, as you might not have access for a while and they do things like take your ID/passport/etc. and may even give you a new "french name".

Have fun.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Yeah, I'm well aware of their policy of changing names, it turns out they even have a set, age old process for doing so.

As for the field brothels, I've got a small wealth of knowledge relating to both Indochina wars, and I can provide you with a little bit of information on the whole setup.

There were actually two brothels at Dien Bien Phu, one of Vietnamese women, and one of North African women, since, as you probably know, the units fighting at Dien Bien Phu on the side of the French were from all over the world. However, once the Chinese arrived on the scene and it was realized that without American intervention the siege wasn't going to end until the French had tapped out, the women effectively became nurses in Grauwin's field hospital, although it's likely they continued their trade.

As for using an FN P90c... I believe the standard issue battle rifle is the FAMAS. The FN P90c is, I think, a Belgian design, whereas the FAMAS is a French one.
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

The FAMAS is also an unreliable piece of shit. I have a friend on Gamespy Arcade in the French Army and he says the gun is horrible.
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

[HpA]SniperPotato wrote:I have a friend on Gamespy Arcade.
I'm happy for you. :sadblinky:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

His shoes are untied? D;

Edit - I'm reading this www.foreignlegionlife.com website, which is interesting so far.

Edit #2 - This turned me off :
- Climb a 20 foot rope without using your feet.
- Run 8 kilometres with a 12 kilogram rucksack in less than one hour.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

That's about five miles carrying thirty pounds. It's not that unreasonable, given that you have an hour.

I was always bad at climbing ropes, though.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Maybe that's cause you're too fat D:
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

Nico you're a dick. :finger:
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Oh, okay.. I see. :sadblinky:
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

ApTyp wrote:Maybe that's cause you're too fat D:
I'm six feet tall and weigh about one hundred and seventy pounds. I'll admit, I've been feeling weak since leaving my job.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

johnnygothisgun wrote:Yeah, I'm well aware of their policy of changing names, it turns out they even have a set, age old process for doing so.

As for the field brothels, I've got a small wealth of knowledge relating to both Indochina wars, and I can provide you with a little bit of information on the whole setup.

There were actually two brothels at Dien Bien Phu, one of Vietnamese women, and one of North African women, since, as you probably know, the units fighting at Dien Bien Phu on the side of the French were from all over the world. However, once the Chinese arrived on the scene and it was realized that without American intervention the siege wasn't going to end until the French had tapped out, the women effectively became nurses in Grauwin's field hospital, although it's likely they continued their trade.

As for using an FN P90c... I believe the standard issue battle rifle is the FAMAS. The FN P90c is, I think, a Belgian design, whereas the FAMAS is a French one.

I thought the "FN" part didn't fit, I just remember it being a smallish weapon.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

I don't know anything about weapons really, but I remember the P90C in Fallout being an H&K P90C? And there was also something called an FN FAL? Or something.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Dan wrote:I don't know anything about weapons really, but I remember the P90C in Fallout being an H&K P90C? And there was also something called an FN FAL? Or something.

Das P90c:

Das FAMAS:

And das FN FAL, which is a much older gun, still common in many militaries around the world:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Guns!!! Yay, just what this thread needed!
johnnygothisgun wrote:Yeah, I'm well aware of their policy of changing names, it turns out they even have a set, age old process for doing so.
It's in the French law. All citizens must have names from the French calendar of saints, that's why.

Not long ago there was this Finnish guy on TV that had been in the Foreign Legion... He wrote a book or something and was kinda advertising it. So, anyways, he says it was total hell. They sent the Legionares to places where not a single overly-patriotic man of arms would go. The most shittiest jobs of the shittiest jobs are Legionares' every day bread.

Since the Foreign Legion is mostly compromised of foreigners, duh, and low scum of the society, most of the France doesn't give a fuck what happens to them. Whether they die in South-East Asian jungles or African deserts, the average French-Louís couldn't care less.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Kashluk wrote:It's in the French law. All citizens must have names from the French calendar of saints, that's why.
Eh, maybe in the military, but certainly not all french citizens.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Hm... can't find it from the French Law on-line... but I'm sure I read it somewhere that it was so... Heavy emphasis on "was", because it could've been from some history book or chit :?
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Of course "was", that law is completely monstrous. There's a significant Muslim population in France.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yeah... It's damn weird, because I remember reading it from some paper / book not so long ago. It went along something like "(...) no Jakes or Darrens accross the Canal, though. All French names must be from the calendar of saints (...)". Shiat. Could've been just a dumb joke, though.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Kashluk wrote:Yeah... It's damn weird, because I remember reading it from some paper / book not so long ago. It went along something like "(...) no Jakes or Darrens accross the Canal, though. All French names must be from the calendar of saints (...)". Shiat. Could've been just a dumb joke, though.
No Laquisha? Moesha? Was there ever a St.Leroy?
How about Moonbeam, Shasta, Rainbow?
River? Chelsea?
Our Host!