Wasteland Merc 2 Released

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Riviner_
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Riviner_ »

Hello guys thanks for the nice job in the mod. I too (really?) had a kind of harsh and uninspiring start. At first i was almost losing my mind when dying in every single encounter if not running away (and that's not the proper way to gather experience points i can tell you) but after few tries i managed to salvage pair of spiked knuckles and from there on i've been beating the hell out of it, but also noticed that i'm seriously using more of those skills that i haven't payed much attention before in fallout(s) (like outdoorsmans, bartner, first aid, doctor and unarmed so far... which is nice) but now i'm actually staying alive and i don't (for the most part) mind the "hard reality" of the wastes, of not always being the "chosen one" and it really feels like it. Survival of the fittest.

When i first time arrived Haven i thought, wow this map sucks (no offence) but after that rest of the maps all been quite interesting (thou there's still whole lotta work on that department, maybe to make every map "unique" so to speak)

Southern parts seems very hostile and don't have any reason to go there without proper preparation for a while (more radiation to give that warm 'n' gozy feeling and mutants greeting with open arms) but i'm getting there.

The biggest problem of them all (as i think most people can agree with me) is that there's no general guideline to follow, story. Not even a proper missions (and no, those fech-me-some-firewood (and alike) are not missions) so that might be that thing that stops me eventually from coming back. On the other hand i like how hard the mod is generally (mainly because there isn't gun in every kid you run up to in the streets) just got my first crossbow few minutes ago and that things a killer :) so atleast discovering new-new weapons is one motivation.

I would also like to try that whole mining-business, but i'm wondering what's up with all the cooking? i mean, i tried to cook (for a test) about 50 raw meats, but none of them eventually cooked as proper meal :clap: so do i need some skill for that aswell? anyways, i'm glad the mod got out and there's some real potential in it, more work on the story and it should be fine. I also like the idea of that mining/fishing -thing, it's just a nice bonus and it gives some rather nice variation to the wasteland life. Keep on doing the good work guys and sorry for the bible-long typing. It's like when i start i just can't stop :hahano: usually that's a bad thing...

EDIT: And also, what's up with that killing in "special ways"? Does that mean like blowing guys up literally, or melt them away so the loot drops? if so, then... hmm... well... hmmmmmmm...
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Does the line "Cooking with outdoorsman skill" in the readme file tell you something. :) Without outdoorsman skill your lousy cook and will burn most of the food. You know you can allso cook scorpion tails. They are eazyer to cook. Well it is an imitation of mmorpg games but in fallout 2 world and not online. :chew: You will eather love it or hate it. And for the hardness thing. I hate to eazy games. I want a reazon to raise my char to level 99.
Mr_Newbie
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mr_Newbie »

yeah, be that as it may, you dont have to throw us in at the bloody deep end do you?
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

w00t :?
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

Well. I wouldn't go that far, I still plan on playing it. However I don't quite understand why the radiation is there to begin with. Since you've explained it's not as bad as I perhaps thought. I'll think of it less as a major inconvenience.

As far as the overall quality of the game. I think it has potential. I'm hoping to see how it progresses as I play it more.
Riviner_
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Riviner_ »

Haris wrote:Does the line "Cooking with outdoorsman skill" in the readme file tell you something. :) Without outdoorsman skill your lousy cook and will burn most of the food. You know you can allso cook scorpion tails. They are eazyer to cook. Well it is an imitation of mmorpg games but in fallout 2 world and not online. :chew: You will eather love it or hate it. And for the hardness thing. I hate to eazy games. I want a reazon to raise my char to level 99.
Well, i thought the readme has the same info as the opener --> "*Cooking by using raw food on any of the ovens." but thanks, that sorts it out then, it's interesting i can "burn" even as simple thing as steaks with intelligence above 3 :) but anyways, i can get so much meat out of brahmins (now when i noticed it) that's it great, and it's good there's also use for those scorpion tails rather then selling them, thanks for the answer... back to to wastes then...
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Just watch out, its one addictive mod. :chew:
Dragonfly
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dragonfly »

I've tryed out your mod. Here is my opinion about it:

- The idea, that the character (in some ways) has a need to feed, is a great one.
- Crafting, mining, fishing etc. is also.
- But all the towns look too... silly. All the towns are just a bunch of houses, placed next to each other.
- The towns are very close to each other. Why?
- There is no story. No motivation for the player, only to collect more loot and experience.
- The missions are all the same: get me x things. No intrics, crime jobs, stealth missions, no nothing.
- The only NPC to talk with, are who give you the "missions". There's nobody to talk with, no NPC's, that i can like, or dislike
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Maybe you should keep playing it a bit more. :chew: Here is the example: You can rescue children from raiders and return them to Trashyard to get money for them. Or you can go to slavers and sell em for more money and lose some karma. Now if that isnt story and different choices and stuff like that than what is? Another one would be that you can chose 3 sides to work for. Slavers (evil), Brotherhood of steel(good) or Kingpin(neutral). If you cooperate to much with slavers or with brotherhood other 2 will refuse to work with you. And you can work for all 3 as long as your karma isnt to low or to high.

And there are bounch of regular talking npcs that give absolutley no quests. You just seem to have played for some short time. And its not all get me x item and i give you amounto of money. Sure there is 50 of those missions but they are needed for the purpose of clearing out those 10 combat areas that randomly drop those items that they want. But than there are plenty of npc that want different stuff than just x item for amount of money. Just keep playing and you will see.

Plus dont expect a plot in chosen or vault dweller stile. Your a merc in this mod. It means payed soldier. One that fights for money.

And stealth missions. Well fighting areas can be cleaned out by sneaking past enemies. And boxes that contain those items that those 50 mission givers want must be lockpicked. And the better random stuff they can contain the better lockpick skill you need and the bigger chance of it being traped there is.
drackill
SDF!
SDF!

Post by drackill »

" Now if that isn’t story and different choices and stuff like that than what is?" Yes choices, but how you have gone about with dialogue makes the choices seem uncreative and repetitive.

I have just tried this mod out, as it sounded like it had a lot going for it, but firstly you start with nothing, no weapons, no basic armor? no money...but what caused me most concern is the fact that the player started with no story, no "goal" just in a rather bland metal room with some corpses in the corner. Why the corpses there? Who knows? This gives me no motivation at all to continue and experience all the choices you apparently offer in your mod.

I did however continue to the first village heaven or hevan if I remember correctly...once again lack of depth with dialogue, some of the convos were badly thought through, and you end up knowing their names without them telling you who they are . The dialogue is cold, and feels like its being told without emotion, and also often there is only one or two choices for the conversations with the different npcs. Everyone offered me a mission, which is a good point I guess but when there’s no reason for the missions as the only way my character will evolve is through experience by taking these missions not actually develop his/her personality and learn more about their past etc.

I think its good you have spent so much time making this mod. I do enjoy the idea of it, and all the new different elements added onto it, but perhaps it would be a good idea to get some fairly good writers to help you out with the story to pan it out and then it would be truly great. It just feels like it’s missing a lot and that it shouldn't have been released yet.

Thank you all the same however and keep up the good work.
Riviner_
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Riviner_ »

Ok, few things: there must be experience gained when mining/fishing, as others that use skills aswell do (maybe like 100-150xp, when succeeding of course) and second, caves for animals to live and us to kill. Those of us that nag about the mod (and remember guys, it's a mod) should start making those maps and writing scripts to help then, eh? :)

well damn, i'm kind of clueless now what to do next. Merchants running out of bolts and still without better weapon and there seems to floaters, centaurs and deathclaws everywhere, so... aah :/ patience is the name of the game i guess :) *level 14* -->
::: Kills :::
Men ............ 069
Women .......... 030
Brahmin ........ 076
Radscorpions ... 094
Rats ........... 006
Robots ......... 009
Dogs ........... 080
Manti .......... 065
Plants ......... 104
Geckos ......... 044
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

You can make money and expirience just by crafting. You sell the crafted items to eather brotherhood, slavers or kingpin. Than you go to black market and waste your money on DNA injections that give exp.

And i really dont care about whining people. This mod is finished as it is. I aint changing nothing in it.
Norrec
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Norrec »

Haris wrote: This mod is finished as it is. I aint changing nothing in it.
I wasn't going to even say anything until I read that. I assumed by the sheer lack of fun in this game that it was an early model, and that it would get better. From the fact that nothing is ever, ever, ever explained, to the low amount of weaponry one can find (I found a knife in a town, been using that ever since with an average hit rate of around 72% tops with melee tagged) To the lack of meaningful conversation with pretty much anything in the entire game ("Hello, I am Norrec. What's going on in this town, and is there any way I can help make it easier for everyone to survive in this wasteland?" "BRING ME STUFF I GIVE MONEYS OK THX BYEBYE") the possible fun that could have been had was sucked out in a horrendously short amount of time. I assumed that this mod was going to be continued upon, and that these problems were going to be rectified.

What happened, exactly, in the beginning? Did I just wake up in the wasteland with no memory of what happened? Why don't I have any equipment whatsoever? How did I even GET there without any equipment whatsoever? Did some drunken idiots drag me there when I was asleep or something? Why is there such a staggeringly large amount of radiation, enough so to render the entire area one giant microwave with horrendous beasts inside? Does the creator of this mod think having permanent damage to your character and reading about how he is ill is fun? Why do people immediately see me and figure "Hey, he looks like a reasonable person, why don't I tell him about my embarrassing personal problem and offer to give him money in exchange for rubber blow up dolls"? Why doesn't killing rats give you any experience? It gave you experience in the last few fallout games, why should it be different now?

"In this sequel of wasteland merc we have taken MMORPG elements to the max in the fallout 2 setting." Perhaps this is the problem? The only real reason people play MMORPGs in the first place is to interact with others, basically. No one is here to interact with, and even the npcs seem to want to forget about you except when they need you to fetch something for them. Of course, even in MMORPGs you usually start out with something, anything, and can gain experience by killing rats for awhile before moving on to something else.

I could find no redeeming factors in this mod. It wasn't fun. It wasn't interesting. I couldn't find any story whatsoever. Even the fun of hurting things wasn't there because I couldn't get strong enough to really hurt anything. Cooking and crafting and fishing aren't explained at all. And you've made two of these?

If you weren't trying to be clever by saying that because you said "I ain't changing nothing" that it was a double negative and that means you're changing something to make it for the better, then shame on you. Shame on you.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

how the hell do I get this mod working?

I copied all the files into the FO2 dir, started a new game, but everything remained the same, stupid arroyo quests, same characters etc?
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Norrec maybe you should try playing fallout 1 and 2 first so you learn how to play fallout games. But i guess some poeple just need an explanation for everything or they wont get it. We actually did beta test this game and we had no problem menaging in it.

But than again maybe you have mistaken this mod for being fallout 3 or one of those mods where fans are promising to make fan made fallout 3 like mutant rising or fmf or fanout wich no longer exists. WM2 is a conversion mod. Mean it aims to bring different gameplay to the game. Like counter strike brought different gameplay to half life.

Here is the walktrough started. Its still in progress.
http://pcgames.atspace.com/games/walkth ... uide16.htm

And yes its true. This is finished mod. Its not beta or version 0.9. Its version 1.0 with no plans what so ever to release any addons yet.

And from complains that i heard from some poeple here are from thos that didnt reach past level 6-9. There was plenty of these kinda coments in wasteland merc forums and after a while when i explained to them how game is played they actually started liking it.

Thor Kaufman
I am guessing you took that folder called Wasteland merc 2 and put in to fallout 2 folder. You need to open Wasteland merc 2 folder and than move all files from it to fallout 2 folder. If this wasnt the case that you probebly have patch000 in your fallout 2 folder. Than you should just remove that.
Norrec
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Norrec »

Haris wrote:Norrec maybe you should try playing fallout 1 and 2 first so you learn how to play fallout games.
Um, first of all, this is a mod of Fallout 2. If I didn't have a copy of Fallout 2, I wouldn't be able to play it, right? And since I have a copy, logic dictates that I've most likely played it before. And I have. I've beaten both the Master and the Enclave in bost of their dastardly plans (Even though the Master was just trying to make things better when you think about it.)

I know how to play Fallout games. And I even mentioned that in previous Fallout games you got exp for killing rats. But you've started us out in a situation in which we don't have a choice but to take a large amount of radiation, causing permament stat damage to my character no matter what I do. Is it all just a way to show how badass the Brotherhood of Steel (I assume that is who they are) are in that they can take over such an area so easily? I suggest you play those games in order to figure out how to start off a character, and perhaps take an hour or so out of your day to think of a story. I honestly think that your mod can be improved quite a bit, and that is part of the reason I was a little mad in my previous post.

A big problem is that outside of combat, there is no real way to get experience. And you won't last very long in combat without that experience. I understand that surviving in the wasteland is supposed to be hard, but throw us a bone here, not in the form of powerful weapons and armor, but in the form of getting experience easier. Remember the Temple of Trials? One of the reasons you're thrown in there is to set you up against relatively easy enemies for exp. I think that you should add at least one area in which you can fight Giant Ants and such for awhile, since you don't seem to want us to fight rats for anything other then meat.

How do you expect us to even get to level 3, let alone 6-9? This is an exercise in tedium, without the fun of talking to other people while doing it that an average MMORPG gives you.

Am I missing something? I feel as though I might be...
Last edited by Norrec on Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Haris wrote:Norrec maybe you should try playing fallout 1 and 2 first so you learn how to play fallout games.
No, bullshit. I saw you say this before, that's bullshit.

You can be a Fallout-pro and not really get what this is about. Yes, they're on the same engine, but that's about it. All the logical connections between skills and effects we know from Fallout are lacking in this game. In Fallout, if I tagged speech, I'd better damn well be able to use it to have actual conversations and, as mentioned above, conversation is fairly limited to either "Fetch me..." or "Some info lol".

Being good at this mod has nothing to do with being good at Fallout, don't insult people like that, the skills required for this mod are knowledge of how Fallout combat works and apt use of quick-save and load.
Haris wrote:But than again maybe you have mistaken this mod for being fallout 3 or one of those mods where fans are promising to make fan made fallout 3 like mutant rising or fmf or fanout wich no longer exists. WM2 is a conversion mod. Mean it aims to bring different gameplay to the game. Like counter strike brought different gameplay to half life.
Ok, but that doesn't give us any reason to like it, now does it? I'm not going to adapt the fact that I want to have fun playing it to your envisioned goal.

I'll admit I'm not very far down the line, level 4 right now, but so far this has been little less than absolutely frustrating. I can't believe that I had to run through all the packed-together towns just to get a shitload of fetch quests, of which I have to keep note *myself*, which is very, very annoying.

And then what's left? Combat? Well whoopdidoo. Maybe having to fight your way through hordes of rats and brahmin, hiding in doorways to fight them one at a time and fleeing from hordes of dogs whenever you bump into them is a good time in your view, but shit, I think a lot of people would find it boring.

And what am I doing it for? This thing has no setting, no backstory, the towns are all faceless and uninteresting, with nobody to explain what they're about, just loads of people shitting fetch-quests over you. So why am I fighting hordes of bahmin/rats/"cannibals" (who have pretty inappropriate floating texts)? Survival? Like I care. Survival is hardly a goal to be "reached", now is it?

Scrounging together money for the next bit of armour is fun in a hack-n-slash like Diablo. Do you know why? Because in Diablo, the combat is fun. Challenging, even if you go at it tactically and impossible if you go at it bluntly. And a very important added factor is the fact that Diablo has nice, fast-paced combat. Not too fast, not too slow. Fighting hordes like you do in Diablo doesn't work turnbased, now does it?

Yet that's exactly what you try to do in this mod. That's horrible, it really is. Fallout wasn't designed to have players progress purely by tedious, difficult combat, it was designed to be a CRPG, not a hack-n-slash, the engine just doesn't twist that way and you've made no effort to make it so.

And the design is just lazy, with little thought put into it

Hell, maybe, just maybe, the basic premise would've worked if you put some effort into it to make a balanced game. Start with a little stuff that *isn't hidden in stupid points over several uninteresting towns that you have no reason to stay in*, progress with an actual storyline and instructions on how to get from town a to b (Fallout's worldmap was designed to have locations marked down on it, not to have the player search for the bloody locations manually)

Also remember that I don't want to have to read a walkthrough to be able to play a game. Basic instructions but more importantly the game itself giving nudges as to how to play, either by trial-and-error or otherwise, helps a lot. The need for DETAILED instructions from your side again shows bad and lazy design.

Maybe you should think about the fact that so many people dislike this mod. Perhaps we don't want this kind of shitty mod implemented on Fallout. If you want to build them, sure, but don't get upset if they're not generally well-liked.
Haris wrote:It is mod that gives you a reazon to raise your char to level 70-90.
Good Lord, I felt obligated to give this a try and even feel a guilt-trip to play it through, but I definitely won't if I have to keep up this tedious combat until level fucking 70. Shit, man, that's just fucked up.

I understand you like difficult games, but there's a difference between a game being challenging or a game just asking for a shitload of patience. Fallout was challenging because you had to *think* about how to solve quests and find things, such as the water chip. Combat added to the challenge, but I'd have hated it if I had to spend Fallout 2 doing the same as I had to do for WM2 combat; *constant* saving-loading. This game isn't difficult, it's just annoying, and I guess the challenge lies in putting up with it long enough to finish it
DarkUnderlord wrote:If anyone gives this a shot, I'm interested in their opinions on the fishing, mining and all that. We're still undecided whether we want to include any of this (though mainly the fishing and cooking) in a "Real" Fallout game or whether it'd be taking the game down a path where it shouldn't be going. Certainly not removing stimpaks from the game but the cooking is "something interesting" which a few people might get a kick out of. Given it'd just be a matter of nicking Haris' scripts from this mod, it's not hard to implement either.
No.

In fact, this mod should be set as a shining example of what not to do when modding Fallout. Apart from it being pretty much a piece of shit, it's originally design was to diverge AWAY from the Fallout gaming world, which is not something you or MR or any of the Fallout full gaming mods wants to achieve.

Fishing, mining and food are all out-of-context in the way the Fallout setting operates, especially if you keep stimpaks (eating meat heals just like a chemical device does? Yeah right, logical mistake there). That kind of scrounging belongs to "pack-mule" games, such as Diablo but also such as real CRPGs like RoA and Ultima, where part of the goal is simply to stack random items for both fetch-quests and to forge other items with.

It could be implemented to fit into a Fallout game, I guess, but it doesn't fit it like a glove and would probably ruin a lot of gameplay if it were unavoidable, as it is in WM2.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Mr_Newbie
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mr_Newbie »

And i really dont care about whining people. This mod is finished as it is. I aint changing nothing in it.
you dont? will sir, to me that says you cannot take critiscism, constructive or otherwise.
porksoda
SDF!
SDF!

Post by porksoda »

Norrec wrote:.. you've started us out in a situation in which we don't have a choice but to take a large amount of radiation, causing permament stat damage to my character no matter what I do....
Aside from the little red radiation warning on the bottom left of my screen, and occasionally having my character stop on the worldmap to puke or whatnot, i see no radiation effects on my character yet.. altho he's just level 3 right now.
I think that you should add at least one area in which you can fight Giant Ants and such for awhile, since you don't seem to want us to fight rats for anything other then meat.
How do you expect us to even get to level 3, let alone 6-9?
Dont stray too many squares away from the first few towns you run across, run away from packs of dogs (duh) until you are strong enough to deal with them. The encounters that happen close to towns are relatively easy to deal with, if ya ask me.
Am I missing something? I feel as though I might be...
I think ya are.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Kharn speach does mather in this mod. You just havent figured it out yet. And so far i have gotten more positiv feedback on this mod than negative. Only thing is that most negative feedback as usual comes from dac and nma forum posters.

And walktrough was not designed just cause nobody could figure out how the game was played. There was plenty of poeple that raised there char to level 20+ with no walktrough. Walktrough is mostly for those that dont get that you can actually run away from dogs and tactically kill stuff in wasteland. Instead they just say "oh no brahmin killed me. this mod sucks"

And Kharn, seriosly, at level 4 you made fatass opinion about the mod. Metioning tons of stuff that mod has as if it is missing it. I dont even wanna get in to it. Just keep playing it and you will see that you where wrong here.

Oh and here is the list of skills that are more usefull to raise in this mod than they where in both fallout 1 and 2.

Outdoorman
Speech
Repair
Science
Doctor
Throwing weapons
Unarmed
Energy weapons
Lockpicking
Sneaking
Only skill that was more usefull in fallout 1 and 2 is stealing and gambling
Rest of skills where equally usefull