Fucking SATA.

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Fucking SATA.

Post by Burnov »

Ok. I have this funny problem with my computer. The secondary harddrive is serial ATA. Occasionally I'll have problems with it just not wanting to boot up. I will note that no changes to the system usually happen during these periods. So it in no way can be driver related unless the drivers themselves are being fucked with by damage from some kind of malicious software.

One problem I do have is the SATA cable doesn't really seat too well on the input for both the drive or on the mainboard.

Usually just repositioning it so it's on better usually fixes the problem. This time. However nothing's working.

Are my SATA ports fucked or what?

Anyone?
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

Huh?

Why are you asking this here? Do we look like a Dell Online Support Centre?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

if it looks like the cables aren't seating probably then use more force. Its probably that they are just stiff since most of the computer crap you have to use some elbow grease.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Re: Fucking SATA.

Post by Blargh »

Burnov wrote:Ok.
Okay !
Burnov wrote:I have this funny problem with my computer.
You too ?
Burnov wrote:Occasionally I'll have problems with it just not wanting to boot up.
You too ?
Burnov wrote:I will note that no changes to the system usually happen during these periods.
You too ?
Burnov wrote:However nothing's working.
You too ?
Burnov wrote:Are my SATA ports fucked or what?
Yes.
Burnov wrote:Anyone?
No. :drunk:
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

:drunk::chainsaw:
Jinxed
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Jinxed »

I want to get SATA myself. From what I heared you need to be careful manhandling those cables because they aren't exactly made of titanium.

Did you try switching it to another port on your mainboard? All of them can't die at once.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Why does an issue with your secondary harddrive keep you from booting?

Does it stop during the SATA detection or something?
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yeah, that's what bugged me as well. I've heard of booting / OS installing issues with SATA-drives, but only when they're primary. I think that's because older Windowses don't support SATA straight away (win2k post-sp3 / winxp post-sp2 I guess), but they need some special gimmicky-gimmicks to run properly.

I've never had any problems though. Even when all my drives, primary and secondary, are serial ATA drives.

I suggest you give Dell Online Support Centre a try.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

No no no.

My Paralell ATA drive. Boots fine. That's my boot drive. It's got windurz xp and everything on it. So essentially my pc is running fine....

EXCEPT ALL MY GAMES ARE ON THE SATA DRIVE.

My PATA drive is basically scavenged from an old pc and it's not that great. It's a 4700 rpm 40 gig dohickey.

So basically my problem is all my games and everything that's interesting is on the drive that won't boot.

Now I don't know too much about SATA drives. I'd figure if it was defective it would make noises that would indicate something is fundamentally wrong with the drive itself. This is not the case with this drive. It was working just dandy before I restarted and the drive just refused to boot again.

I'm going to buy another SATA cable. I'm just hoping either of my controllers aren't fucked. I don't quite know how to determine that by myself however. I'm seriously eyeballing my cable as the culprit at this point. We'll see though. It's happened once already. It could happen again.

My advice. Don't rely on SATA. It's a goddamned pain in the ass. Maybe SATA 2 will be better. However I'd go with a really fast IDE if you can.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

There's a saying in Finland:

"You just can't."
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Get it some flowers, let it know you still love it and you don't just use it for satisfaction.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

sata is not really noticably faster than the ultra one. I bought sata becuase I thought it would be faster but it was all bullcrap.

Why not just get rid of your old primrary drive? Or like install new sata controller drivers.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

I don't know about speed but it apparently uses a fraction of the power.

The maximum transfer rate might be higher than normal ATA but it all depends on your drive speed anyway you know.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

And the cables, ach! They are so slim.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

So sexy.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

They fit in so well where they most count D;
"Banned in 2 posts" :salute:
Subhuman wrote:A guy ripping open his anus, a man in chaps getting fucked by a horse, and a girl spewing enema all over her face in a bathtub are okay, but a 15 year-old's cock is off-limits. Only on DAC.
King of Creation wrote: Aaannnnnnnnd to the wasteland :salute:
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Kashluk wrote:And the cables, ach! They are so slim.
That is the biggest reason why I'm considering switching to SATA sometime in the next few years. Making 80-gauge IDE cables fit in a cramped case is a real PITA. They don't look to great either. I know there's always the rounded cables, but I have plenty of regular ones here, and I'm not gonna waste cash on something that already works. Damn aesthetics.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Well, SATA cables are indeed really nice compared to those fucking ribbons, but you'll probably still have one or more for your optical drive or diskette.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Who's still got diskette drives? Even Dell got rid of them for, what, 2 years ago?
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Why wouldn't you have them? They cost like 10 dollars if you somehow don't have one laying around already, and they are still somewhat useful. I always use one just in case.
Our Host!