Two years on VAN BUREN IS ALLLIIIIVE

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Raymondo wrote:
Mr. Teatime wrote:aww pooper, why am I on your list?
Yeah, and why the hell aren't I? :'( I thought we had something, Pooper. :: cries :: I still love you though.
I keep the private list in the vault :eyebrow:

Darkunderlord basically sums it up, Kharn is a swell guy
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Yep, nice post DU, especially since DU has always avoided the whole DaC vs NMA thing.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

DarkUnderlord wrote:However, this is taking it too far. Members of DAC aren't on NMA right now posting about how much Van Buren is dead. In fact, the entire thread at NMA is people say "Wow, cool" - which is great, there's nothing against that. But just because DAC decides to make a post saying "Hey guys, here's some more news about this DEAD game" doesn't make this some kind of Anti-NMA BS.
Hmmm. Well one thing I surely have to admit to is that us coming over and posting all over the thread is a bit too much, yeah.
DarkUnderlord wrote:2. How is that poll personal? Seriously? Is it the Anti-NMA poll? Does it have "How much does NMA suck?" as the question? Is there anything about NMA there AT ALL? Nope. It's all about an issue related to a thread which is at... 5 pages now. It's a contentious issue. We have one camp saying we shouldn't post anything on it and another camp saying hey, post more about it! So I made a poll asking if we should stop posting Van Buren news. Especially seeing as everytime we do and dare mention that "hey guys, the thing's dead by the way", we get a flurry of NMA admins over here ranting and raving about how we're out to get them.
You would be right, except that this stuff has a loaded history. Take the VB pictures-post you posted below. For some reason (I wasn't involved in the damn thing) NMA got more pics than DaC. This is unfair and pissed Teatime off. Justly so. But you have to realise, the whole Van Buren thing was troubled from the start. Because DaC wasn't around much in those days NMA was there around VB and you were not, while Saint Prov proclaimed it Abandonware the moment it was announced (justly, in hindsight). I'm sure that if history went differently DaC wouldn't be as agressive about it.

And yes, it has become a personal issue long ago. Why? Because you can't disattach the release of Van Buren info from NMA or people like Briosa. You might as well say we shouldn't take any notice of RPGCodex' many remarks about how stupid the questions in our Fallout dev profile interviews are. I have to note here that in both cases, the trickling of VB info and the strange habit of asking all devs, I find the criticism pretty justified, that's not my problem with it.

It is a personal issue, though. Van Buren info isn't our "thing" or anything, it isn't our end-all be-all or by far the most important thing we do, but it was important around the collapse of Van Buren info and it is directly related to our site, especially as we're the only one releasing it. It's like Rex getting offended at me saying covering HG:L is a waste of time (which I didn't, by the way, but it looked that way).

Ok, I promise I won't take it personally from now on, you guys convinced me. Honestly. But set asides from that, your posts don't only piss off us admins. Again, I'd like to work together with DaC fluently, but it's not easy if every now and again you make a newspost that many of the NMA readerbase know or interpret to be an insult towards us.

For comparison purposes, you remember the You Are Empty thing? I thought it wasn't newsworthy, as it was a FPS, but decided to cover it as a kind of nod to you people. No, I'm not saying you have to start posting like we do, but I am saying some curteous civility would make things a lot easier
DarkUnderlord wrote:My personal opinion is that even though the game is dead, posting news about it "makes sense". Especially stuff that's not been heard before. We are after all, predominantly a Fallout site so posting news about Fallout stuff kind of makes sense now, doesn't it? The only thing we're doing differently is throwing in some friendly reminders on how dead the game is while we're at it. Saying "it's dead" is also a gentle reminder to the person / persons responsible behind painfully slowly leaking Van Buren stuff that "Hey, how long are we going to keep this up for"? I don't particularly care whether it's Briosafreak releasing it slowly as news bits or whether it's Sawyer, Chris, JFK or Elvis.
Hey, I'm not happy about the slow leaks either, for all clarity.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

So you're saying, I should withhold my opinion from any news posts to do with Van Buren - my opinion which I feel free to give on any other news I make - because NMA like the game? Or, wait, it's because you posted some news on You Are Empty when DaC did (WOW THANKS GUYS I SHURE APPRESHIATE THAT!!?!?) Surely your feelings aren't that fragile, and surely you can't be that patronising?

Don't take it so fucking personally. I'm gonna continue to post about it being DEAD when it comes up. It makes posting the news a lot more interesting for me anyway, since I have nothing else to say about the game that I didn't say two years ago. If another news poster gets to the news before me, well, they're free to say how they feel. Maybe they love it. I just can't believe this is such a big deal to you, but it sure is funny that it is.

EDIT: Llamagod just linked me to an ancient thread on NMA. I see the geniuses of wit over there have changed my avatar and title. WAIT I TAKE IT ALL BACK, I'LL EDIT MY NEWS POSTS BECAUSE NMA ASKED ME TO!!!
You have to admit, it's a bit rich, asking for favours because of 'brotherly love'.
Last edited by Mr. Teatime on Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Somehow I can't help but feel your opinion would be quite different if the situation were reversed or, hell, if you were still an NMA'er rather than having moved over to DaC.

But hey, it's all good, man, all good.
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

We should have a death match between you two, That be a hell lot more interesting then the last few pages, quick everyone to the arena :drunk:
Last edited by hat_man99 on Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Banned in 2 posts" :salute:
Subhuman wrote:A guy ripping open his anus, a man in chaps getting fucked by a horse, and a girl spewing enema all over her face in a bathtub are okay, but a 15 year-old's cock is off-limits. Only on DAC.
King of Creation wrote: Aaannnnnnnnd to the wasteland :salute:
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Not really. You forget Teatime is British.

Ever seen a Brit in a deathmatch? It's like watching Thatcher drink tea.
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

I have back when i went up to my family in england they had fight club, back when i was young my family was the champs, and still are, but then again my family came from denmark and a bit from ireland so there was really no point to this post

Shit :drunk:
"Banned in 2 posts" :salute:
Subhuman wrote:A guy ripping open his anus, a man in chaps getting fucked by a horse, and a girl spewing enema all over her face in a bathtub are okay, but a 15 year-old's cock is off-limits. Only on DAC.
King of Creation wrote: Aaannnnnnnnd to the wasteland :salute:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Egad ! Teatime and Kharn, in some woeful duet, certainly know how best to weave a maelstrom of wearisome, pedantic shite about them.

You both make me sadder than you do when acting separately. That is to say, very, very sad. Fortunately, this whole issue defines inconsequentiality, and so I stave off the tears of pain and anguish, put away the razors and ketamine, and go about my day.

Such a waste. :drunk:
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I am merely defending my honour!
But yeah, it's tiresome if you take it too seriously.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Blargh wrote:Egad ! Teatime and Kharn, in some woeful duet, certainly know how best to weave a maelstrom of wearisome, pedantic shite about them.

You both make me sadder than you do when acting separately. That is to say, very, very sad. Fortunately, this whole issue defines inconsequentiality, and so I stave off the tears of pain and anguish, put away the razors and ketamine, and go about my day.

Such a waste. :drunk:
Oh Blargh, Blarg! Why gest thou Blargh?
Deny thy beer and refuse thy whiskey;
For, if thou wilt not, thy liver doest expire,
And thy will no longer be cognizant

'Tis but Van Buren that is thy enemy;
Thou areth a hater, though a Fallout fan
What's Fallout? it is not diablo, nor NWN,
nor Baldur's Gate, nor KotoR, nor any other game
That sucks a lot. O, be some other game!
What's in a game? That which we call Fallout
By any other hands would smell not sweet;
So Blargh would, were he not Blargh call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
With some alcohol. Blargh, doff thy name,
And for that game which is no part of thee,
Take all beer.

(with apologies to Billy Shakespeare)
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

'What honour ?', one might ask, given the means deemed necessary to defend it, eh Teatime ? Is it really worth the prostitution of dignity ? 'What dignity ?', some might ask, is there any left after these six thoroughly futile pages, and countless other petty spats, past and promised, across both DAC and NMA ? I do not know. I do know that dignity is finite, however. Yes.

Butchering language will not cause The Penguins to grant you amnesty, Kharn. You will suffer like all the others, with all the others. As you are doomed, without hope, why not spend your dwindling time with something constructive, so unlike all this tripe ?

Rhetorical, of course. It would be most foolish, detached from all reason to the point of optimism, to believe anything will change for the better.

I shall return to laughing bitterly . . . now. :drunk:
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

It's not often that I decide to write something here, but I thought maybe someone would be interested in the perspective of a more "casual" post-apoc\cyberpunk\fallout fan;
basically, this discussion is not constructive. I understand Teatime's feelings very well - VB is dead, and NMA's occasional necromantic tendencies towards it does'nt do much good. But on the other hand, since there is'nt a lot of things to write about, any tidbit concerning the genre is perfectly justified.
Also; Teatime isn't going to win any nobel prizes because of this site. He's in control, and he can write whatever he wants - this isn't a democracy.

P.S I'm slightly tipsy right now, so go easy on me (flame-wise), okay?
Jinxed
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Jinxed »

basically, this discussion is not constructive. I understand Teatime's feelings very well - VB is dead, and NMA's occasional necromantic tendencies towards it does'nt do much good. But on the other hand, since there is'nt a lot of things to write about, any tidbit concerning the genre is perfectly justified.
Also; Teatime isn't going to win any nobel prizes because of this site. He's in control, and he can write whatever he wants - this isn't a democracy.
You're not being constructive either. We don't need a run down of events.

I hope something worthwhile happens to cover before they run out of VB content or NMA will have to switch to plan B. A weekly live webcam show of odin and his pet monkey.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I think we should change kharns avatar and title like NMA does. :giggle:

I want Rosh to butt wrestle all the other nma staff on webcam.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

You're not being constructive either. We don't need a run down of events.
As opposed to you? Your reply was just pedantic.
Whatever.. I've said what I wanted to say, and that's the end of that.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I dont know what pedantic means but you're swell guy. His post was more valuable in that it pedanticaly pwned your own post.
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

As opposed to you? Your reply was just pedantic.
Whatever.. I've said what I wanted to say, and that's the end of that.
Good.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

I rest my case
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Kharn likes it froggy style, there, I said it.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Our Host!