ZOMBIES ZOMBIES ZOMBIES!

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Radman2307
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Radman2307 »

ApTyp wrote:It doesn't look any different from Resident Evil, I'm sorry.
I feel the same, watched the trailor again and well...

I just hope Romero hasnt fallen to the 'hollywood' way of zombie films.
'They say people dont believe in heroes anymore... Well im going to give them back their hero.'

Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Smiley wrote:not another zombie movie...
You act as if theres been about 30 zombie movies in the past year.
Fucking feels like it too..!

I'm amazed at the fact, that when someone gets a revive-idea, everyone else has to do it as well!...if you want to make a movie, make it fucking unique...
Testicular Pugilist
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

It may "feel like it" to you, but there were only 2 major zombie films last year to my knowledge. That hardly counts as "cliche."
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

A lot of zombie movies went directly to video stores without going in the theaters though.
Mr. Mouflon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mr. Mouflon »

This is romero we're talking about here, remember... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that that godawful trailer was the result of cunning marketing types trying to snag a wider demographic.
'Man is only man at the surface. Remove the skin, dissect, and immediately you come to machinery.'
-Paul Valery
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

Mr. Mouflon wrote:

"This is romero we're talking about here, remember... I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that that godawful trailer was the result of cunning marketing types trying to snag a wider demographic."

I agree George Romero is the king of the genre, and I have faith in his ability to put out a good zombie yarn. There have been a number of truly dismal zombie films released in the last few years. Of those the Resident Evil series, and UNDEAD come to mind as the most barren of the bunch. 28DaysLater** Shaun OF The Dead and especially Dawn Of The Dead 2004 stand far above the rest even if they all do borrow a lot from Mr. Romero. Well we have seen the six recent spin offs but what we haven't seen is a new Romero zombie film in about 20 years, does he still have the magic?

What is Land of The Dead? Basically if you read the scripts for LOTD and the original script for Day of the Dead you will see that LOTD is a heavily reworked version of the original Day OF The Dead script. Apparently Romero always wanted to have the series go out with a big bang and Day OF The Dead was to be that film. Unfortunately the producers cut the funding by 2/3rds when Romero refused to make an R rated film, he prefers the NC-17 rating. It is interesting to note that Romero has accepted the fact that a reasonably expensive film like Land OF The Dead must be released as an R rated product so that it gets a wide distribution.

Caution Spoilers Ahead.

There are three themes that will dominate this iteration of the dead series, one is that the zombies are evolving into a more capable life form, another is that the people of Fiddlers Green are ignoring the problem and becoming complacent behind the safety of their walls, electric fences, and hired guns, and lastly the growing division between social and economic classes. Romero says that the sub texts of this film are in reference to the way America tends to ignore its serious problems until they metastasize and come back to bite us in the ass.

In this film Romero will expand his evolved zombie concept. If you think the pistol packing Bub of Day Of The Dead was too smart for a zombie watch out Big Daddy will make Bub look like a dunce. In this film the king pin zombie Big Daddy will plan and execute an organized invasion of human held territory. The question for a lot of fans is weather or not Romero can present his evolved zombie concept in a way that isn't unintentionally funny or just plain dumb. This may end up being either a fresh perspective on the apocalyptic zombie plague that Romero kicked off in 1968 with NOTLD or dismal and undeserving end to the series. I think that George will hit a home run with this film even though I am not all that comfortable with gun toting zombies.

The trailer is simply Ok, but its lack of fire might be because it was a quickie that was thrown together when the original October 21 2005 release date was moved forward to June 21 by Universal Pictures. I am looking forward to seeing this film in the theater, but the US release will be R rated so I’ll have to wait until the NC-17 version comes out on DVD to really see it that way it was meant to be .

** ok they're infected not zombies but they sure act like zombies)
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Wow, xbow is back.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Hurray ! :drunk:
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

xbow wrote: The question for a lot of fans is weather or not Romero can present his evolved zombie concept in a way that isn't unintentionally funny or just plain dumb.
I found that the previous movies all had many parts that were either unintentionally or intentially funny. I rather enjoy the humor in the movies. In fact, Dawn of the Dead was in part a social satire and was created because Romero wanted to kill yuppies.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

"I found that the previous movies all had many parts that were either unintentionally or intentially funny. I rather enjoy the humor in the movies. In fact, Dawn of the Dead was in part a social satire and was created because Romero wanted to kill yuppies."

Agreed, Romero stated in the commentary for the DIVMAX edition of "Dawn OF The Dead" that it is the social commentary that makes the whole thing worthwhile for him. He further stated that the stunned looking zombies wandering around in the mall were analogs of the throngs of people that seem to drift aimlessly around our consumer temples. In the Argento cut of Dawn OF The Dead all the humor and light mall music is removed and to me the film suffers from the amputations. I like his satire and social commentary but I think the evolved zombie concept is another animal.

It is pretty clear from the heated debates over the evolved zombie concept at IMDb that thinking, gun wielding, and socially conscious zombies are a bit too much for many of the fans even some of the hard corps ’ Romeroites‘. Some people especially the younger crowd that discovered the ‘zombie apocalypse’ with films like Resident Evil, 28DL, and Dawn2004 seem to really hate the idea of zombies being anything more than mindless killer robots. This is true even though this same group accepts absurd track star zombies like the ones Zack Snyder and Danny Boyle featured in their films.

I think that Romero will pull it off and present the evolved zombie concept in a way that is entertaining. and interesting. One thing that has not changed in his social commentary is the idea that people are their own worst enemies who constantly make critical errors and simply can’t work together even in a crisis.

Its interesting to note that LOTD has a far better cast and a bigger budget than all of his previous Dead films combined. Those factors have got to be a big plus for this film.
Our Host!