Omega Syndrome reaches v2.02

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Omega Syndrome reaches v2.02

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[Game -> Update]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... Australian Game Developers">Company: Australian Game Developers</a> | More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... ?title=The Omega Syndrome">Game: The Omega Syndrome</a>

The cyberpunk <em>Fallout</em> clone, <a href="http://www.ausgamedev.com/news.html">Omega Syndrome</a>, has been updated to version 2.02. Here are the changes:

<blockquote><em><strong>2ND APRIL 2005

THE OMEGA SYNDROME UPDATED TO VER 2.02!</strong>

<strong>Changes To Quests!</strong>

The demo has been altered. One area was clipped because it didn't have
enough of a reason to be there and it hindered the game's flow. Another
area had another quest and some little extras added to it.

<strong>New Ability For Reptoids!</strong>

The Reptoids have been given a new ability that makes them harder to kill. You'll have to play it to see what I mean.

<strong>Note:</strong>

If you already own OS and want to play VER 2.02, you have to download the latest versions of the Demo and Add On 1.</em>

</blockquote>
The game's fun. You can download the demo (which can be unlocked to the full version) <a href="http://www.ausgamedev.com/omegasyndrome ... e">here</a>.

<blockquote>
</blockquote>
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

It's not cyberpunk, MORON!
------------------
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

What is it then? It's kind of like a camp X-files set in the 1950s. I guess maybe not cyberpunk, but... well, it's not high fantasy.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

At least they could have put stats so they dont actually spell out SPECIAL. :chew:
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

It's sort of retro science fiction, like Invaders.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
Davaris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Davaris »

The SPECIAL system was used as a place holder, as there was so much work to do and only one person to do the work. At the moment I'm putting the SIPHA (CYPHER) system into the engine. So you can expect to see it (or part of it) in the next update.

Along with the changes to the primary stats, there will also be changes to the damage types. For instance a bullet proof vest will be good against fast moving projectiles, but it won't be much chop against "slower" weapons like knives, arrows and baseball bats.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Sounds good. It'd be a good element to the combat and make the weapon diversity more important.

Davaris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Davaris »

I'm planning one last change to armour. I don't think the type of armour a character is wearing should make them any harder to hit. The way I see it a guy in full plate is just as hard to hit as a guy in chainmail. The only difference between the two is how well each dodges or parrys blows.

So I'm planning to make armour class dependent on a character's skill rather than the armour they're wearing. That way you'll have to spend skill points on a dodge skill or something similar each time you level up. I'm still thinking how to do this one so nothing is set in stone.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Wouldn't a full plate be even bulkier than a chainmail?
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

I suppose you could learn to get used to it and use the armor to your advantage.

Davaris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Davaris »

>Wouldn't a full plate be even bulkier than a chainmail?

You're right. You'd think a guy in full plate would be easier to hit because he's weighed down. Of course he'd be harder to hurt because he's got better damage resistances.

Perhaps I should put in weight related penalties for certain armour types that affect your ability to dodge attacks.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

If you did, they should be very minor for most armor types. A kevlar vest isn't going to slow you down much.

Davaris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Davaris »

Yeah Kevlar is light. I have a metal breast plate in the game that weighs a ton, so that will have the greatest penalty.
Matt_Helm
Glutton Creeper designer

Post by Matt_Helm »

I just started playing around with the demo. it looks to be a fun game. Two comments right off the bat: you need a run mode for the character and the map scrolling when the cursor is at the edge of the map needs to be a bit faster.

I noticed that there were no tech skills like electronics or repair.

Does the purchase of the game entitle the buyer to all the future upgrades and changes?
-Do we have anything resembling a plan?
Davaris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Davaris »

>I just started playing around with the demo. it looks to be a fun game.

Glad you're enjoying it. :)

> You need a run mode for the character and the map scrolling when the cursor is at the edge of the map needs to be a bit faster.

I'll put a scroll speed slider in the Preferences Screen on the next update.

As for run mode this depends on getting a run animation for Max and his group and this could take a while as there's some new creatures in the pipeline. If you want I can put in a run mode and can use the walk animation (for now) but move a lot faster.

>I noticed that there were no tech skills like electronics or repair.

Unfortunately these will have to wait as I'd have to create new quests and possibly new areas for them. At the moment I'm working on Perks and Traits. Unfortunately I'm the only one doing the programming, scripting and map making so things are taking a while.

>Does the purchase of the game entitle the buyer to all the future upgrades and changes?

Absolutely. You can come back as many times as you want.

There's another update going up now and it has some bug fixes and refinements from the last update. Give it 6 hrs from my post before you get it. I'm stuck using a 56k modem and there are fast days and slow days. There'll be an announcement in the Update News section at

www.ausgamedev.com

when it's ready for download.
Matt_Helm
Glutton Creeper designer

Post by Matt_Helm »

Davaris wrote: > You need a run mode for the character and the map scrolling when the cursor is at the edge of the map needs to be a bit faster.

I'll put a scroll speed slider in the Preferences Screen on the next update.
This is great, upgrades on demand! Seriously, though, I think this improvement will make movement feel less cumbersome.
As for run mode this depends on getting a run animation for Max and his group and this could take a while as there's some new creatures in the pipeline. If you want I can put in a run mode and can use the walk animation (for now) but move a lot faster.
I don't think the character needs to move a lot faster, just a bit faster than the current speed of "amble".
-Do we have anything resembling a plan?
Davaris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Davaris »

There you go Matt. Those improvements you wanted are online.
Our Host!