plasma rifle + super mutant?

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Weasel
SDF!
SDF!

plasma rifle + super mutant?

Post by Weasel »

I have a super mutant with a plasma rifle, but when I put it in his hands, it says 'cannot use.' Am I doing something wrong?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

No, you're not doing anything wrong.

This is one of the short-comings of FoT, namely that the Laser and Plasma Rifles use the standard rifle weapon sprite rather than the Heavy Weapon sprite that they did in FO and FO2. Therefore Super Mutants cannot use them since they cannot use any weapon that uses the Rifle, Pistol or SMG sprite.

The only Energy Weapon that a SM can use is the Sunbeam Laser Gatling Gun. Therefore the skill is rather limited for them.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Re: plasma rifle + super mutant?

Post by Viktor »

Weasel wrote:I have a super mutant with a plasma rifle, but when I put it in his hands, it says 'cannot use.' Am I doing something wrong?
Yes. SM's hands are too big to use small guns and energy weapons - they can only use heavy weapons, throwing weapons and melee weapons.
Weasel
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Weasel »

That sucks. Thanks for the help.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

No problem.

You know, this issue just might have to be addressed in a certain mod...

OTB
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

OnTheBounce wrote:No problem.

You know, this issue just might have to be addressed in a certain mod...

OTB
* puts on best Super Hero's Sidekick voice*

"Holy Plot Devices, MapMan! He's giving IOOI hints again!!!"

Seriously, I imagine that there's nothing stopping a mechanically inclined SM from sawing the trigger guards off a few SMGs/Rifles/Pistols and tack welding a nail or something to the triggers so his buddies could use them......
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Mmmm...Viktor, you look very good in tights... :mrgreen:
Viktor wrote: Seriously, I imagine that there's nothing stopping a mechanically inclined SM from sawing the trigger guards off a few SMGs/Rifles/Pistols and tack welding a nail or something to the triggers so his buddies could use them......
The thing that stops SMs from using the Laser and Plasma Rifles is that they use the Rifle weapon type and the SM sprites don't contain those. In FO/FO2 those weapons used the Heavy weapon types and I was thinking perhaps there should be a "Heavy Laser Rifle" and a plasma counterpart.

Unfortunately there is no way to not shaft somebody since Ghouls can't use the Heavy weapon types, at least not when they're not in EA or PA. I'm definitely going to check into this as I'm getting ready to thoroughly revamp the IOOI weapons catalogue. (We're talkin' major revision here, baby!)

I may need an artist's help for the hvy. e-weapons, though.

OTB
Our Host!