Wasteland Merc expansion released

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Wasteland Merc expansion released

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[Mod -> Update]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... le=Fallout 2: Wasteland Merc">Mod: Fallout 2: Wasteland Merc</a> | More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... le=Fallout 2: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game">Game: Fallout 2: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game</a>

<strong>Haris</strong> sent word that he and <strong>Miran</strong> have released an expansion/patch for their <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/dload ... >Wasteland Merc</a> mod for <em>Fallout 2</em>. It's called <em>Black Market</em>, and you can <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/dload ... id=13">get it from our downloads page</a>.

<blockquote><em>Features: One new location called Black market, it was added to balance out
games economy. We realized that later on in the mod players would get big
amounts of bottlecaps and not have anything to waste them on, it would become
totally useless to do missions. Now you can buy crafting resources and drug that
will advance your char. Also there is a shopkeeper in this location that will be
able to buy excess items that you have no use of. We also fixed couple of bugs.
One of them is nerfing encounter table a bit and making outdoorsman skill useful
when traveling again so that it isn't so hard to travel if you chose to raise
outdoorsman. There will still be allot of encounters but not like it was. We
also made it impossible to steal or loot shopkeepers. </em>

</blockquote>
From what I've been told, the mod is pretty decent, and considering
that there's not much going on in terms of <em>Fallout 2</em> editing, it's worth
taking a look.

Note that you have to have the original <em>Wasteland Merc</em> mod for this add-on to install.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Yeah, a FO mod that is actually released is pretty rare. I'm hoping he'll revise the text too.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

It sounds fun-ish. Just a missions + character leveling time drain but all Fallout-y.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Just a missions + character leveling time
Yea some of missions dont get unlocked before your level 35.

Dialogs thing and proof reading. Well its not up to me. I said who ever feels like proof reading them can do it and make it as his own patch for the mod. Instalation would be extremly eazy. You download a zip file with folder called "text" and you put it in fallout2/data foulder and let it override existing files. And than you got your self new dialogs. So who ever feels like making dialogs with better english or translating it to some other lang just do it. But tell me before you start doing that in pm here or something so that it wont be 5 people making the same thing.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

That's fair enough, I suppose. At least you've made the offical announcement.

LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

Can this mod work with the hi-res mod?

I was thinking installing the hi-res mod and then this might work but I DUNO Fallout 2 is all batty
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

No idea, if that works.

Anyway its really eazy to edit dialogs in this mod. You dont need any kind of scripting knowledge and its all open for editing.

And it looks like this:
#MajTWM--talk script

#look at
{100}{}{You see the mayor.} //loking at
{101}{}{He is the mayor of Flagstaff.} //observe closer

#greeting
{102}{}{Howdy, there amigo. I am the mayor of Flagstaff. What brings you to my humble abode?} //greeting and introduction

#Questions
{103}{}{Why is this town called Flagstaff, when it´s clearly miles away from the real Flagstaff?} //question 1
{104}{}{Do you have any job for me?} //question 2
{105}{}{Where can i go to amuse my self around here?} //question 3
{106}{}{Sorry, wrong house.} //bye
{107}{}{I don´t have entire day, so ask away.} //what else you wanna know
{108}{}{Well i guess i don´t need to know anything else. Bye.} //bye don´t need to know anything else

#Answers
{109}{}{Well, my ancestors came from that town, so i thought it would be apropriate to honour them by naming the town Flagstaff.} //answer q1
{110}{}{Actually i wanted to ask something else.} //Tell me something else
{111}{}{Thanks for the chat mr Mayor.} //bye tnx for answer
{112}{}{Not really, if my brahmins were still alive than maybe. But ask around, there are plenty job oportunities here.} //answer q2
{113}{}{Well there is the bar near by. And there is....hm...there is...Well lets face it, this is a pretty boring town. What where you expecting, fireworks each night and dancing dogs on the street.} //answer q3
Only problem is that its way to much text so its pain in the ass work to do.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Yeah, you'd have to be dedicated to do a decent job of proofreading it, especially in the odd format.

Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Its not that odd.

{103}{}{Why is this town called Flagstaff, when it´s clearly miles away from the real Flagstaff?} //question 1

{103}{}{Text} //question 1 <-this part doesnt have to be edited its just pointer that doesent show in game. We did it that way to make it eazyer to build up dialogs. So you pretty much just proofread the text inside those { }.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Yeah, but I was also meaning to follow the story and context, not just the spelling. It's as easy as a single flowing story.

Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Oh yea there is one thing i have to say to those that play the mod. You might notice there is no music sound. Well if you want the music just put in fallout 2 cd and find foulder on it called data/sound/music and copy all files from the cd to your fallout2/data/sound/music folder on you hard drive.

Oh and if you are playing with german version of fallout 2 than rename data/text/english folder to data/text/german. Or dialogs wont work.
Our Host!