Let's pound the VB corpse some more

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Let's pound the VB corpse some more

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[Game -> Images]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... itle=Black Isle Studios">Company: Black Isle Studios</a> | More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... le=Fallout 3 (Van Buren)">Game: Fallout 3 (Van Buren)</a>

Who'd have thought it? Some more concept art from the <strong>completely and utterly dead</strong> project <a href="http://wiki.duckandcover.cx/index.php?t ... Buren">Van Buren</a> have been leaked to <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">NMA</a>. You can view the four pictures <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewto ... =12537">on NMA</a> or in DAC's gallery <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/gallery/thum ... 6">here</a>. They reveal the startling revelation that <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/gallery/disp ... 0">Fallout takes some inspiration from Mad Max</a>, which I don't know about you, but I'm floored by.

<h3>
This game is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to
meet its maker. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace. Its
metabolic processes are now history! It's off the twig! It's kicked the
bucket, it's shuffled off its mortal coil,
run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile! This -
is - an - ex - game.</h3>
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

I like it how they used Mad Max as a reference for the style of clothing.

http://www.duckandcover.cx/gallery/disp ... p?pos=-680
<i>"More motorcycle jacket. Less Pirate"</i>

Heh.
MrSmileyFaceDude
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by MrSmileyFaceDude »

It's not dead, it's pining for the fjords!
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Raymondo wrote:<i>"More motorcycle jacket. Less Pirate"</i>
Eeh... thats a typo... should be "More Pirate, less motorcycle jacket."
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Raymondo wrote:I like it how they used Mad Max as a reference for the style of clothing.

http://www.duckandcover.cx/gallery/disp ... p?pos=-680
<i>"More motorcycle jacket. Less Pirate"</i>

Heh.
Looks goth.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Well done Teatime, you called this one perfectly. It's about time they stopped crying over a game that died ages ago. Stop "leaking" the art out in a dribble and give us the fucking lot. It's utterly pathetic.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Its how NMA will stay alive till the real FO3 stuff starts hitting the web.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

It's all cuz you're simply sexual facists and discriminate necrophiles :(

I, for one, would like to lay my hands on a Van Buren's script.
Serious Business.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

We already pretty much know most about the storyline anyway (I posted most of the leaks in the Vault).
Kotario
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Kotario »

Hmm...? You honestly believe that No Mutants Allowed has a stash of all the concept artwork for Van Buren and is releasing it slowly? It's not like the diamond trade, sorry to break it to you.

Anyway, it's interesting to see the concept artwork for Van Buren, even if it's not terribly productive. You could consider it akin to fanart, in this particular situation.
"It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow." - Robert Goddard
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Kotario wrote:Hmm...? You honestly believe that No Mutants Allowed has a stash of all the concept artwork for Van Buren and is releasing it slowly? It's not like the diamond trade, sorry to break it to you.

Anyway, it's interesting to see the concept artwork for Van Buren, even if it's not terribly productive. You could consider it akin to fanart, in this particular situation.
No, idiot. You missed the point. It's already been explained before by Teatime and others. Someone is parcelling this out in this pathetic dribble and holding the rest back. It isn't hot off the press or being drawn just before each news post. It has been sitting somewhere and is being deliberately held back. That you cannot understand why this whole thing stinks is quite sad and speaks volumes about you.

If you are going to post irrelevant art as news, then why not post every single piece of art, art on the net as front page news? All in twos and threes, because it is interesting to you.

The only way this would be worth seeing as news if they updated a whole gallery's worth. Even then it'd be very minor news. The game is dead, dry your eyes and move on.

ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

I think the real point here is that VB is dead, and people (NMA staff including) need to stop pretending that any material that is VB-related is exciting. The game will never come out. What's the point in looking at concept art?
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Kotario wrote:Hmm...? You honestly believe that No Mutants Allowed has a stash of all the concept artwork for Van Buren and is releasing it slowly? It's not like the diamond trade, sorry to break it to you.
Actually, it is a fact, not a theory. I'll leave it to responsible parties to admit that if they care to.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

like brios? lol
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Well, when I complained about how this is being handed out Silencer on the NMA forum said (bold effect added by me):

"WI disagree, Fez. Apart for your disdain of VB news posts, I actually find them more compelling than new S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Auto Assault/ Restricted Area screenies/Q&A/whatchacallit. And that's not only because I have a lot more translating with those to do than with images.

VB art is important as any fan art, because it serves our aesthetic needs (hey, what can I say, I'm a PA junkie), but also it may inspire some of our modmakers or semi-professional developers.

But there's another thing. The thing with Van Buren art is its historic value. It's like with those clay pots from empires that have fallen long ago - but that doesn't stop us from contemplating them. You can of course make a fan-made pot, but it's just not the same Laughing

The time when VB was being developed was an important and auspicious one in the history of Fallout community, and I think you'll agree that it's at least as important to conserve and present as much of what's left of it, as it is to propagate news items on hyped games that are going to be forgotten the sooner the better.

Why is it not given to the public at once, is I think that if you just posted a crapload of VB art, it'd just become a heap of random stuff nobody'd really have the time or patience to dig through. If you release an image now and then, however, I think more people will notice and actually contemplate.

We try to bring you information, now you may find some of it uninteresting, but then - just move along, OK?".

So that's the intention over the release schedule.

Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Ugh. Oh well, NMA do their thing, it's their site. Luckily there are other FO sites around, eh? It's making a lot of people sick of VB, but I guess there are others who like to salivate over them. I just can't bring myself to get excited or interested and find this slow leaking slightly pathetic, and certainly not interesting, that's just my personal view.
Last edited by Mr. Teatime on Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

To me, VB seems about as relevant as FOBOS to Fallout now. As you said, the trickle has made me more sick of it than anything else. The last thing I want to do now is pause for thoughtful contemplation of VB.

S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

FO3 would have been as much a pile of shit as FOBOS.
Do0Fu5
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Do0Fu5 »

you lot may never have heard of me before, but rest assured i am a bigger fallout fan than a large percentage of you, fallout misc knowledge, fallout pnp, tattoos and all.

and i think you lot should shut the fuck up about NMA choosing to cover information about van buren. you are both fallout fan sites. (not to mention the fact that nma is older, and no doubnt more successfull than this site) and you complain at them for covering knowledge?

DAC was my main fallout info resource , but frankly the more i see of the comments you make, especially this one, im fucking disgusted.

i was proud to call myself one of those 'fallout fans', so hard to please, pickiest bastards on the internet. but when you teamtime turn on NMA, you fucking amatuer cunt, and all you little ring lickers follow suit, i begin to wonder if you are even fallout fans at all, or just annoying little stubborn twats who just happen to like the same game
Jennifer
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Jennifer »

"More motorcycle jacket. Less Pirate"

that could be one of the random captions on the front page.
Did i say that out loud?
Our Host!