Bethesda interview: consoles!

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Bethesda interview: consoles!

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[Game -> Interview]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... tle=Ashley Cheung">Person: Ashley Cheung</a> | More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... e=Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a> | More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... le=Fallout 3 (Bethesda)">Game: Fallout 3 (Bethesda)</a>

A new interview with <a href="http://www.bethsoft.com">Bethesda</a> guy <strong>Ashley Cheung</strong> is <a href="http://www.warcry.com/scripts/columns/v ... d=6611">up at Warcry</a>. It's all about <a href="http://www.elderscrolls.com">ES: Oblivion</a>, but there is some general talk about consoles that I think will apply to <em>Fallout 3</em>.

<blockquote><em>However, he also made it clear that the development platform isn't a
primary concern, saying, "Quite frankly, there are larger barriers to
what we can do than just what the development platform is - time and
resources being the biggest. We proved with Morrowind that a deep,
complex RPG can work on a console. Nobody else would even think to try
it - but we did it. And it did very well for us.<strong> At the end of the day,
we make the game we want to make and then put it out on as many
platforms as possible."</strong>

Marching to the beat of their own drummer has brought no small degree
of success and accolades to Bethesda, and according to Cheng, we can
expect much more of that in the future. "You're going to hear a lot
more about what we've got planned here at Bethesda in the next few
years," he told us. "We are working on groundbreaking stuff internally,
and Oblivion is just the beginning. We are grateful to all the people
out there who buy and play our games, and we hope you stay with us. It
will be worth it - I promise."</em>

</blockquote>
I think there can be little doubt that <em>Fallout 3</em> will be made
for consoles as well as the PC. To what extent that affects the game's
quality is yet to be seen, though I do feel that Morrowind was console
friendly (viewpoint, combat) in a way that<em> Fallout 1</em> and <em>2</em>
are not. On the other hand, it's clearly not a question of technology,
as in those terms, all the Fallout games could work fine on a console. Then you have examples of the top-down viewpoint in <em>BG: Dark Alliance</em>, and turn-based combat in the <em>Final Fantasy</em>
games, so I think there's a (slim) chance we'll get our viewpoint and
combat (and no dual systems, please!) despite the console release.

Thanks for the news tip, <strong>MSFD</strong>.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Let's hope they don't ruin it to suit the consoles, like they did with DX and Thief, and others.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
Europa13
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

poop on a stick

Post by Europa13 »

If it's not on PC, then I won't play it... I don't own a console, nor will I ever as far as I'm concerned.
Righteous is the man who never turns a blind eye towards the truth.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

IT WILL be on PC but it will also be on one or more of the next gen machines(probably xbox2). Morrowind was supposedly their sugar nipple, now they are rich and famous
Europa13
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Europa13 »

Yeah, I know it'll be on PC, I'm just sayin that I won't play it on any console... And I really don't care much for games that shift over either... Cept for KOTOR 1 & 2... That's the only other RPG I've actually played aside from Fallout... I'm pretty picky. hehe. But, I've seen Morrowind... I dunno... I hope Fallout isnt that bland... Sure, the dynamics were ok... But I dunno. I kinda like what Trokia was cooking up... Top-down / then switch to FPS mode... I really liked that.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

...I saw FOBOS today in my local EB games... I considered spitting on it.. but the shop clerk was keeping an eye on me.
Testicular Pugilist
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Pussy! D:
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I didn't put it in the news post, but I am actually undecided on how important the viewpoint is. The turn based combat is essential for a good FO game, but the viewpoint I don't know. I sent a question to Tim Cain a month ago about whether the FO viewpoint was just because that was the technology they had, or whether it was a conscious choice over FP and whether they'd make the same decision today. He didn't reply, I guess understandable now knowing the problems Troika were having.
Anyway, I do like the FO viewpoint, but as I said, am undecided on how essential it is. Though I'd say it probably is pretty important to maintaining the FO feel.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Ugh, would you play a TB game with a FP view?
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

Wouldn't having a game that was turn-based yet in a first person perspective be pretty cumbersome? I know playing Wizardy 8 that I felt that the combat felt a bit off, while Fallout combat with its overhead view fitted like a leather glove.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

TB and FP would be hideous.

My concern is if (at all) there'll be 3rd person with the zoom/rotate a la Freedom Force or an over the shoulder close up view like Thief 3 (which I think seriously limits strategizing).
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Claw
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Claw »

You could always change the POV in the game.
Realms of Arkania had FP in towns and dungeons, iso in combat and a worldmap.
Europa13
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

hmmm

Post by Europa13 »

Well... First off, what concerns me the most is whats going on behind the eye-candy. The special system is part of what made Fallout... Then there was the "feel" of the game and the plot. We all know that not everyone is going to be pleased 100% of the time... So, I'll be happy with a game that is well built, uses the special system and has an amazeing plot. The only other RPG I've played since Fallout 1, 2 and FOT (which was only partially RPG) has been KOTOR 1 & 2... So as far as the gameing perspective goes and wether or not it is TB, RT w/a Pause button... I dunno... I think that would concern me less. I mean in a perfect world, we'd get what we want and everyone would be pleased, but that's not going to happen.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

After thinking about it, I think FO needs to retain the classic viewpoint. KOTOR's viewpoint doesn't do much for me, and whilst Vampire's works for the game it is, it wouldn't work for FO IMO.
Some games have a default viewpoint and the ability to go into FP mode to look around (metal gear solid games do this), maybe that would work. I do know Bethesda want to show they can do a game completely different from the ES style of things (that's the strong impression I've got), and with FO they have that chance.
Europa13
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Europa13 »

Well, like I said up top, I like what Trokia was doin with the toggle between Top-Down and FP... And come on, done properly, it would be awesome, cruisin through the FO universe in FP mode. But yes, in return, are you sacrifiseing gameply... If they could meld the two, perfectly, without screwing with the gameplay, then I wouldn't mind it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

In the end we should just give a shit about the plot and the characters, it's what make the game most immersive.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Plot and characters are important but I've been dieing for a decent turn-based isometric game for a long time and ToEE doesn't cut it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I heard Freedom Force does the job.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Smiley wrote:...I saw FOBOS today in my local EB games... I considered spitting on it.. but the shop clerk was keeping an eye on me.
I sadly bought Fobos so I could review it for this site but it was just so damn sub-par mediocre that I couldn't get past the first section, much less the other 5 chapters in the game.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Hey, mail it to me D:
Our Host!