MMORPGDot have retarded readers

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

MMORPGDot have retarded readers

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[Game -> Editorial]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... y">Company: Interplay</a> | More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... le=Fallout: Online">Game: Fallout: Online</a> | More info on <a href="http://wikipocalypse.duckandcover.cx/in ... itle=Herve Caen">Person: Herve Caen</a>

<a href="http://www.mmorpgdot.com">MMORPGDot</a>, sister site of <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a>, have put up their <a href="http://www.mmorpgdot.com/index.php?hsac ... 095">dream MMORPGs</a>, as voted for by the <strike>people</strike> morons who visit the page. The winner is <em>Fallout Online</em>, proving once and for all that abortion way past the third trimester should be legalised.

<blockquote><em>When Interplay announced the licensing of Fallout to Bethesda they also
revealed that they were keeping the right for a MMORPG based on this
post-apocalyptic universe. For someone not aware of the past actions of
this compagny this can sound good but for those who know how Interplay
failed to make a good use of Fallout (Van Buren's cancellation, F:BoS)
this is not a dream but a nightmare. Hopefully, with no money left in
the bank, no developers in the house we have some big chance to not see
it made by Interplay.</em>

</blockquote>
Make Fallout multiplayer and it's not Fallout, it's a dumb game written
by people who don't have a clue about the source material. The fact
that it's an idea <strong>Herve Caen</strong> wants to pursue should say all you need to know about its validity.

I could write a rant
about how Fallout dealt with loneliness, being an outsider in a hostile
teritory, and ultimate rejection from even your home vault, but I'm not
going to. Instead, work on getting those abortion laws changed.

Spotted @ <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a>
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

I can see your point about Fallout's crucial sense of being alone in a hostile world, but at the same time, it's a world inhabited by all kinds of interesting people and creatures. A Fallout MMORPG, if done correctly, could add an interesting dimension to the FO universe, where cooperation and cohabitation are as key to survival as strength and combat skills.

But of course, this is a world in which someone, somewhere thought FOBOS was a good idea. The people in power don't have a clue how to handle the Fallout license.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

The whole thing is stupid.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Subhuman needs a good tarring and feathering.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Just another compelling reason for 'The List', ApTyp . . . :drunk:
RGE
SDF!
SDF!

Post by RGE »

I didn't feel very lonely in Fallout, and I could see how an MMORPG in that world might seem attractive. But since every little settlement is going to have a bunch of guys running around in power armours while lugging heavy energy weapons, any kind of Fallout atmosphere is going to be turned into a small puddle of reeking goo. FOOL is as lousy an idea as SWG - some universes rely too much on atmosphere to afford it being ruined by the average MMORPG players. (Well, I don't know for sure how bad those MMORPG players are, but I assume that they're mostly powergamers who wouldn't settle for anything less than the best stuff in their relentless pursuit of wasteland horrors to kill and loot.)
Recommended reading:
Post-Nuke (a man and his dog in the nuclear winter)
Dire Destiny (most medieval fantasy ever)
Hot Bullet Press (great action webcomics)
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

If people want Fallout Online so much, why don't they play Wasteland MUD?
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Cause they want nifty graphics.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Then take it to WMUD people and leave Fallout alone. Not that I care, because it'd flop and bankrupt the idiots who decided to greenlight it.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

RGE wrote:But since every little settlement is going to have a bunch of guys running around in power armours while lugging heavy energy weapons, any kind of Fallout atmosphere is going to be turned into a small puddle of reeking goo.
Which is why there'd need to be some rules in place to restrict that kind of...whatever that's called. I don't know the MMORPG lingo. Certain areas could only be accessible to high-level players or whatever.
RGE wrote:Some universes rely too much on atmosphere to afford it being ruined by the average MMORPG players.
Agreed, and again, the chances of any developer pulling off a decent Fallout MMMMOOORRPPGGHITYR are slim at best.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

There is no way to do it right. That's the point. You'll never be able to capture the atmosphere of Fallout that were part of the game mechanics in an MMORPG because the mechanics would have to be totally different.

How baddass would Junktown's guards have to be to stop an MMORPG clan from wiping out the whole town? Would it make any sense for a small town in Fallout to have uber-badass guards? If you and your BESTEST BUDZ killed a whole town, what would happen then? Just standing buildings are all that remains or what? If you go the "What" route, where would all the new people come from to open the shops and other places that need NPC operation?

The whole point of town guards in Fallout was more for atmosphere than anything else. After all, you can wipe Junktown clean at level 4-5. It's a small town, it makes sense that the guards there aren't the toughest people in the wasteland.
------------------
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Abortions need to be extended to the 42nd trimester Teatime, not just the 3rd. Ofcourse if you just say to yourself "Hey, it'd be fun if I could play fallout with my friends" it sounds good...unless you have assholes for friends like me. Anyways, point is, the idea slowly desolves into shit when you realize that having the same experience in fallout as a MMORPG are impossible. The idea simply changes from Fallout into a MMORPG with fallout's name hooked onto it.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

I hate doing a "me too" post, but I agree with Saint and Walt on this. It cannot be done.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
Our Host!