Hey jerks

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Hey jerks

Post by Megatron »

Ok, here's the deal. We're cracking down on pointless, spammy posts, for a number of reasons, one of them being that they're really, really tedious to read. We're not saying you can't spam - you can, but only in The Wasteland. From now on, the DAC staff are going to take a much harsher view of off-topic, derailing replies that are outside of The Wasteland, and we're going to make a much larger distinction between that forum and the rest of the site.
The sort of thing that won't be tolerated in non-Wasteland posts includes, but is not limited to:

- Responding to someone's post with an insult, and nothing else.

- Posting something that has nothing to do with the thread it was posted in.

- Overly offensive posts calling people 'fags', 'swell guy' and the like. These sorts of posts aren't big or clever, and they stopped having shock value years ago. If you have to insult someone in that way, do it in The Wasteland where most people can ignore you.

- Making the majority of your posts pointless. For example: 'Yeah LOL'. Very occasionally it can be funny, but make sure most of the time when you post, you're actually saying something that contributes. We considered removing Quick Reply, as that makes it easy for people to make thoughtless, two-second posts. In the end it was decided to keep Quick Reply, but it can give you an idea of the type of attitude being talked about.

As a way of enforcing this new policy, we've removed the ASSHATS forum. If someone decides to spam up the site, we can now lock them in The Wasteland instead, for however long is necessary, where their posts belong. Hopefully, most people will be able to live with this, and if not, tough luck, as it is something we are going to actively enforce.

The Wasteland is there to accomodate people who want to spam, derail and offend. It is unmoderated for that reason, and will remain the "desolate shithole" it always has been. The rest of DAC is a different place though, where people should put more thought into their posts.
:chew:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Yeh. LOL.

Yar. :drunk:
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Yeaa LOL!

And YOU said it, Megatron? You are crossed from 'ME HEROES!!111OMG' list. :drunk:
Overly offensive posts calling people 'fags', 'swell guy' and the like.
Now that's so damn offensive I'd break mentally after it.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

I like to think my pointless poictures bring a ray of hope to the otherwise bleak wasteland.

This all seems fair. Is it ok to go off in a tangent in a thread coversation if it proves to be fruitful? Sometimes I've seen shitty threads become good ones through that. Derailing isn't always a bad thing.

On the subject of insult only posts, what if it is deserved? :D
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

:aiee:
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

When did Megatron become the <i>big boss-like-man</i>? D :
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

sorry dudes I guess I think stupid shitty one-liners aren't that funny :( I wouldn't mind but it makes the forum a bit shit if you know what I mean ;)

I totally promise this will be my last 'forum sucks, change it' thread. I am eagerly awaiting subhumans backseat moderating and the wit of mismatch. Perhaps even someone trying to mimic a Blargh post :drunk:
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

He's right, you know. He's goddamn right. You kids have gone and destroyed a beautiful thing. My heart is hurting. :(
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Oh noe, I post one-line posts on the interweb!!
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Raymondo wrote:When did Megatron become the <i>big boss-like-man</i>? D :
don't shoot the messenger, shoot yourself you shmuck. because he's right on the money despite however ironic and controversial it may seem to you.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Relax Max.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

They grow old so quickly :sadblinky:
Hello New Jersey
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

'Koff, you sodding cunt(s).
Resist ! Insult by haiku.
Trite and weary. Yay !

One liners, five liners, twelvety liners, controversy, messengers . . . they can all take a flying leap. Twat(s). :drunk:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I am glad a majority of you totally fucking missed the point again, cheers mates :chew: I don't give a shit how many lines your post is, so long as you don't write the utter bullshit. But most of you do anyway, so carry on you comedy geniuses. You have me rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off :lol:
Last edited by Megatron on Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Megatron's right (he's quoting one of my posts from a while back for those didn't know), but ultimately there's only so much management can do before banning people (which isn't a good solution). Basically, it comes down to users themselves choosing how they post, and I think it's certainly better than it was.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Gimp Mask wrote:
Raymondo wrote:When did Megatron become the <i>big boss-like-man</i>? D :
don't shoot the messenger, shoot yourself you shmuck. because he's right on the money despite however ironic and controversial it may seem to you.
What the fuck are you talking about? I just didn't like the way Megatron was telling us what to do but now that Teatime has cleared it up it was one of his (Teatime's) older posts it's ok.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: Hey jerks

Post by the guardian »

Tcch, you want seriousness. Fine.
Megatron wrote:Ok, here's the deal. We're cracking down on pointless, spammy posts, for a number of reasons, one of them being that they're really, really tedious to read.
I usually just pay very little attention to them. You grow a thick skin after a while.
We're not saying you can't spam - you can, but only in The Wasteland.
I thought we're basically doing that already?
From now on, the DAC staff are going to take a much harsher view of off-topic, derailing replies that are outside of The Wasteland,
Hey now! How come you coupled Spamming and getting off topic? They're not the same thing. True, offtopic can easily become spam, but seldomly does the conversation develops to a new topic being discussed. If you feel it's getting off topic, just cut it out and make it a new topic? And I don't even see the problem with going off the topic... some of our best discussions rose from going off topics.
and we're going to make a much larger distinction between that forum and the rest of the site.
If you pay close attention you'd notice we're practically founded on spamming and going off-topic. I wasn't even aware there's a "rest of the site".
The sort of thing that won't be tolerated in non-Wasteland posts includes, but is not limited to:

- Responding to someone's post with an insult, and nothing else.
There goes the majority of my posts.
- Posting something that has nothing to do with the thread it was posted in.
There goes the majority of our posts
- Overly offensive posts calling people 'fags', 'swell guy' and the like. These sorts of posts aren't big or clever, and they stopped having shock value years ago. If you have to insult someone in that way, do it in The Wasteland where most people can ignore you.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that we're using the word swell guy in a jocular sort of way. We ought to stop calling each other cigarettes, though, that's just plain confusing. Clearly we have to start refering to each other in a more politically correct way : GG is a deity-cursed afro-american , Voodoo's a foul-smelling caucasian homosexual , and I'm a begrimed avaricious young man of Judo-Christian origin.
- Making the majority of your posts pointless. For example: 'Yeah LOL'. Very occasionally it can be funny, but make sure most of the time when you post, you're actually saying something that contributes.
Nicolai won't be able to post anymore. I mean, sure, the spam's kinda bad(speaking of which, Sauron will have to stop posting as well. How many more moderators will I nail in one post?) sometimes, and topics are rather frequently constructed from one liners, but you take the good with the bad : Sometimes it's actually pretty hillarious.
We considered removing Quick Reply, as that makes it easy for people to make thoughtless, two-second posts. In the end it was decided to keep Quick Reply, but it can give you an idea of the type of attitude being talked about.
Tcch, you take away the Quick reply and you're just going to add anguish. The only times I reply normally is when I quote someone who typed a long message.
As a way of enforcing this new policy, we've removed the ASSHATS forum. If someone decides to spam up the site, we can now lock them in The Wasteland instead, for however long is necessary, where their posts belong. Hopefully, most people will be able to live with this, and if not, tough luck, as it is something we are going to actively enforce.
I have no Pyro.

The Wasteland is there to accomodate people who want to spam, derail and offend. It is unmoderated for that reason, and will remain the "desolate shithole" it always has been. The rest of DAC is a different place though, where people should put more thought into their posts.
They should put more thought into their posts as long as they're not being overly offensive, have anything off topic, are meaningful(and that's something you can only arbitrary define, and I'm almost positive your definition is not my definition, or someone else's. Calling something "meaningful" is subjective by definition), and don't include anything resembling an insult.

Well, that's TFUCKINGREFFIC! I'm sure it's going to be lovely, not being able to curse, insult, sway off topic, or write anything resembling a joke(because that's going off the topic, is spam, could constittute as an insult, and will probably be too short to be considered meaningful). Can I pay membership fee as well?
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

That's a blatant lie! My posts are always on topic and full of all kinds of interesting stuff.

Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

There's a Quick Reply?
Megatron wrote:I am eagerly awaiting subhumans backseat moderating
I'll moderate your backseat, fucking pansy Jewbag.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Nicolai wrote:That's a blatant lie! My posts are always on topic and full of all kinds of interesting stuff.

A bit more clever then the previous "Spam is fun" reply.
Our Host!