How do I make descriptions for my newly made items?

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Devil_Starr666
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

How do I make descriptions for my newly made items?

Post by Devil_Starr666 »

I made some new weapons but I cant figuer out how to make descriptions for them. Help :?:
Brahminator
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Brahminator »

There is a file called "item.txt" in the core\locale\game file. open that with any text editor and just follow how the descriptions are made in there. One last thing... the filename is case sensitive.

Brahminator
Devil_Starr666
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Devil_Starr666 »

what do you mean case senstitive??
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

On your keyboard, there is a button that says "SHIFT". By pressing it you can get what are called "capital" or "upper case" letters. These are different than "lower case" letters. Sometimes the computer program can tell the difference between upper and lower case so we say it is "case sensitive". Basically if you write in upper case when the other text it is looking for is in lower case, it won't work....
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Case-sensitive means that the game thinks "BOB" is completely different from "Bob"

Just be sure your item's Display Name and File Name are the EXACT same, and that niether one has a space in it.

Edit: Hiya, JJ86 :lol:
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Devil_Starr666 wrote:what do you mean case senstitive??
"Case Sensitive" means that the software will recognize a difference between "s" and "S", i.e. between upper and lower case.

Basically what you have to do to get the names and descriptions to register in the game is to open "items.txt" and add entries to it. In the "Display Name" field of the entity files you're working with you'll have to enter something. It doesn't really matter what you add in this field. You do not have to follow the conventions used by the programmers at Micro Forte.

Let's assume that you have a weapon or item that you've just created. Let's further assume that you entered "Devil_Starr666" in the "Display Name" of the entity. You then open "items.txt" and enter the following two lines:

name_Devil_Starr666 = {Bad-Ass SMG}
desc_Devil_Starr666 = {This SMG, blah, blah, blah...}

It is very important that you remember to use braces ( "{" and "}" ) where they are shown. If you screw up and accidentally enter a parenthesis you will not be able to use the editor or play the game until you fix your items.txt file.

I highly recommend that you use a mirror directory and play your mod using the run path command as described in the editor readMe file. You will save yourself a lot of headache this way. If you have questions regarding how to do that, let us know and we'll help you out.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Devil_Starr666
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Devil_Starr666 »

I highly recommend that you use a mirror directory and play your mod using the run path command as described in the editor readMe file. You will save yourself a lot of headache this way. If you have questions regarding how to do that, let us know and we'll help you out.
I looked in the read me and found nothing, if you could tell me where in the read me it is I will look again
Red

Post by Red »

I highly recommend that you use a mirror directory and play your mod using the run path command as described in the editor readMe file. You will save yourself a lot of headache this way.
The guy didn't even know what case-sensitive meant... let alone a "mirror", "path" and "run command"...

And I won't explain it personally, as I'm a really bad teacher and I just can't seem to figure out a way to explain all this, sorry.
Devil_Starr666
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Devil_Starr666 »

hmmm.... does any one know anything?
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Ok, Devil_Starr sorry - we got a little out of control 8O

Are you going to add this weapon to the game campaign or are you making a new map and adding it to that?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Devil_Starr666 wrote:I looked in the read me and found nothing, if you could tell me where in the read me it is I will look again
I forgot how barebones that portion of the readMe is. Okay, here's what you want to do:
  1. Use your browser to open up the 14 Degrees East/Fallout Tactics folder.
  2. Create another folder here. Name it whatever you want, for instance DS666 in your case. (I use "OTB" for mine.)
  3. In this directory you are going to want to create folders to store files and folders that the game is going to use rather than the stock versions. Copy the directory structure exactly. Do NOT get creative here. You are not going to need to copy each and every folder, only the ones that your mod'ed copy of the game is going to run. For instance, if you're going to have a mod'ed copy of the items.txt file, you're going to need the following folder: C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\locale\game . Here you will store your mod'ed copy of the items.txt and - assuming you go this far - a bunch of others that affect the game's displayed information.
That portion is as simply as that.

Now, to run your game using the "-path" command. There are several ways to do this:
  1. Go to the "Run" command on your "Start" menu. From here, browse to the BOS.exe file and select it. It will now appear on a window enclosed in quotes. Simply type in "-path whateverYouNamedYourCustomDirectory". (Don't enclose that portion in quotes.) For example, my custom directory's run command looks like this: "C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\BOS.exe" -path OTB
  2. You can set up a shortcut on your Desktop that does the same thing. Simply set up a shortcut to the BOS.exe file, then right click on it, select "Properties" and add the same extension as in the previous example.
  3. You can add a shortcut to your Quicklaunch bar. Just do the same thing as in the previous example, then drag and drop the shortcut into the Quicklaunch bar.
The last two examples have the advantage that they will not be lost every time you clear your History.

Now, remember to also do the same thing for FT Tools.exe and you will be in business. Using this method will allow you to play your mod when you want to and then play the core version of FoT w/o having to cut, paste or backup a single thing.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

OTB has anyone ever told you that you rule and that if they had any money they'd want your address so they could fly to your house and shower you with wine, money, and plump whores to suckle you, and suckle you and suckle you until you could be suckled no more?

If so... what a small small world we live in.
Devil_Starr666
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Devil_Starr666 »

The weapons i am making I want to be in my BOS campaign so if there is any additional info I need I would appercheate it.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Our Host!