mods and .chr files

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Brahminator
SDF!
SDF!

mods and .chr files

Post by Brahminator »

I have 2 questions...

1. I have downloaded a few choice mods, and I am having a hard time with them. I have downloaded some weapon and item mods, but I don't know how to actually put them into the game. I have tried to use the readme files but they are confusing, can you help with this, I need all of the information I can get.

2. I just recently updated my BOS game using the 1.27 patch and got the game editors with it. My only problem is trying to edit .chr characters with the entity editor. I can load up the .chr files, but every time I try to save it, there is an error message saying "not a multiplayer entity". How can I achieve being able to save multiplayer .chr files?

These are just a couple of things that are making me pull my hair out, and driving me insane. Thank you for reading, and hopefully replying.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I'm comfused you can actually load .chr files in the entity editor. I thought it was supposed to load only .ent files... 8O

Also most of the mods usually work for multiplayer and you usually just have to unzip to the proper place(try comparing their filenames with existing filenames- installing to the proper location, might erase older files, so be sure to backup first.)

You also probably want to check with NMA, they probably have many of the same files and readmes you can read on the site(probably text icons next to the dload links)
Brahminator
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Brahminator »

Thanks for the help with the mods, I managed to figure everything out, and it even helped me to build a few weapons for some of the multiplayer games that I hold. As far as the chr files, you are able to open them in the entity editor by clicking file, then open .chr. I was hoping to get a little help with that so I could create some speech files for multiplayer. Thanks a bunch.

Brahminator

p.s. If there is a way to make floating text for multiplayer characters, could you let me know, me and a few friends are dying to figure it out. Thanx.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Brahminator wrote:If there is a way to make floating text for multiplayer characters, could you let me know, me and a few friends are dying to figure it out. Thanx.
If you're looking to make random floating text for player controlled characters you are out of luck. The engine doesn't allow it. This also goes for you and your lackeys/underlings in SP games.

If you're looking to do this for "extras" in MP games simply follow the standard procedure for creating float texts.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I don't think the entity editor allows .chr files to be edited because of the "cheat" funtion - that is, it's possible to make characters with 30 PE and such, and that'd be a little unfair in MP :)

You can, however, make your own MP characters using the built-in "editor" in the game. Just go to Multiplayer -> Create Char/Edit char and you're good to go!
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Well, you can load them, but I'm quite sure you can't save them as CHR... But certainly as ENT... Never tried it though.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

What's the difference between the two file types besides the extension?
Red

Post by Red »

Well, actually, not much... There's a header added to it :).
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

So it could even be easily hacked with a hex editor.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I don't know, perhaps the game checks for some basic stats and if you, say hacked perception to 30 it restores it to maximum or something. This is just a theory, though. If you d otry it, informs us here. There might be some uses for it.
Our Host!