Fascinating look at rap pre-1900

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Ozrat
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Ozrat »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Yeah avenger, I'm sure people spoke like gangsters in 1700-1800.
Teatime's quote wrote:It roughly translates as:
As in translating it into a comparision of modern day "rap" from a different language with different phrases, hell, even different dialects from back then.

Slang and buzzwords change all the time, but the meanings behind them stay consistently the same.
ExtremeRyno wrote:I don't really represent the views that I've written here in this thread... I just like to type.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The Greeks invented rap. Guys called "rhapsods" (I kid you not) went around doing spoken song to recount tales like Homer's <i>The Odyssey</i> long before Jesus was a twinkle in His Daddy's eye.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Retlaw83 wrote:The Greeks invented rap. Guys called "rhapsods" (I kid you not) went around doing spoken song to recount tales like Homer's <i>The Odyssey</i> long before Jesus was a twinkle in His Daddy's eye.
Kewl dude. He must have had good street cred in Athens.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Ozrat wrote: Slang and buzzwords change all the time, but the meanings behind them stay consistently the same.
That's like saying english and russian is the same.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

S4ur0n27 wrote:
Ozrat wrote: Slang and buzzwords change all the time, but the meanings behind them stay consistently the same.
Tru dat.

Im pretty sure that if this story about a Mozart written rap pick, it would not mean anything like that which is mentioned as a translation. Beacuase those words are so styled to 90´s rap music, that it doesnt fit anywhere else.

Anything said or wirtten now a days is a translation from whatever was said in the past. Its quite true that meanings behind any word will always stay consistently the same, but the way its pronounced and the style of which it is used, is the thing that designates its value and genre. Its a bad argument to say that, because such a freely translated lyric is to far form the original to be used for anything factual.
Ozrat
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Ozrat »

S4ur0n27 wrote:
Um, what? I see your reading comprehension skills are not up to speed. If different words and phrases in different languages had absolutely no association or meaning shared between them, then it would literally be impossible to translate ANYTHING between two different languages.

What was your point again?

@ 46&2: That's what I was saying.
ExtremeRyno wrote:I don't really represent the views that I've written here in this thread... I just like to type.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Ozrat wrote:@ 46&2: That's what I was saying.
Yea, basicly we agree. But I dont think its a worthy argument in this case, because rap as we know is a concept of the 90´s and the lyrics Teatime posted was definetely written in the 90´s, and if its truely a, as freely as you put it, translation of mozarts work, hehe, its so far from what he wrote that its not really related to it anymore.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I thought the original thing I posted was just meant to be a joke, to compare rap's quality to that of Mozart's.

Though I do know that some varient of the word 'fuck' was on a cave wall somewhere, from caveman times. It was a picture, telling someone to 'go fornicate', in an insulting way, IIRC.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Mr. Teatime wrote:I thought the original thing I posted was just meant to be a joke, to compare rap's quality to that of Mozart's.
Yea, I just think everyone took it to seriolusly even though we all knew it was utter lies. LoL.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Ozrat took it seriously. And so did avenger, but that's not a big surprise.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Forty-six & Two wrote:Yea, I just think everyone took it to seriolusly even though we all knew it was utter lies. LoL.
I resent that inference, 'twas I who considered it bollocks to begin with. YOU FLUNKY. :drunk:
Our Host!