Half life 2

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I got all on my computer, so the loading times are neato.

And the g-man is gordon's father! D:
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

no he's not. lol and its not future gordon either.

game was far too short.. it took me weeks to clear half-life, half-life 2 took 12 hours over 3 days in total.
waste of €40 :(
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

*laughs*

You've been seduced by the NEW, IMPROVED, STREAMLINED gaming industry. I do not extend my sympathies, or empathy, because I have none. :drunk:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Steamlined, rather D:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Atleast we all have countless variations of Counterstrike and TFC mods to look forward to.

Edit: Do we have to pay to get those mods out of curiousity? I never really checked the "Steam buy shit and download shit" point to see.
Harriers for the cup.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yes, you do D:
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

I'll buy it once (if?) Sven coop comes out. It was the wacky mods that kept me endeared to the first half life.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Looks like you'll have to pay for it if it gains any popularity.
Harriers for the cup.
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

kakf

Post by Janus Matchell »

Got it registered it and I must say that HL2 blows DOOM 3 out of the fucking water. The story is better graphics are alot nicer but the goddamned load times are a severe pain in the ass. My favorite weapon at the moment is the Gravity gun and the ability to fling random shit at people like a pissed off monkey at a zoo. Half Life 2 is teh good times.
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Out of the three big sequals I believe Half Life 2 has the best, which makes me wonder. One reason given for making Doom 3 so tight and claustraphobic (not to mention lacking of enemies as I remember being charged by 30 or 40 demons at once in the original Doom) was cause most computers couldn't handle it properly. And rightfully so as for some strange reason Doom 3 performed mediocre on the lowest setting on my machine, which isn't THAT bad. So how come Half Life 2 not only looks better, but runs better, and has more expansive areas and more AI Entities then Doom 3?

The only good thing I can say about Halo 2 - You can see your feet finally in a FPS. This is the best accomplishment X-Box has ever to contribute to the game market.

Edit - Ofcourse I think Farcry was loads better then Doom 3 and Halo 2.
Harriers for the cup.
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

While Doom 3 didn't have much of a story, Half-Life 2 had a pretty crappy story. And did anybody notice the lack of weapons? No satchel charges? No token sniper rifle? Yeah, the gravity gun is pretty fun though, points for putting something like that relatively early in the game.

I was also thinking that G-man might be somehow related to Gordon Freeman. It is the eyes, I tell you, they are both green.

Other than that though, the game is really polished. Runs really well. And while I think Doom 3 edges out Half-Life 2 in graphics, at least I can play Half-Life 2 at a respectable graphics setting with minimal stuttering.
Canis Lupus
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Canis Lupus »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Out of the three big sequals I believe Half Life 2 has the best, which makes me wonder. One reason given for making Doom 3 so tight and claustraphobic (not to mention lacking of enemies as I remember being charged by 30 or 40 demons at once in the original Doom) was cause most computers couldn't handle it properly. And rightfully so as for some strange reason Doom 3 performed mediocre on the lowest setting on my machine, which isn't THAT bad. So how come Half Life 2 not only looks better, but runs better, and has more expansive areas and more AI Entities then Doom 3?
I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself right now because I can answer this question. It's because Doom³, when installed, is only around 1.9GB in size, lots of it is compressed into those PK4 files, and your PC has to decompress them on the fly, which makes for slowdown. It's the same for me, Far Cry runs perfectly at 1024x768 because it's around 3 gigs installed. Doom³ barely runs on 640x480 on mine. Of course, you can always go look for those tech guides on tweaking D³ and decompressing those PK4s, but really, who can be bothered?

I was going to ask: how big is HL2 installed?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

like, 19 gig
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

I got 4.41 GBs for my Half-Life 2.

And, and, if I recall, the file compression only counts when loading between levels.
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Atleast we all have countless variations of Counterstrike and TFC mods to look forward to.

Edit: Do we have to pay to get those mods out of curiousity? I never really checked the "Steam buy shit and download shit" point to see.

the only multiplayer you get with HL2 is Counterstrike source.
i'm not a big fan of it anyway, TFC was good fun, but its not available unless you have HL original installed
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

If you bought the "Gold pack" over steam you could have also got the Day of Defeat source.
Harriers for the cup.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

The Silver pack has it too, but DOD:S isn't out yet, I think.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

So let me get this straight..There is no deathmatch?

That's the only reason I ever play FPS...I might not even go out and get my free copy of HL2 if it doesn't have DM.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

HL2's main attribute is it's singleplayer campaign, which doesn't look that good. Get Vampire : Bloodlines instead.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

You find the crossbow which is essentially a sniper rifle. Same as in Half Life but it fires uranium bolts or something.

I finally got through the long ass dune buggy episode and it rocked the whole way. Stopping at areas along the highway and searching abandoned houses, taking out stuff, and tossing those rolling mine dealies into the ocean with the grav gun is awesome. I think I'm about to get in a bigger fight with allies. We'll see how that turns out. So far, though, Half Life 2 is way the fuck better than the first game. And Doom 3 isn't even in the same league.
Our Host!