Scars of a Million.

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Scars of a Million.

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

I thought I should tell everyone who hasn't caught on by now. Scars of a Million, the single player mod for FoT, has been cancelled. It was a good idea, great story, and had potental. Too bad no progress was ever made. I made the decision when my own map was mysteriously fucked beyond repair some three months ago. I've been discussing with Downed System about turning it into a giant fanfic, but I can't make any guarantees. Sorry people.
One day...
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

weren't a few maps already completed? what will happen to those?
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Man... another SP campaign bites the dust... :cry:

Are you going to be making any more maps for FOT (preferably SP)?
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

I'm not making any more, sorry. The ones we currently have still need scripting, and were not really the best examples of what SOAM really was. In other words, I'm not going to to release the maps I have.
One day...
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I meant will you be making any more FOT maps at all, i.e. single SP maps, mini-campaigns, etc.

I guess the real question is, "Are you quitting the FOT mapping scene entirely?"

I, for one, hope not.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Yup. I know it kind of sucks, but I've de-installed FoT and I'm moving on.
One day...
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Heh, yeah FO:T's like that... You invent so much time into it only to get screwed in the long run... I've been wary of putting too much work into it myself because of that. At least the map I lost was entirely MY fault :!:... Personally I don't like FO:T for three main reasons. The first is that there's too much hardcoded. The second is that if you make your maps more interesting (ie try to use smaller tiles to increse randomness and detail), the occlusion almost always has trouble, and the third being that the scripting really sucks.

There's several other problems but these can be overlooked: bugs and the lack of the tile and sprite editors... And also it's deviation from the Fallout universe, and lack of real dialog trees.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Well, until Mapper is fully released with all of the capabilities that the Tactics editor has, this is the closest thing that there is to extending the Fallout universe. I like the things that MV, Endocore and others have done with the editor and I think regardless of how you feel about Tactics, this stuff has potential to do alot for Fallout.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I don't think the mapper will improve things for FO either. Down to the core, you can't really expect the developers of games to do all the basic work for you without a financial gain. It will always be difficult while its up to them...
So Mapper or not, FoT Tools are as good as we can get and we'll better be prepared to invest a lot of time to it. Isn't this the way to do things you love in any case?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Sorry to hear that, BBM. I'm well aware of how much work a SP campaign is, especially if you want to make it worth "hanging your hat on".

I myself am very much behind schedule - Sixty days to completion?! Yeah, right!!! - but I'm still hanging in there and am commited to fighting it out to the bitter end.
Max-Munchkin wrote: Man... another SP campaign bites the dust... :cry:
Unfortunately this was my rather dire prediction for the vast majority of this type of project from the beginning. Sometimes it sucks to be right. :(
Flamescreen wrote:I don't think the mapper will improve things for FO either.
I could if we get some motivated and talented people who are willing/able to cooperate. Otherwise it's just too much damned work for one person to do. (FO-engine mini-game, anyone?)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

OnTheBounce wrote: I could if we get some motivated and talented people who are willing/able to cooperate. Otherwise it's just too much damned work for one person to do. (FO-engine mini-game, anyone?)
Well if you see the comments of most of the people wanting to do anything new with the mapper, I think most of them say something like: I will do this new area...
Our Host!