Requests/Questions/Stuff

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

So... if I were to make an NPC with 300% Bartering... then...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:So... if I were to make an NPC with 300% Bartering... then...
Unfortunately I don't have any hard data to quantify this for you. All I can say is that if an NPC had a 300% Barter skill and the PC had 100% you would be paying twice the amount as in a scenario where the PC had 300% and the NPC had 100%. (You could run some experiments, you know... ;) )

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
RawonaM
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by RawonaM »

I think the barter skill worked so that you calculate the difference in the barter skills of the both NPC and PC. Substracting the lower skill level from the higher skill level, so if the NPC has barter of 300 and the PC has 100 then it is 300-100=200, and this 200% is used in the price.(Thou I may be wrong but I remember that I read that somewhere, not sure :? )
Long Live Rock n' Roll
MacBeth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by MacBeth »

anyone knows where can i find some step-by-step-guide-for-idiots-only for spray 1.1..... i know how to make a raw file, export palette, but after importing it.. it looks like... 8O and i dunno what is wrong.... should the raw image have any default size? (for example cannot have 130:30 but has to be 130:54) or anything like that....
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Ask and you shall receive, I posted this awhile back on the old forums:

http://www.forumplanet.com/rpgplanet/fa ... tid=570844

Ok, this should be a pretty comprehensive guide to using photoshop to create a raw file:

1. Open your jpeg or gif file.

2. Hand color the background into one single darker color. Make sure it does not share a color with your image.

3. Use the magic wand tool to pick the background. Switch to the lasso tool and hold down "Shift" to add elements to the background or "Alt" to subtract areas from the background. The magic wand occasionally will select more of what it should so zoom in close and get as exact as possible.

4. Hold down "Shift+Ctrl+I" to make an inverse selection. This will select the object. Now hit Ctrl-C to copy the selection.

5. Go to "Image-Mode-Indexed Color" and use the default values of Adaptive palette, 8 bits/pixel color depth, 256 colors, and no dither.

6. There will be a toolbar for layers and channels on your desktop. Switch to the tab for channels. There should be one channel labeled "Index". On the bottom of that tool window there are 4 icons. Pick the icon that says "Create New Channel" when you hover the cursor over it. This will create an alpha channel. Click the empty gray box to the left of the Index channel. Make sure the alpha channel is still highlighted and hit the delete key. The object should show up now. Hit Ctrl-D to deselect.

7. While you are still in indexed color mode, go to Image-Mode-Color Table and save the color table. Hit the "OK" button.

8. Go to Image-Image Size and size your image to the size of the guibig as outlined below.

9. Save as a raw image with interleaved order and hit ok again.

10. Scale down the image twice more and save one for the guismall and the default images.

11. Import them in Spray.
Typical image sizes:
Book
guismall-48x27
guibig-96x53
default-19x11

Gun
guismall-42x27
guibig-84x52
default-18x9

Armour
guismall-51x27
guibig-101x54
default-35x32

Ammo
guismall-59x27
guibig-116x53
default-11x6

Follow these guidelines closely, especially for heights. Otherwise there will be funny things happening in your gui screen.

Also check here for a bounding box creation tutorial:

http://www.execpc.com/~yance/Fallout/Tutorial2.htm
MacBeth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by MacBeth »

thanks for the guide. i helped a lot.... but im still damn dumb.... maybe tommorow i will succesfuly import that damn raw :/

edit: weeee i almost DID it :D
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

What part are you stuck on?
MacBeth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by MacBeth »

something with importing and the file size. but you've been truley very helpful. and i think i will cope with it myself already. i like to learn thing in an empirical way (emm. does such a word exist in english?). and again i gotta thank you for your helo :)
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

The file size shouldn't matter, the image size will make a difference. Yes, "empirical" is the correct word but the common term is "trial and error".

"I like to learn things by trial and error."
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Hey Section8 - could you find out why the Level Editor crashes sometimes when "Make Picture" is used, and ways to "fix" it so it doesn't do it? I know about setting virtual memory to 400 MBs (or whatever the readme says), cutting out "detail" tiles (plants, boxes, etc.), and all that. A patch would be nice... but I'd settle for anything (and I have a feeling that's all I'll get, if I get anything at all :D).

OTB and m'self have been having a lil' discussion via email today concerning this very topic (my current map won't render when it shoud. It's only ~250 KB...), so any extra help/tips would be good.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

Hmm, I've never had the editor crash while making a picture, so I can't really offer any solution, but if you'd like to send the map my way, I'll see if I can give it a render here on one of our beastly machines.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

... never had the editor crash on Make Picture? Hmmm... ok...

bastard!

:mrgreen:

How'd you like me to send it? I dunno yer email address, and this board's "send email" fuction doesn't allow for attachments.

I guess you could just email me and I'll reply with the map attached.

Thanks for your help!
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Well, hold that thought, Section8, as I got the map to render. How, exactly, I have no idea. The map was a mere ~250K when it wouldn't render, and now it's over 450K and it renders fine.

Who'da thunk it? :mrgreen:
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

Oh. That sucks that you have to send email through the board.

It's garethd@microforte.com.au, but don't tell anyone. :P

But that's just there for future reference since the map rendered ok. :D
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Gareth, here is one for ya:

Alot of people have been asking about creating a new map or modifying a campaign map to play 2 or more players coop against the computer enemies. How would that be set up? It was supposed to be planned for the game but I haven't seen anything done with it....
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:Alot of people have been asking about creating a new map or modifying a campaign map to play 2 or more players coop against the computer enemies. How would that be set up? It was supposed to be planned for the game but I haven't seen anything done with it....
Well, this is really simple. Took me long enough to figure out, however. Here's how far I've gotten. The game doesn't recignize AI as typical players, so it needs to run like the SP compaign, wher an objective sets off the win/loose thing. Something else that needs to be mentioned is the fact that the game ends were this is only one player(team) left alive.

To first setup the game, make sure you have each player his own team. Players get assigned just like the attackers/defenders do. I don't think you need to add 'player' spots for them, like you do the CPU opponents. Other than giving each player his own team, it sets up alot like any typical Singleplayer map. A few diffrences are the fact that you need to have at all times at least two players alive or the game ends. You can't kill your friend when he gets in the way, and keep on going.

Hope you understand that. I would send you a very simple modification o downtown or uphill or something to show you, but my real computer is dead.
Help end poverty, eat the poor.
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

What ShadowValor said. I've never actually tried making a co-op map, but the theory is sound. Win/Lose triggers have to be done manually (I'd recommend using an "All alive at exit grid" to trigger a win. There are probably a number of issues with syncing up the network data, but they may be able to be circumvented or avoided.
--
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

Section8 wrote:There are probably a number of issues with syncing up the network data, but they may be able to be circumvented or avoided.
I sent someone a map not too long ago with what I posted above. He said it worked fine CTB, but crashed on turn 12 or so TB. I, myself, have witnessed quiet a few desycns while testing these Cooperative maps.
Help end poverty, eat the poor.
Chaos Horror
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Chaos Horror »

Hey, can someone please tell me how I can test out the mission I made? Do certain things have to be inplace? When I load my mission alls I get is a blank screen and no character either. I'm not even sure how I can incorporate the specified main character into the mission. Is that what you mean by pre-fab? I'm all confused, well could someone help me out on this?

You can private message me if you want.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Make sure you put a SpawnGeneric entity in the map. Place it where you want the player's screen to be when he/she starts the map.

Also, you need to have at least one actor with a player index of 1. Note that you don't actually HAVE to, as you can use triggers to change an actor's player index to 1 whenever you want, but since you're just starting out, I'd stick to the basics :D

I'm guessing you've made a character entity that you want to serve as the main character. All you need to do to get the actor in-game is to place it in the map (like you do for all entities), and change the actor's Player index to 1.

Prefabs can also be used, but those are for campaigns usually.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Our Host!