AI and doors

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

AI and doors

Post by Max-Violence »

Is it just me, or does the AI have an incontrollable urge to open every damn door they can find?

I'm playing thru Rebellion2 (so I can properly test RB3 :D ), and I noticed that every single door that's near an AI patrol route is open. Funny part: Not one should be. I only have one patrol route in the entire map that has an "open door" action, and the lone actor that particular waypoint belongs to is sleeping, and the only way to wake the actor up is to do a certain thing (of which I didn't do when I noticed all the doors in the whole damn map are open).

The opened doors are a serious problem because RB2 has some stuff tied to a couple doors being opened (the waking up of some abd guys, mostly). My plan was to get the player to find alternate ways of dealing with the bad guys than opening a door and barging in, guns blazing. But, since the AI opened every freakin' door, that plan died.

So, I guess this post is more of a rant than anything else...

Anyone know why the AI like opening doors so much and/or ways to make 'em stop?
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Without seeing your map and knowing the terrain, I'd suggest that you set the patrols' movement priority a little higher. Since this makes them more determined to move, they might no molest your doors.

Failing this, you might consider placing another Condition on your triggers, namely that the PCs have more than 0 Alive at a certain zone in addition to the door being opened to trigger whatever actions you have in mind. I recommend a small zone for each door, though. That way you don't have the problem of too many areas beginning to react because of one sneaking fucker.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I have all of the player's Move Priority at 7 - is that bad?

Yer right... I should have had the extra condition... and I would have, too, if I knew the AI was going to behave like this.

CURSES!

RB2 ain't gonna be what I was hopin' it was gonna be...
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I had a similar problem with a lot of random waypoints scattered around the map and citizens walking around the map. Ocassionally they would go through a building and congregate in a corner and then stay there! I had to switch some things around; waypoints and open other corridors for them to travel but they still open some doors. I guess the solution would be to lock them but make them very easy to pick open.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

If I locked every door in a map... I'd hate myself for it :lol:

I got lotsa doors :D

In a way, having the extra condition for my triggers wouldn't really solve the problem, since if the doors is/are open before the PCs get there, the triggers would go off right when the PCs get "in the zone."

So, what's the best Move Priority to have (assuming I don't want the patrols to be running)?
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:I have all of the player's Move Priority at 7 - is that bad?
I don't think you want to go higher than 8. If that doesn't work...well...

~*Suicide is painless,

it brings on many changes...*~

[j/k, just so that I don't get an email from some lawyer tomorrow. :lol: ]
Jimmyjay86 wrote:I had a similar problem with a lot of random waypoints scattered around the map and citizens walking around the map. Ocassionally they would go through a building and congregate in a corner and then stay there!
If you have obstacles in the path of a group you're thinking of setting on Random Waypoints, I'd recommend using the semi-random method of giving them choices at each WP. Simply insert semicolons between the numbers of the WPs you want to give them a choice of going to and it will work just fine.

OTB
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote: In a way, having the extra condition for my triggers wouldn't really solve the problem, since if the doors is/are open before the PCs get there, the triggers would go off right when the PCs get "in the zone."
Yeah, this is always tricky. You could make a very small zone in the archway of the door itself, but then you're still stuck w/the problem of the PCs being able to see inside the room w/o tripping your trigger. :(
Max-Violence wrote:So, what's the best Move Priority to have (assuming I don't want the patrols to be running)?
You know, I always have to look this up before I start fiddlin' wit' it because I can never remember.
SacredFoTEditorReadMe wrote:  Move Type Priority tells the actor how determined they are to do what the controller tells them too. If you set this high the actor will ignore anything around them to try to follow its orders. If set above 8 an actor will run rather than walk.
So there you have it. (Um...you're not using me....are you? ;) )

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

See, it says "the actor will ignore anything around them to try to follow its orders"

That's what made me think they wouldn't care if a door was near.

Eh, so I'm guessin' 4 er somethin' is good...
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:Eh, so I'm guessin' 4 er somethin' is good...
You know, you might be onto something. Maybe they are trying to open the doors to get somewhere more quickly.

Dunno. I can't see your map.

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:Dunno. I can't see your map.
You know, there's this thing called "the Internet" where people can download things that other people have made and check them out for themselves. It's amazing.

What's even more amazing is that there's these things on the the Internet called "links" that somone can click on and be looking at the exact web page (also called "web sites") that the link shows.

[/sarcasm]
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
endocore
Regular
Regular

Post by endocore »

I've never experienced anything like the problem you're describing, Max, and it's probably just all in your imagination. Have you considered psychiatric counseling for these hallucinations? :D

In all seriousness, though, I'd guess that OTB's suggestion that somewhere along the series of waypoints the actors are attempting to take an unauthorized "shortcut" which is causing them to path through areas which have closed doors. Another thing that might be causing this is that if you have two computer-controlled teams who are hostile to each other, perhaps the patrols in question are attempting to chase these other NPC opponents and this is leading them to stray from their assigned paths.

Endocore
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

The only two teams that are hostile with each other are the PC's team and the other team (Reavers, in this case), so that's not the problem.

I think I'll lower the Move Priority and see what happens... not now, though. I'm to into building RB3 :twisted:
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:You know...Internet...download...people...made...check them out...amazing...links...click on...
You know, you could have simply said, "This is something that is dl'able, OTB," or something along those lines, even if you had to stoop to calling me "the human dildo" or something. :lol:

I've just dl'ed it. I'll take a look at it later, oh Prolific One.

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Well, I posted that the map is done and DL-able in the FOT forum a couple days ago. I'dve thought you've seen it by now... guess not! :lol:
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Our Host!