BosAR70 combat rifle (historical revision)

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

BosAR70 combat rifle (historical revision)

Post by xbow »

BosAR70
BosAR70s

It is said that late one night while watching a pre war science fiction video and polishing a very special and particularly desirable systolic motivator the great Paladin Rhombus suddenly realized the need for a standard BOS combat rifle. He envisioned the weapon as one that could be used by anyone with average strength and also one that has significant advantages in reliability ease of manufacture and most of all fire power. Rhombus was incensed when the high elders refused his proposal, but he was never one to be dissuaded from his duty so easily.

Rhombus used his considerable leverage within the Brotherhood to set in motion a small R and D project to design his perfect individual weapon. The resulting weapon was the XM41 rifle, the weapon takes many of its attributes from pre war designs, for instance the M41 uses the delayed roller block locking mechanism from the G3, the forged aluminum receiver from the M16A1, the tritium coated iron sights from the M62 Valmet, and it can be quickly converted to suit both right and left handed shooters like the SteyrAUG. Unfortunately even though the tests and the design proved to a complete success the high elders still refused to consider adopting the weapon. The blueprints were then stored in the archives and all but forgotten as the Brotherhood turned its attention to the mutant threat.

When the Brotherhood sent its airships in pursuit of the mutant army an unknown Paladin took a copy of the plans. After establishing itself in the Midwest the Brotherhood produced the weapon for the first time. In the end the XM41’Rhombus’ was given the official designation of BosAR70 by the Midwest brotherhood and has become a much sought after weapon. In honor of the man that designed it the weapon is still referred to by most users as the ‘Rhombus‘.

Files updated 18:00 EST/Aug/28/2004 :

Download BosAR70 sprite/entity/description

Download BosAr70s(sniper variant) sprite/entity/description
Last edited by xbow on Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

To make it more in line with Fallout canon, why don't you have the Midwest build it from blueprints they took with them on their voyage, instead of Rhombus forcing it through?

It looks good, though. I think I'm gonna stick it in Stitch's inventory and try it out on the first mission.

Since I'm busy packing for college, though, I probably won't be able to give you my impressions until Monday or Tuesday.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

good idea

Post by xbow »

thats a good idea let me do a quick rewrite
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Well, I made time to look at.

The weapon seems a tad bit inaccurate to me, but that might be because I was playing with such shitty characters. The range could stand to be a little longer - I had people taking me under fire with pistols before I could get in range to attack them.

The spray damage seems a little insane - I did 96 points of damage with one firing - while the burst and single damage seems low. I'd suggest eliminating the spray mode and increasing the effectiveness of the other two.

Its a good concept, and a rather cool-looking thing, but until it is more effective my standard brotherhood rifle will remain the AK-47.
- the Vault Dweller
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Bos70 and Bos70s accuracy issue corrected.

Post by xbow »

Thanks for the heads up on the accuracy issue reltlaw83. I always tend to be a bit too conservative.

BosAR70
The spray function on the BosAR70 burns 10 rounds per pull thats the source of the increased damage about double over burst. But the arc is wider and less effective at longer ranges as it should be. close in it hits as hard as a belt fed.

The single shot range was initially 40 and the burst range was 30 I increased burst to 35 and bumped the accuracy of each mode to +10.

The AK has a single range of 35 and burst range of 28 so the only thing i can think of that would cause the AK to outrange the BosAR70 is if you had the sentry mode set to 33% or more, enemies always fire at max range.

BosAr70s

The AR70s has two modes of fire single (+20 accuracy) and three round burst(+10 accuracy) but in burst mode you can call your shot because of the recoil supressor and magna porting.

I replaced the old files in my initial post with the new ones to reflect the changes.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Cool. I'll stick them back in and give 'em a whirl.
- the Vault Dweller
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

This is SO much better. Its replacing the AK-47 as my standard. Also, now that I understand the theory behind spray mode, I can also use this to replace my Pancor jackhammers before the robot levels.

I also like the fact you can make targeted shots in burst mode with the sniper one. That's incredibly innovative.
- the Vault Dweller
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

cool

Post by xbow »

I tested it as well and it does make goo out of low level characters rather quickly. I like making those called bursts at short range. thanks for the testing it out.

ill be posting some other guns in a few days.

The Winchester 94 lever action in 44mag

H&R single shot shot gun

The Winchester Model 742 semi auto hunting rifle

The Russian RPD LMG

Post by Guest »

I like that ar70. The brotherhood logo on the side makes it look even cooler. I love the spray mode, makes me feel like wasting a whole town.
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

The gun is taken from Aliens.

Post by Guest »

Really? I didn't notice.(sarcasm intended)
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

welll duhhhhhhhhhhh!

Post by xbow »

Well duhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Snake! are you a detective? man! with just a tiny ammount evidence you have solved the riddle of the BosAR70! You are every bit as sharp as inspector gadget!

Clue 1
"It is said that late one night while watching a pre war science fiction video and polishing a very special and particularly desirable systolic motivator the great Paladin Rhombus suddenly realized the need for a standard BOS combat rifle."
Clue 2
"The resulting weapon was the XM41" rifle,

in any case the M41 pulse rifle just looks too cool to live without.

The image I started with:

M41 Pulse Rifle

What I ended up with:
BosAR70

The whoe thing was a sort of fan based easter egg that you alone apparently didn't get

Where did you come up with that original name for your mod?
Bahamut
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by Bahamut »

Ya know, that picture with the gun in the above post looks like the assault rifle in C&C Renegades, I want =)
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Makes me want to play AVP2.

Too bad my CDs are a thousand miles away :(

Also: Well done.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Our Host!