Are you still trying..

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Are you still trying..

Post by Mismatch »

To influence bethesda or summit over at the Elderscrolls forums?
I enter the occational post in the Fallout thread, and I've noticed briosfreak trying to set ppl straight over there....
However, I fear that those forums are frequented by utter morons...
Proof:
You probably mean that realtime doesn't work well with ranged attacks. Diablo, where you shoot with bows a lot, is prove of the opposite.
Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, the moderator over there are utter and complete asses, and some of you lads were thrown out of there or summit...

Well, the reason of this post is, essentially, an attempt to rally some ppl... To make a difference.
Just to get some ppl over there and show that some people really want TB and such.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Just make 'em come here. We'll give 'em a proper asskicking.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I used to go to the Obsidian forums but got sick of the asshats over there. I'm sure the level of idiocy over at Bethesda is about the same.When mods or admin condone idiocy over ideas that make sense and cohesive arguments then you know shit reigns supreme. Unfortunately the most vocal ppl are the most stupid.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Well, right now...
over at the elderscrolls forum, it's rather calm... not many seem to look at the FO3 thread.
There is this one ass-dingo (the one who made the diablo remark) who is a little deranged.
But well, i'd say its calm.

Post by Guest »

Ass-dingo! Priceless! Write that one down in the books boys!

TES seems to be okay, that one guy is a loon though.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Forum Highlights and a basic review as I read through this train wreck
----------------------------
For everyone elses sake, I've decided to look through the WHOLE thread (or atleast the one I found, it was locked and stickied and entitled FO3)and comment on some of my favorite quotes as well as general opinions I get from the forum. These were written as I read em so the first statements probably apply early on in the forum and the other ones later on. This will be long because I have alot of spare time for this obviousily.
And aw fuck you guys, I just found ANOTHER thread with another 20 pages worth of shit. I'll finish this later.....but without further ado the highlights to THREADY LINK

"Frequented" by utter morons seems to be an understatement. It seems like they've taken permanent residence there.
a first person 3d fallout with a full, Morrowind style world would be so awesome I would probably crap my pants if I thought about it for too long.

If thinking like this is common I fully expect FO3 to suck. Ofcourse, even some of the people who apperantly seem like the "Hardcore fallout guys loller" don't seem too bright. One guy felt that "that Python-ish humour" was a major part of the games. He then goes on to say that he doesn't think violent and mature games will do well, this with the fact that Grand Theft Auto is still the #1 best selling game (Could be wrong, but thats my guess)

Aw for gods sake, I'm only on page 3 and I'm starting to hate everyone there. Never mind, going further in there appear to be people who make more sense. Honestly, the forum seems to be made for sucking Todd Howards's dick more then anything else.

I think I just found my favorite quote
But why would you do that? just to be a jerk (thease forums are monitored for language) people like you are just mean I hope you get they all get banned 500 times.
Gee Whillickers, looks like we're all jerk poo heads.
let me remind you that most people playing a firstperson fallout would be wielding guns. so the combat would not suck. i am a huge fallout fan and have been since i was like 13. and theres nothing i've ever wanted more then a firstperson game set in the fallout universe. and for someone to say i'm not a fan or i'm stupid for wanting this...thats just lame.
I just wanted to put this here so I can call this guy stupid and not a fan. No other reason really.

Why is it that Metriod seems to be brought up so often when talking about changed a game from one type of game to another (2-d Platformer to 1st person). I mean even if Metriod was a "great game" (I've never played it nor have any intentions) its only ONE example of something succesful. Look at how many games tried to make the cross over and failed. Lord knows I finally got a good Contra game after about 6 years and the only thing it took was trying to NOT REINVENT THE FORMULA.
2nd, I think Fallout 3 will proboly to First Person. Trionka proboly would of done it. The oringal devs proboly would too. Wasn't there a interview a long time ago with one of the Fallout 2 devs about that?
I always feel better when people don't know what the fuck they're talking about, it always makes me feel like the most intelligent person on the interweb.
Why doesn't every fallout fan say something nice about morrowind

Because for the most part, we felt that Morrowind was a mediocre experience that was big, empty, and boring like a certain game company's bank account.

Teatime just gained more uber respect from me for all the bullshit he's had to put up thus far in this forum.
Ismotetric view is just a camera angle and Fallout is a very old game with limited graphics. You cant possible want something similar to Fallout compared to what a modern engine can do.
Actually I do. I'd much rather have the Fallout 2 engine with a new story and some new features and crap. Hell, I'd even prefer hand drawn 2-d graphics personally.
My definition of good may or may not include SPECIAL, but it definitely includes hookers and flamethrowers.

Because I forgot those two elements made Fallout whereas the Special system was just some optional thing that wasn't important to the ruleset at all. Jesus Christ, these people were fed draino as children, I swear it.
Also it is a very bad idea to say we don't know about RPGs, since Morrowind is an RPG...
Thats like saying the guys who made the "Pool of Radiance" know about RPG's just because they made one. Just because you put out a product that isn't really an RPG as much as "The ultimate waste of time" doesn't mean you know about rpgs.
I'm also a console gamer as well as a PC gamer, and I have to say that the Xbox audience is far, far different from the PS2 and GC audiences. KotOR and Morrowind are the two most popular RPGs on the system, and they are both undoubtedly PC RPGs in every way.
I've always wanted a damn excuse to hook up a "Wrong" game buzzer to my computer. Seems like as good of a reason as any. Considering I own a PS2 and a PC and most of friends only own an X-Box, I can say theres a significant differance between what I want in a game and what they want.
I dont think that being real-time combat nazi will get you more close on getting turn-base combat.

If only I could form my own fascist government, then I wouldn't have to listen to crap like this.

One of the few things I keep hearing from the developers (Who've been strangely silent the last 10 or 12 pages) is that they love fallout so much. If they love Fallout so much why in the hell don't they have any idea what the fuck they're gonna do? I realize its hard to type when you're sitting on your thumbs, but honestly, it's been acouple of months now, I expect to atleast know at this point if the thing is gonna be first person or third person. This kinda reminds me of early FOBOS days when they kept holding back facts and such from us.

Blah, morons. Not much else to say besides the normal arguments between everyone and people being more stubborn then mules.
Last edited by Wolfman Walt on Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harriers for the cup.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Edit: Oh for shits sake, there are 17 of these bastards. This'd take me weeks to read. So I'll just skip to the newest one next time. Jesus.
Harriers for the cup.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Why is it that Metriod seems to be brought up so often when talking about changed a game from one type of game to another (2-d Platformer to 1st person). I mean even if Metriod was a "great game" (I've never played it nor have any intentions) its only ONE example of something succesful. Look at how many games tried to make the cross over and failed. Lord knows I finally got a good Contra game after about 6 years and the only thing it took was trying to NOT REINVENT THE FORMULA.
Because one of the Bethesda developers brought up Metroid Prime as PROOF that taking something and making it first person can be a HUGE SUCCESS in an interview. I'm pretty sure it was Todd Howard.
Why doesn't every fallout fan say something nice about morrowind

Because for the most part, we felt that Morrowind was a mediocre experience that was big, empty, and boring like a certain game company's bank account.
It uninstalled with ease.
Ismotetric view is just a camera angle and Fallout is a very old game with limited graphics. You cant possible want something similar to Fallout compared to what a modern engine can do.
Actually I do. I'd much rather have the Fallout 2 engine with a new story and some new features and crap.

We've gotten a few numbnuts on RPG Codex who've said things like "Isometric is just a camera angle" as well. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people are. It's a hell of a lot more than a camera angle because it requires a totally different interface and allows for totally different gameplay mechanics, too. You can't even do a smart cursor point and click system in first person, for example. You can't do jump puzzles in isometric point and click. If you try either, you're too stupid to live, let alone be a lead designer on a project.
Hell, I'd even prefer hand drawn 2-d graphics personally.
Graphics haven't been hand drawn since the early 1990s.
My definition of good may or may not include SPECIAL, but it definitely includes hookers and flamethrowers.

Because I forgot those two elements made Fallout whereas the Special system was just some optional thing that wasn't important to the ruleset at all. Jesus Christ, these people were fed draino as children, I swear it.
One of the 50,000 people who bought Fallout Enforcer, I guess.
Also it is a very bad idea to say we don't know about RPGs, since Morrowind is an RPG...
Thats like saying the guys who made the "Pool of Radiance" know about RPG's just because they made one. Just because you put out a product that isn't really an RPG as much as "The ultimate waste of time" doesn't mean you know about rpgs.
Stormfront made Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. They also made a few other CRPGs in the past, including some damned good original gold box games.

PoR2's development was a fairly rocky one, with WotC changing rules on them right and left, several sets of developers working on the project and swapping them out, several publishers each wanting this or that to change, and so on.
------------------
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Saint P wrote: I'm pretty sure it was Todd Howard.
Makes sense since the Morrowind guys first and prime most duty is to suck Howard's dick since apperantly the man can do no wrong.

Hell, I'd even prefer hand drawn 2-d graphics personally.
Graphics haven't been hand drawn since the early 1990s.
Yep, and I'd rather take them over the latest and greatest graphics if it ment sacrificing things in the game. Point is, graphics make no differance to me and I'd even prefer 2-d graphics. Sure I'm in the minority that wouldn't get Bestheda much money, but I figure since we're apperantly in the minority anyways (according to every Bestheda fanboy that I read thus far) I might as well have mentioned it.

As for the Pool of Radiance - Didn't know all that stuff, I suppose it could have been a much better game without those limitations, but still. The point is, just because you put out one bad rpg doesn't neccesarily mean you know anything about RPG's. Storm Front may have been an exception, but even with their knowledge of RPG's, it didn't do them much good with all the restrictions put on them, which is kinda why I'm hoping Troika doesn't get all sorts of stupid restrictions put on their new project.

Also, I'm not alone with the way Bestheda is dealing with the issue being similar to the way Chuck and Crew delt with it right? If you ask me it sounds like they're hiding something because they had to have SOME idea what they're doing by now and if they wanted the Fallout fans "off their back" which is something they seem to want, then they'd already give SOME facts, but as far as I can tell, everyones pretty mute on the issue.
Harriers for the cup.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

One thing I thought of lately is how archery was done in Diablo. By doing enough damage to stun the target momentarily, the rogue could effectively stunlock her targets one at a time. I'm thinking that this would be pretty cool in Fallout 3. Every shot or attack could, if it did enough damage, push the target back a little and perhaps slow them down by giving them a short delay before they can continue their current action. Then we could get to see cool stuff like a PC stepping out into a doorway and get shot by half a dozen bandits, causing the PC to stagger back several steps and then drop down on the ground, bleeding severely. I'm thinking that the stagger effect ought to affect people in armour as well, although the weight of a power armor might be too hard to push back with small arms.
This gave me an idea...
which I posted
Let us leave the stunlocking in realtime discussion, since I reallyreally would hate realtime.
But I do think it could be done in TB too
When hit one could loose some number of AP's based on your agility and size and the impact of the weapon.
If you're agile and hit by a weak weapon, you may loose none, but if you're not very agile or big, you may loose many AP's.
A perk could be made out of this too, which limits or decreases the number of AP's you loose when hit.
Any thoughts?
Ah, and walt, about your question (I can't reply, by a msg, its bugged It seems)
I am above them, they can't touch me. That's how I put up with them.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

Aneurysm wins the most funny set of posts in the entire internet prize with his last posts at the Bethesda boards. I rolled over the floor laughing, literally. Shame you guys don`t understand portuguese, it`s really funny stuff.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

The fact that the people at the elderscrolls forums constantly compare Deus Ex and Diablo to FO shows what dumbshits they are. Deus es and diablo were good games (I still have a copy of Diablo floating around somewheres, in fact), but the are very very poor examples of what should be done with FO3.

They should all be shot. Repeatedly. In the leg. Who's wrong NOW, gimpy!

You should look for inspiration for FO3 from Fo and FO2. Take what is there, and improve upon it. Very simple, eh? If only there weren't complete retards in this world.....
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

MurPHy wrote:They should all be shot. Repeatedly. In the leg. Who's wrong NOW, gimpy!
Why not just finish the job? Makes no sense doing something half assed and leaving them in the gene pool.
Harriers for the cup.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Why not just finish the job? Makes no sense doing something half assed and leaving them in the gene pool.
Well actually it does.
Later on, when we real FO-fans have taken over the world.
Them assloggers can be used as slaves, working at our Fallout cd manufacturing plants, makeing sure that Fallout will be forever distributed. And, the more the merrier.
the jackal
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by the jackal »

great idea mismatch
I AM the jackal
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

so fo3 (if it comes) will definitly not be turnbased?
thats a shame, a darn shame!!
but i hope they wont do it 1st person like morrowind, top down rules, i think 1st person will take the magic away because they cant make the same ambience as a top down game.....
You are losing it, doesn`t matter, let`s close our eyes and wake up from this dream.....
-------------------------------
Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
-------------------------------
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

I won't even bother to buy the game if it's real time only...
same goes for real time with pause....
Or anything not turnbased FO style.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I might get it (if it doesn't get *all* bad reviews) no matter what it turns out to be. And hey, you can always warez it, right?
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

How it will be it`s not decided as far as i know.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Just download it D:
Our Host!