Music.

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Music.

Post by Shadowvalor »

I think listening to too much Dennis Leary has rotted my brain.
Anyway, if anybody could point me in the right direction wit this, I would be very grateful. What defines what music will be plaied during the single player campaign? I had assumed it would be a trigger, but I haven't found anything yet.

Any help is much appricated, I'm nearing a demo of my campaign. Yay, and stuff?
Help end poverty, eat the poor.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

You have to set up a properly formated text file and then import it to your mission. Each mission needs this done, there's no way to set it up for an entire campaign.

Point your browser to the following address:

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\editor

The file you're looking for is "ambientExample.txt". If you have questions about it ask away.

Hopefully someone still has a copy of the tutorial written by WaltherN...

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

For further guidance, you could look at Quagmire's sound file or Rebellion1 or RB2's sound file. Setting up the sound file isn't all that hard, really.

As far as the actual game's music goes, there's a certain (hard-coded, I'm sure) way the game plays music. For an example, play a map. Just sit there, don't move or attack anyone. Nice and quiet. Then, go and get into some trouble :) The music livens up.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:As far as the actual game's music goes, there's a certain (hard-coded, I'm sure) way the game plays music. For an example, play a map. Just sit there, don't move or attack anyone. Nice and quiet. Then, go and get into some trouble :) The music livens up.
You have two types of in-game music. First, there's the default that you set up in the sound file. Then, the game plays music determined by what enemy you're fighting whenever you're fighting. (The Ghoul music is pretty creepy, too. Unfortunately there weren't any decent opportunities to hear it in the core campaign, excepting the odd random encounter.)

OTB
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

Alright, thanks. I'll look into the sound file for the background music. I'll play around with gettign the right battle music where it's due, also.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Shadowvalor wrote:I'll play around with gettign the right battle music where it's due, also.
You don't control that, the game does. If you have, for instance, Raiders and Ghouls in your mission, the Raider music will play when the PCs are fighting Raiders, and the Ghoul music will play when they are fighting the Ghouls. There does seem to be a level of precedence, though. For instance, in the core campaign's Quincy map there's that assault on the Ghoul quarter by the mixed group of Wolves, Beast Lords and Deathclaws. You'll hear the "Critter" music when you're fighting the battle, not the Tribal music.

Cheers,

OTB
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

Depends how you consier control.
For example: the tribal race is replacing bos, since it can then have reaver and raider armor equiped, allowing more versitility. Also, since I really don't like tribals, Tribal-Huge has been replaced with the final boss. That means, when I fight it, the tribal music will play? MX_BA_TRI, right?

CRI, FIN, and GEN stand for what, by the way?
Sorry about all the questions, but the mood and atmosphere of my campaign is very important.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Shadowvalor wrote:For example: the tribal race is replacing bos, since it can then have reaver and raider armor equiped, allowing more versitility. Also, since I really don't like tribals, Tribal-Huge has been replaced with the final boss. That means, when I fight it, the tribal music will play? MX_BA_TRI, right?
I'm not sure of the exact file name, but yes, if you're replacing races the "Tribal" music should play when you're fighting. One solution to this would be to sit down and find the appropriate music's file name, the simply rename a more appropriate file.
Shadowvalor wrote:CRI, FIN, and GEN stand for what, by the way?
Sorry, but I really don't know. I'm guessing that "FIN" would be "finish", but that's just a guess.

OTB
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

Well now I'm seeming to have the problem of no music.

I put two beastlords, no music.

I think I know why, though. I put a huge mob of robots, with two beastlords in it. There was the robot battle music.

I put two beastlords and one robot. No music.

Now, since this is just my test level, these are the guys other than my 'squad' on the map. Could it be that it's not enough people with the two or three? Or could the Tribal-Huge race not have a music assigned to it, as there were always greater numbers of something else in the core campaign?
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

Okay, from what I've found it requires at least 5 of any given type of bad-guy for that music to play.

Now, this doesn't help me much, since then I still get no music with the one-on-one showdown at the end of my campaign. Would it be better if I make that a completely new mission(use the spawn main guy only thingie) and have it play just like normal background music?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Shadowvalor wrote:Okay, from what I've found it requires at least 5 of any given type of bad-guy for that music to play.
That's very odd. I've never encountered that. For instance, I have an area in a mission where a single Ghoul is gunning for the PCs, and whenever I've play-tested that mission it's always played the Ghoul music when the PCs were fighting him.
Shadowvalor wrote:Now, this doesn't help me much, since then I still get no music with the one-on-one showdown at the end of my campaign. Would it be better if I make that a completely new mission(use the spawn main guy only thingie) and have it play just like normal background music?
I don't think it will help. The background music is chosen by you, but you don't have to setup the combat music as it's hard-coded.

OTB
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Hmm... How much crap did the damn programmers hardcode...

Anyone noticed that the upgrades were supposed to be made within the weapon entity? And notice that the only (hardcoded) option was the Scope... Good thing they droped the idea really sine you might as well simply destroy the original item and create a new one...
Our Host!