Requiem's destroyable doors

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Chaos
Respected
Respected
Location: Somewhere, don't really know I got lost on the way to Vault 13.

Requiem's destroyable doors

Post by Chaos »

i downloaded requiem's destroyable doors bu i cant figure out how to set them up correctly i tried setting em up as breakables but the bounding box stays in one position so that i can only use the door facing a certain way and not the other, also if i set them up as doors they dont have the ability to be attacked, so I must be trying to use this them wrong way can someone help me?
Soldier of the wastes. :gun:
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

It's actually very simple. All you have to do is to set up a new "Rotating Door" entity. There will be a field that you can check/tick labeled "Destroyable". Make sure you have that field checked/ticked, assign a sprite and you're nearly done.

Note that there is no way to assign things like Hit Points, Armor Class, etc., to this type of entity. All this lets you do is to let you set up a door entity that will be destroyed if it is caught in the area of effect of a weapon that does Explode damage.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Haha, that's a funny one! I just looked that up priorly to this post for some idea I had. Lol! what an odd coinscedence(um, spelling?)

Flamescreen
Chaos
Respected
Respected

Post by Chaos »

so the door can ONLY be destroyed with something that does explode type damage?
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

Or perhaps it can be destroyed with burst fire done near the door?

By the way, im wondering if these doors just disappear when destroyed or do they have a different sprite for when they're destroyed?

Also, kind of a dumb question but do they also function just as well as normal doors? (working with triggers and all that)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

they are just sprites... you'll have to attach entities to them I think... so you'll have to make new ENT files with those sprites on them I think... not sure... didn't take a look at them yet...
Chaos
Respected
Respected

Re: RE

Post by Chaos »

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:Or perhaps it can be destroyed with burst fire done near the door?

-I tested this and no burst fire wont work i tried with rockets and that didnt seem to work either the only thing that seemed to work was grenades and that kinda blows.
[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:By the way, im wondering if these doors just disappear when destroyed or do they have a different sprite for when they're destroyed?
-They have a different sprite for when they are destroyed it sorta looks like the daaged door jam is left behind when destroyed.
[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:Also, kind of a dumb question but do they also function just as well as normal doors? (working with triggers and all that)
-Besides the fact that only grenades can damage them (from what i have tested) yes they function just as normal as any other door.
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

hmmmm good :D Would make a nice feature... Breaking and busting down doors in FOT :D
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

I hope that timed explosives also work, along with mines and such. Although its not a big deal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:It's actually very simple. All you have to do is to set up a new "Rotating Door" entity. There will be a field that you can check/tick labeled "Destroyable". Make sure you have that field checked/ticked, assign a sprite and you're nearly done.

Note that there is no way to assign things like Hit Points, Armor Class, etc., to this type of entity. All this lets you do is to let you set up a door entity that will be destroyed if it is caught in the area of effect of a weapon that does Explode damage.

Cheers,

OTB
OH MY GOD HE'S BACK!!! :drunk:

*ahem* Anyway, I seem to recall making a destroyable door in my very first map, DD Ch1, in which I could set HP, damage resistances/thresholds, etc.

...Or was that with an "existing" destroyable door sprite? :confused2:
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Are you sure that you didn't use a door sprite for a breakable MV?

The explosive rockets should destroy the doors, dynamite and c4 etc certainly do.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:Are you sure that you didn't use a door sprite for a breakable MV?
Um, I thought that's what we were talking about here? Making Breakable Door entities? :lalala:
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:OH MY GOD HE'S BACK!!!
Well...I'm "semi-back". :confused2:

There's been some complications, and eBay is taking up most of my time right now so I'll only be popping in in the most desultory fashion for the next week or so.
Max-Violence wrote:Um, I thought that's what we were talking about here? Making Breakable Door entities?
We're talking about making Destroyable Door entities, not using Door Sprites as a basis for Breakable entities.

While the latter solution has the advantage of allowing a modder to set up entities that have variable Hit Points, thresholds/resistances, or even Armo(u)r Class assigned it has the problem of not allowing the setting of multiple Animation Rotations (therefore requiring two entities, one for each angle), and also only being suited to simulating a door that has been permanently locked/jammed/etc. rather than the Destroyable Door, which can be used to allow the player to either use a non-combat skill to get through it, find a key, or expend some type of explosive, e.g. Frag. Grenade, Dynamite.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Our Host!