Yet another global catastrophe, but backed by the Pentagon.

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Yet another global catastrophe, but backed by the Pentagon.

Post by Neon Dingo »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... nvironment
The Pentagon report, commissioned by Andrew Marshall, predicts that "abrupt climate change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and energy supplies," The Observer reported.

The report, quoted in the paper, concluded: "Disruption and conflict will be endemic features of life.... Once again, warfare would define human life."

Some examples given of probable scenarios in the dramatic report include:

-- Britain will have winters similar to those in current-day Siberia as European temperatures drop off radically by 2020.

-- by 2007 violent storms will make large parts of the Netherlands uninhabitable and lead to a breach in the acqueduct system in California that supplies all water to densely populated southern California

-- Europe and the United States become "virtual fortresses" trying to keep out millions of migrants whose homelands have been wiped out by rising sea levels or made unfarmable by drought.

-- "catastrophic" shortages of potable water and energy will lead to widespread war by 2020.
Yeah, you all remember the Peak Oil thing, which wasn't exactly scientific or probable in some points.

Well, now we have a report backed by the Pentagon basically saying we're fucked because of global warming.

You know what they say. If it's not one thing, it's another.
This sentence has thirty-two letters.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Stupid Pentagon. I seriously doubt that a way to counteract or deal with global warming will not be found.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

Global warming is a lie.
Any halfassed Pentagon partisan can make a report and sound like they know what they are talking about.

Hell, I bet I could find a site that gives an explanation as to why global warming doesn't exist. And is clouded by politics.

http://www.crichton-official.com/speech ... ote04.html

Probably somewhere in here:
http://www.accesstoenergy.com/view/ate/s41p31.htm

Holy shit, that sounds like a paradise.
California is gone. America is a fortress. Then all we need is a good heavy-handed dictator to enforce his rule and subjugate the masses. Like me.
Mailbox Man!
Yar.
Inin
Regular
Regular

Post by Inin »

Could I be the snot-nosed lackey? (sniffle-sniffle)

Not second in command, but maybe third or fourth? I'd settle for fifth.

-Inin
Fight the Good Fight-
and die with the enemies' heart in your hand.
Aneurysm
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Aneurysm »

Yeah gringos I read that in the newspaper the other day , another turn in the doomsday clock. I might as well buy a rubber boat and some absinto just for safety.
Hey neon hombre can I be your buddy when this shit starts ? We could make sharp sticks and put mud on our face , and sing that Destiny's child song , the postman would be proud !

Compreende ?
:dead: In remembrance of Porcu :dead:
Grey Fil
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Grey Fil »

If there is absinto count me in.
Carpe jugulum.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

The key phrase from the report:

....abrupt climate change could....

Notice the underlined word? It means that yes, there is a chance. Of course the Pentagon needs to plan out for any eventuality and there isn't anything wrong with that. I'm sure they have a report that plans out their response to an invasion by UFO's too. Everyone knows that gloom and doom sells and so do consultants. Maybe Andrew Marshall is legit, maybe he is like Halliburton - trying to milk money out of the government to pay for his cushy retirement.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Global warming exists. The hell, it's inevitable, in fact. Has been for the last 5 billion years.

There are these ups and downs, you know, like these things called the 'ige age' on the low and others called 'global warming' on the high, see? These things go up and down up and down and change the global climate dramatically every 5000 years or so. They don't come overnight or anything, if you're afraid of that, but it'll come. Eventually. There's no denying that.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Kashluk wrote:Global warming exists. The hell, it's inevitable, in fact. Has been for the last 5 billion years.
Let's not lose perspective. It was very hot in the beginning and has continued to slowly cool since then.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

True. It seems that, at least according to my (veeery old) book, my previous "ups and downs"-thingy only applies for the last 500 000+ years. Sorry.
Myrrdin
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Myrrdin »

Well... i wouldn't say it's "a lie". The jury is still out on wether humanity's assraping of the environment are accelerating global warming or not. There are scientists arguing for, and there are those arguing against. As I have a hard time seeing what kind of rich enough corporate backers those arguing for could have I'm really leaning their way at the moment.

I still think you car-crazed Americans should take the train a bit more often though.
Organized religion is the first thing that will be put up against the wall and shot when the revolution comes.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Gobal Warming is Bin Laden's fault. It's his war against America that's screwing up the world. It's obvious!

Now, if the US Government was so environmental, they would realize that converting their country to hydrogen power would be much better than building a SECRET MOON BASE. I guess Dubya really wants to show those Chinese.
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

ONLY PATRIOTISM WILL PROTECT US FROM THE SUN NOW.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:The key phrase from the report:

....abrupt climate change could....

Notice the underlined word? It means that yes, there is a chance. Of course the Pentagon needs to plan out for any eventuality and there isn't anything wrong with that. I'm sure they have a report that plans out their response to an invasion by UFO's too. Everyone knows that gloom and doom sells and so do consultants. Maybe Andrew Marshall is legit, maybe he is like Halliburton - trying to milk money out of the government to pay for his cushy retirement.
exactly. the world also could collapse in on itself and aliens could come and steal the worlds supply of peanut butter.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

Yeah, and then again the report did get retracted by the Pentagon and had to be illegally obtained. Maybe they don't want people to freak out? Who knows?

When the Pentagon retracts an important report it makes you wonder.
This sentence has thirty-two letters.
Myrrdin
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Myrrdin »

That "could" is probably more along the lines of: Smoking could give you lung-cancer. Drinking a litre of vodka could give you alcohol poisoning. Insulting a big, stupid guy full of steroids could give you a broken nose. It's not certain, but it's a real possibility. I wont start a "quoting scientists" war, because as I said, the scientific community are really split about this. Hopefully though, they will stop being split before it's possibly too late.
Organized religion is the first thing that will be put up against the wall and shot when the revolution comes.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Myrrdin wrote:That "could" is probably more along the lines of: Smoking could give you lung-cancer. Drinking a litre of vodka could give you alcohol poisoning. Insulting a big, stupid guy full of steroids could give you a broken nose. It's not certain, but it's a real possibility. I wont start a "quoting scientists" war, because as I said, the scientific community are really split about this. Hopefully though, they will stop being split before it's possibly too late.

before its too late? last time i checked, it looks to be pretty difficult to reverse global warming.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Myrrdin
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Myrrdin »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:before its too late? last time i checked, it looks to be pretty difficult to reverse global warming.
Oh, and there are SOOOO much research aimed at possible ways to slow or stop it. Not. There won't be any serious research into this area until we know if it necessary or not, and rightly so if I might add. But this is the reason we need to definitely know if the threat is real or not ASAP.
Walks with the Snails
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Walks with the Snails »

Yeah, that's a good point. Man has been devising ways to defy the pointless restrictions of his environment ever since the first caveman figured out how to rub two sticks together to make a campfire. Maybe if the whole global warming thing makes things a bit too unpleasant for enough of us, there will finally be the impetus to make "Mother Nature" our bitch once and for all. The sooner the better, I say.
Grey Fil
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Grey Fil »

There is little could about global warming. The biggest could is if humans are really responsible for it or not.

The average temperature of the planets surface is generally a little higher then whe have now. The last ice age finished about 10 000 years ago. But some scientists believe that a micro ice age begun around the 3rd or 4th century AD wich could be responsible for the massive migrations of people in central asia and the end of the roman empire. That period is now finishing. If humans are causing this or not is what scientists now are discussing most. There is a big diference, because naturally occuring global warming usually takes centuries if not millenia to occur. A short time in geological terms but a long time in human history. A human induced global warming can be much faster and give not enough time to adapt to it.

And mother nature is not and i doubt she ever will be our bitch, mothers can be quite nasty.
Carpe jugulum.
Our Host!