Duck and Cover Forum Index


Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

 Support DAC!
 Vehicles View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular


Joined: 20 May 2002
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Now, I've had this first question for some time. I never get around to working on it myself. The second question just came to me today, when planning out new mechanics for my mod to fit the altered mood of FoT.

So, first question. Using the UniqueOther race, would it be posible to make a 'vehicle npc' to simulate the whole idea of NPCs being in the vehicles. Is this posible, because it would allow a form of vehicle to vehicle combat, or perhaps even having your squad take out well entrenched armor.

Second question. Is there a way to up the damage you deal form running someone over. Doing 7 damage is fine, great. Finding a long strech of road, and seeing a raider standing int he middle of it, you just want to hit the peddle to the metal and slam into the guy. I think this would be a whole lot cooler if you could kill them this way.
View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 2257
Location: Grafenwoehr, Oberpfalz, Bayern, Deutschland

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shadowvalor wrote:
So, first question. Using the UniqueOther race, would it be posible to make a 'vehicle npc' to simulate the whole idea of NPCs being in the vehicles. Is this posible, because it would allow a form of vehicle to vehicle combat, or perhaps even having your squad take out well entrenched armor.


AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

No! Not this question...AGAIN!!!

Sorry, I'll try to control myself next time... :oops:

Can you tell this has come up before? Well, if you can't: it has. This is a dead end. The problem is that the vehicle sprites have 32 animation rotations compared to the 8 of actors. So, until we can get a sprite editor that's a little more advanced than Spray, this will remain a golden hind.

Shadowvalor wrote:
Second question. Is there a way to up the damage you deal form running someone over. Doing 7 damage is fine, great. Finding a long strech of road, and seeing a raider standing int he middle of it, you just want to hit the peddle to the metal and slam into the guy. I think this would be a whole lot cooler if you could kill them this way.


Try editing the "Damage Multiplier" field. It's under the "Speed and Gears" tab. I'm not sure this will work, but if it's the only thing I can think of right now that might do it, since running someone/thing over isn't an attack and there is no weapon entity to edit the damage value on.

Cheers,

OTB
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 150
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

~takes a look at the post and sobs uncontrollably~

... before you ask, there's no way to make an existing sprite that isn't a vehicle already, into one. note that the robots are actor sprites and not vehicles...
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Pataso
SDF!
SDF!


Joined: 19 Apr 2002
Posts: 8
Location: ciudad amarilla

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shadowvalor wrote:
Second question. Is there a way to up the damage you deal form running someone over. Doing 7 damage is fine, great. Finding a long strech of road, and seeing a raider standing int he middle of it, you just want to hit the peddle to the metal and slam into the guy. I think this would be a whole lot cooler if you could kill them this way.


The damage u do with a vehicle has a lot to do with the piloting skill. it is like if the piloting skill was some kind of weapon skill. it works like one, at least. if your pilot has 170% or more, be sure that a few will survive a hit.
if u increase the damage multiplier in the car it will be more harmful even.
the bad thing with this is that if u have 170% and just make a very little movement with the car, like starting it, or just making a little turn, it would do almost the same (if not the same) damage it would do when running at high speed.(considering that there is somebody next to the vehicle).
View user's profileSend private message
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 1221
Location: In my own personal vault

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pataso wrote:

The damage u do with a vehicle has a lot to do with the piloting skill. it is like if the piloting skill was some kind of weapon skill. it works like one, at least. if your pilot has 170% or more, be sure that a few will survive a hit.
if u increase the damage multiplier in the car it will be more harmful even.
the bad thing with this is that if u have 170% and just make a very little movement with the car, like starting it, or just making a little turn, it would do almost the same (if not the same) damage it would do when running at high speed.(considering that there is somebody next to the vehicle).


Wow, I was not aware of that. I always thought it had to do with the speed and weight of the vechicle...
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular


Joined: 20 May 2002
Posts: 63

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 2:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

War Bringer wrote:
~takes a look at the post and sobs uncontrollably~

... before you ask, there's no way to make an existing sprite that isn't a vehicle already, into one. note that the robots are actor sprites and not vehicles...


I wasn't going to. Why would I want to?
View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 150
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Shadowvalor wrote:
War Bringer wrote:
~takes a look at the post and sobs uncontrollably~

... before you ask, there's no way to make an existing sprite that isn't a vehicle already, into one. note that the robots are actor sprites and not vehicles...


I wasn't going to. Why would I want to?


just in case...

i nearly blew my brains out trying to figure out a way to make some kind of exo armour with the cyborg sprite. i thought it would have been cool making a one man vehicle or something. maybe a suit you can use to safely walk around a radio active base in some special mission or something.

anyway, the closest i got to was of a kneeling cyborg suit that moved up and down, but didn't change interms of where it was looking... really looked odd...
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


Jump to:  



View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group