Vehicles

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Vehicles

Post by Shadowvalor »

Now, I've had this first question for some time. I never get around to working on it myself. The second question just came to me today, when planning out new mechanics for my mod to fit the altered mood of FoT.

So, first question. Using the UniqueOther race, would it be posible to make a 'vehicle npc' to simulate the whole idea of NPCs being in the vehicles. Is this posible, because it would allow a form of vehicle to vehicle combat, or perhaps even having your squad take out well entrenched armor.

Second question. Is there a way to up the damage you deal form running someone over. Doing 7 damage is fine, great. Finding a long strech of road, and seeing a raider standing int he middle of it, you just want to hit the peddle to the metal and slam into the guy. I think this would be a whole lot cooler if you could kill them this way.
Help end poverty, eat the poor.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: Vehicles

Post by OnTheBounce »

Shadowvalor wrote:So, first question. Using the UniqueOther race, would it be posible to make a 'vehicle npc' to simulate the whole idea of NPCs being in the vehicles. Is this posible, because it would allow a form of vehicle to vehicle combat, or perhaps even having your squad take out well entrenched armor.
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

No! Not this question...AGAIN!!!

Sorry, I'll try to control myself next time... :oops:

Can you tell this has come up before? Well, if you can't: it has. This is a dead end. The problem is that the vehicle sprites have 32 animation rotations compared to the 8 of actors. So, until we can get a sprite editor that's a little more advanced than Spray, this will remain a golden hind.
Shadowvalor wrote:Second question. Is there a way to up the damage you deal form running someone over. Doing 7 damage is fine, great. Finding a long strech of road, and seeing a raider standing int he middle of it, you just want to hit the peddle to the metal and slam into the guy. I think this would be a whole lot cooler if you could kill them this way.
Try editing the "Damage Multiplier" field. It's under the "Speed and Gears" tab. I'm not sure this will work, but if it's the only thing I can think of right now that might do it, since running someone/thing over isn't an attack and there is no weapon entity to edit the damage value on.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

~takes a look at the post and sobs uncontrollably~

... before you ask, there's no way to make an existing sprite that isn't a vehicle already, into one. note that the robots are actor sprites and not vehicles...
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

Pataso
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Pataso »

Shadowvalor wrote:Second question. Is there a way to up the damage you deal form running someone over. Doing 7 damage is fine, great. Finding a long strech of road, and seeing a raider standing int he middle of it, you just want to hit the peddle to the metal and slam into the guy. I think this would be a whole lot cooler if you could kill them this way.
The damage u do with a vehicle has a lot to do with the piloting skill. it is like if the piloting skill was some kind of weapon skill. it works like one, at least. if your pilot has 170% or more, be sure that a few will survive a hit.
if u increase the damage multiplier in the car it will be more harmful even.
the bad thing with this is that if u have 170% and just make a very little movement with the car, like starting it, or just making a little turn, it would do almost the same (if not the same) damage it would do when running at high speed.(considering that there is somebody next to the vehicle).
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Pataso wrote: The damage u do with a vehicle has a lot to do with the piloting skill. it is like if the piloting skill was some kind of weapon skill. it works like one, at least. if your pilot has 170% or more, be sure that a few will survive a hit.
if u increase the damage multiplier in the car it will be more harmful even.
the bad thing with this is that if u have 170% and just make a very little movement with the car, like starting it, or just making a little turn, it would do almost the same (if not the same) damage it would do when running at high speed.(considering that there is somebody next to the vehicle).
Wow, I was not aware of that. I always thought it had to do with the speed and weight of the vechicle...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

War Bringer wrote:~takes a look at the post and sobs uncontrollably~

... before you ask, there's no way to make an existing sprite that isn't a vehicle already, into one. note that the robots are actor sprites and not vehicles...
I wasn't going to. Why would I want to?
Help end poverty, eat the poor.
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

Shadowvalor wrote:
War Bringer wrote:~takes a look at the post and sobs uncontrollably~

I wasn't going to. Why would I want to?
just in case...

i nearly blew my brains out trying to figure out a way to make some kind of exo armour with the cyborg sprite. i thought it would have been cool making a one man vehicle or something. maybe a suit you can use to safely walk around a radio active base in some special mission or something.

anyway, the closest i got to was of a kneeling cyborg suit that moved up and down, but didn't change interms of where it was looking... really looked odd...
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

Our Host!