stuff on cars.

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

stuff on cars.

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

anyone know some good sites to find information on stock cars from 1960-1980 and preferably american?

and if you know any good mod part sites for old cars it would be handy. wiring harnesses, underdrive pullies, turbos and that sort of gear. anything for a little more horsepower.

im looking for some stock info on delorians because i found one for sale in my area and i wanna see if it has stock components. i dont need a car with uber crash damage and a smaller engine.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

im looking for some stock info on delorians because i found one for sale in my area and i wanna see if it has stock components. i dont need a car with uber crash damage and a smaller engine.
Don't bother. Half the people in the U.S. don't even know what that is, much less would take the time and effort to pull stuff out of it. If it runs, then it's probably stock. Probably. If I'm wrong (and I probably am) do a few google searches on it. It'll turn up something.

I don't know about online resources, but if you go to any Barnes & Nobles, under "Transportation" you will find anything and everything about all makes and models of cars. Well, either that, or my local B&N is very well-stocked (unlikely). It's how I found a Chilton's manual for my '90 Mustang. Good stuff.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

atleast theres one person on here who knows something about cars other than how to barely drive them and bring them to a mechanic.

those chilton manuals are insane for info. we had them in the shop i used to work in. you can fix any car problem using a chilton manual and a little skill.

EDIT: 95% of people in the US and Canada combined have no clue what the hell makes a car run let alone anything other than take it to a mechanic to fix or who makes what and when.

i think ill be a mechanic and charge people uber prices to fix their cars when its only a 4 dollar part. WAIT its already done. silly noobs.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

You'd be extremely lucky to find a car from that era which is stock. I fall in the odd crowd of people who prefer to keep their car the way it originally was. It does wonders to the value and you'll save a lot of money.

For Deloreans, there's a whole community of owners out there. http://delorean.com/ might be a good start. I'm not a big fan of the car myself.

Forgot to mention I was a car mechanic for several years. If you have any questions about what to look for when buying a classic car (like how to spot the difference between steel and bondo, does it have the original engine and is it any good, etc.) feel free to ask.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Mad Max RW wrote:Forgot to mention I was a car mechanic for several years. If you have any questions about what to look for when buying a classic car (like how to spot the difference between steel and bondo, does it have the original engine and is it any good, etc.) feel free to ask.
glad you said so. how in the hell do you tell steel from bondo?
thats one thing i could never figure out.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

There's a number of ways. You can either run a magnet over the car and where it doesn't stick there's bondo. Another method is running a regular compass over the surface and watch the needle. Before you do any of that just ask if there was any body work in the first place.

Also, older cars tend to rust badly, usually the worst at the bottom sections of the doors. If you're in the midwest or south you should have nothing to worry about. But if you're in the Northeast where tons of salt is dumped in the streets during the winter, finding a classic car not ravaged by rust is next to impossible.
But you're looking at a Delorean which is almost completely stainless steel. The only thing that rusts is the frame and engine.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Mad Max RW wrote:There's a number of ways. You can either run a magnet over the car and where it doesn't stick there's bondo. Another method is running a regular compass over the surface and watch the needle. Before you do any of that just ask if there was any body work in the first place.

Also, older cars tend to rust badly, usually the worst at the bottom sections of the doors. If you're in the midwest or south you should have nothing to worry about. But if you're in the Northeast where tons of salt is dumped in the streets during the winter, finding a classic car not ravaged by rust is next to impossible.
But you're looking at a Delorean which is almost completely stainless steel. The only thing that rusts is the frame and engine.
meh i new the magnet trick now that you said it but usually people dont carry around a magnet.
i live in southern ontario which means snow and uber saltage.

ive seen some old cars in pretty good condition around here for sale. most need some work but its only superficial. usually the engine still has low km its just a little rust by the wheels which is easily fixed.

i found a beautiful gold 79 trans-am with the badassed bird on the hood a while ago. only 2000 too. i think i should seriously go look at it because i need a car to drive. from what i could tell it was in good condition. no rust or anything. guess i gotta go bring a magnet when i go look at it next.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:atleast theres one person on here who knows something about cars other than how to barely drive them and bring them to a mechanic.
Well I'm not an expert or anything, but I can do the simple stuff like change the oil and brakes (but I need my dad's help with the rear drum brakes, as those things are damn complicated).
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:those chilton manuals are insane for info. we had them in the shop i used to work in. you can fix any car problem using a chilton manual and a little skill.
Yeah. I love that book. Especially the chapter titled "Emissions Control". Hmm. Stuff on my car that lowers performace and power? Time to get rid of that crap!
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

MurPHy wrote:Yeah. I love that book. Especially the chapter titled "Emissions Control". Hmm. Stuff on my car that lowers performace and power? Time to get rid of that crap!
emissions control always lowers performance.
unless you get one of those 500 dollar performance catalytic converters it can uber lower performance. you can lose like around 10 horse or something along those lines just from that emissions control device. its about the only emissions control device i either removed or "modified" because its relatively easy and gives a good horsepower gain.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:you can lose like around 10 horse or something along those lines just from that emissions control device. its about the only emissions control device i either removed or "modified" because its relatively easy and gives a good horsepower gain.
Really? Just from the catalytic converter? Hmm. Seeing as the ones on my car are (probably) original, factory stock parts, I don't think that they are the 500 dollar performance kind. Exactly how did you "modify" it? Did you just remove it outright?
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

MurPHy wrote:
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:you can lose like around 10 horse or something along those lines just from that emissions control device. its about the only emissions control device i either removed or "modified" because its relatively easy and gives a good horsepower gain.
Really? Just from the catalytic converter? Hmm. Seeing as the ones on my car are (probably) original, factory stock parts, I don't think that they are the 500 dollar performance kind. Exactly how did you "modify" it? Did you just remove it outright?
heh the boss in the shop always said if anyone asked for a cat job just to take the catalytic converter off and ram a pipe through it then put it back on.
you get direct flow which means you gain the horsepower and if a cop looks under to see if you have one, they see a cat.

and believe me, if your car is loud cops will stop you and check to see whats doing it. my buddy ripped the cat right off his 5.9 dakota RT and put a pipe in its place and the next week he got a 200 dollar ticket because the cop looked under and saw his cat was gone.

but on the other hand, i took the cat off my dads 2000 dakota a while ago and he hasnt had anything happen.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:heh the boss in the shop always said if anyone asked for a cat job just to take the catalytic converter off and ram a pipe through it then put it back on.
you get direct flow which means you gain the horsepower and if a cop looks under to see if you have one, they see a cat.
Sounds pretty good. If I had the time and cash I might get it done someday...

But what about cars that never had a cat to begin with? Like the musclecars of old etc. Will you get a ticket if you drive one of those around w/ out mufflers or sound deadeners etc.? I know it might be a dumb question, but I was wondering about it.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

MurPHy wrote:
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:heh the boss in the shop always said if anyone asked for a cat job just to take the catalytic converter off and ram a pipe through it then put it back on.
Sounds pretty good. If I had the time and cash I might get it done someday...

But what about cars that never had a cat to begin with? Like the musclecars of old etc. Will you get a ticket if you drive one of those around w/ out mufflers or sound deadeners etc.? I know it might be a dumb question, but I was wondering about it.
in canada it depends how old it is. anything over 20 years old gains classic status and doesnt need emissions control because its supposedly not supposed to be driven every day.
im pretty sure most cars 84 and on came stock with cats so i guess that answers your question in canadian terms.

ive got this chick on my list who says she drives a 94 saturn without power steering. she also said it came stock without it. i thought power steering was stock on all cars after the 50s but i could be wrong...
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:ive got this chick on my list who says she drives a 94 saturn without power steering. she also said it came stock without it. i thought power steering was stock on all cars after the 50s but i could be wrong...
On some cars it is still an option. It varies by make and model.

Anyway, thanks for the info. The "classic" status thing is probably the same here in the U.S.
Zed
Respected
Respected

Post by Zed »

put neon lights in the trunk. that's sexy.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Best car in the world:
Core Puzzle
Regular
Regular

Post by Core Puzzle »

Bestest car in the world:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

You win.
Franz Schubert