Recruit pool and Merchants

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
bertgoldstein
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Recruit pool and Merchants

Post by bertgoldstein »

I know how to add recruits in a campaign, but is it possible to take recruits out of the pool? I'm going to go with requiem's idea of being able to become a raider if your reputation gets too low and you get thrown out of the Brotherhood that was posted in that other thread.

The only problem I see in implementing it is what to do with the recruit pool, since you wouldn't have access to the same set of recruits as a raider. The easiest way would be if I could just remove all the recruits and add some new ones.

If not I'd just have to go a different route for recruits.

And as a second, unrelated question, I read in the description of Fallout:Redux that the merchants are going to have their stock resupplied by scripting. Is there a tutorial somewhere on doing this? Because it would be a great feature for any campaign.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Re: Recruit pool and Merchants

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

bertgoldstein wrote:I know how to add recruits in a campaign, but is it possible to take recruits out of the pool? I'm going to go with requiem's idea of being able to become a raider if your reputation gets too low and you get thrown out of the Brotherhood that was posted in that other thread. .
I don't know, but you could try something like

{mission99;minus;entities/recruits/hm01.ent},

Then set up the modify recruits trigger and see if it'll remove the recruit, though the recruit will probably have to be in the pool before the trigger is fired.
bertgoldstein wrote:The only problem I see in implementing it is what to do with the recruit pool, since you wouldn't have access to the same set of recruits as a raider. The easiest way would be if I could just remove all the recruits and add some new ones.

If not I'd just have to go a different route for recruits.
Personally I don't see Raiders as having recruit masters, perhaps instead it might be better to have individuals hanging around your raider camps (or available in towns etc) who you could recruit as in the RPGs by completing an objective or just talking to them.
bertgoldstein wrote:And as a second, unrelated question, I read in the description of Fallout:Redux that the merchants are going to have their stock resupplied by scripting. Is there a tutorial somewhere on doing this? Because it would be a great feature for any campaign.
Well I don't know how OTB's going to do it but two ways you can try, one is to set up clones of the merchants with different inventories and then use the move unit comands to switch them around between the shop and a hidden off map reserve or using the deactivate and stationary actions.

The second way is to have triggers set up to add and remove items from the Quarter Master's list and have the merchants tagged as QMs. So if you are in a bunker you'd have the triggers add BOS equipment, and in a mission you'd have the triggers take away the BOS equipment and add civilian junk.

It's quite easy to take stuff away, they do it in the main campaign all the time to clean up the QM's stock.

{mission07;-1000;entities/weapons/Rifles/ithacaShotgun.ent}
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: Recruit pool and Merchants

Post by OnTheBounce »

bertgoldstein wrote:And as a second, unrelated question, I read in the description of Fallout:Redux that the merchants are going to have their stock resupplied by scripting. Is there a tutorial somewhere on doing this? Because it would be a great feature for any campaign.
The non-QM merchants that restock are simply set up w/clones. At a certain point in the campaign the Player Index w/the original merchants is deactivated, and then the Index w/the replacements who have new stock is activated. All of this is simply handled w/campaign variables, in fact I so far have tied it to certain missions being completed. (I also have the speech of people at them change to reflect what's going on in the campaign and the one I've done so far even has more people popping up in the bar as conditions improve.)

Right now I'm planning on setting up one trader SRE for every bunker, and each one will have one restock point. I might delete the later ones since most trading posts in the wastes don't really have much that would interest a high-level squad w/access to the BoS QM, but for right now it's a case of "wait-and-see".

This system is simple, effective, and it makes those "Trader" SREs a bit better than they were in the core campaign. This bit is important at first since you don't have access to the BoS facilities before you're initiated into the BoS, which is accomplished at the end of Mission 03 if your Reputation is high enough.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
bertgoldstein
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by bertgoldstein »

Thanks guys.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

I've just tested it and you can use the triggers to remove recruits,

but it's the remove command not minus.

{tagName;remove;entities/recruits/hm01.ent},
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Bertgoldstein: You're welcome.
requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:I've just tested it and you can use the triggers to remove recruits...but it's the remove command not minus.
Cheers, Req!

OTB
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

OnTheBounce wrote:Cheers, Req!
No problem. I like a scripting challenge. :)

Just to clarify things, it'll remove recruits from the pool not from your squad. It will remove recruits that you've had in your squad and returned to the pool.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:Just to clarify things, it'll remove recruits from the pool not from your squad. It will remove recruits that you've had in your squad and returned to the pool.
I figured that, but it's good to know for certain.

Kind of funny to hang onto people that have been removed from the pool, though. Then again, it's possible to have people w/a rank of "Civilian" in your squad in FoT: Redux. That's why I call them "associates" in the early missions, which pretty much puts them in the same boat as the CNPCs in FO.

BTW, one thing that I noticed that MF fucked up on was that in Brahmin Wood you start w/two people in your squad, yet they are added to the 'cruit pool regardless of whether or not they survive since they're lumped in w/a specific group. So I simply used Tag Names and some Campaign Variables to ensure that you won't see people popping up in the 'cruit pool that you left face down in a pool of blood in Mission 01...

OTB
Our Host!