The Direction of DAC, HAVE A SAY.

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Which way should I go?

PA Media...
28%
PA Games...
58%
Other...
13%

Total votes: 60

PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

I thought they already made the new Toejam and Earl and it blew chunks? Or was that the demo? Nothing like the old game. Total crapola. Oh well, all I remember about the original was having fun going to the secret level. I don't actually recall trying to win on the game that much..

I wish there were more games like Xcom, Fallout, and Jagged Alliance. Nowadays people like to use a cheap format similar to Abomination & Siege of Avalon, and it makes the game feel cheap somehow. Its just not the same. Graphics aren't as good, combat is sloppy, etc..

I don't really understand why some Sci-Fi people hate fantasie so much. I loved the baldur's gate games just as much as the fallout games. Of course I also like the Fallout Tactics game engine (but not the campaign that come with it), and I know a lot of people despise that game.

I can, however, understand people not liking the D20 system. I think it dumbed down the gameplay too much and made combat more tedious. It also doesn't seem to work as well with video games (haven't played any that it really worked good in yet).

As for smilies, I don't typically use those anyways :-) So its no biggie. We can revert to stone age smilies if we want.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

Wow, you're a really big dumbass if d20 combat is too much for you.

But the reason why we are usually in favor of Sci-Fi and not Fantasy (traditional High Fantasy jubaloo) is because there is a million and a fucking half fantasy game and only a handful are good. YET THE SHIT IS STILL PILED. While Sci-Fi barely comes around and/or is good.

Baldur's Gate sucked because it was a shitty and linear RPG and a huge step backwards after Fallout's progression and then people built off that step backwards, so it was a big fuck-up.

The only high fantasy videoggame I think I like is ToEE because the combat is just great and I do like Dungeons and Dragons (because of the freedom and the ability to change stupid settings), so it was refreshing to have a game that didnt totally shit all over the rules (like NWN and Baldur's Gate). It was very good to me.

So bottom line is: You're a tool and I hate you.
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

Gotta love them word filters.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

When I said Baldur's Gate, I meant Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. Not Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, which seems to be what you were describing.

I admit, BIS' fantasy games were somewhat linear when it come to the main quests, but they did have various quests you could do in your spare time.

FO1 and 2 just weren't noticable in their linearity because the main quest was a lot shorter in comparison to the side quests.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

I ment Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and when has Fallout been linear?

Remember in Baldur's Gate, you get the 'COME BACK TO THIS TOWN IN A LATER CHAPTER' stuff.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Re: RE

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:I wish there were more games like Xcom, Fallout, and Jagged Alliance.
Try Silent Storm, then. You could have even won a copy of the game last week at RPG Codex like JimmyJay86 did. And here's an interview about the game. It's the best turn based tactical game I've played in a long, long, long time.
Nowadays people like to use a cheap format similar to Abomination & Siege of Avalon, and it makes the game feel cheap somehow. Its just not the same. Graphics aren't as good, combat is sloppy, etc..
Siege of Avalon is a great game considering it was done by a handful of people with no budget at all.
------------------
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I think DAC is just kinda stuck for the moment because their isn't alot of options to go on if u want the site to last a lot longer. You could do all PA but then ur running directly into competition which have had alot more experience, we cant just do RPGs because we already done that with the codex. Also take into account NMA is in the FO/PA arena and they are more active than DAC. We could do lots of user submitted stuff like reviews, stories, etc. I dont really know what we should do, but a clean up of the front page is kinda needed. Keeping the site alive should not just be on the owners but everyone who is in the community. Sounds gay but perhaps we should work together?
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

I think more PA coverage would be good.
Also, community stuff maybe? DAC has a good community... Kinda.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Whatever floats your boat. I'm pretty interested in most PA, regardless of type (books, movies, games, etc). I might not participate that much in it, but I stil sit up and generally take notice.
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by DJ Slamák »

Killzig wrote:what do you guys think of a phpnuke type format for the site?
Nah, it's fine the way it is.

Oh, and stick to games, preferably.
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Stainless wrote: I'm pretty interested in most PA, regardless of type (books, movies, games, etc). I might not participate that much in it, but I stil sit up and generally take notice.
That's pretty much my feeling too, but please restore the Wasteland (or something similar..) so the spammers, gay fisting fans and other fucktards keep their purile shit out of GD.
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by DJ Slamák »

What Viktor said. The Wasteland was also a good idea as "The Vats with a twist".
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Re: The Direction of DAC, HAVE A SAY.

Post by Silver »

Killzig wrote:The Fallout community is stagnate, has been for a good while. So here are some ideas...
I'll be here. I am sure 60% else will stay. We know we won't get a new Fallout, but there is loads of other PA stuff comming. List goes on and on (off topic - anyone heard anything new from those troika concepts a while back?).

There is a business term. Differentiate. Just make sure it's high quality, not about the masses.

:: Edit ::

Just wanted to add that you guys do a good job running the site, too bad mistakes are made from time to time, but I guess that's just human.

I really like the present look, or atleast layout. I like the news alot, especialy Max Max'sz, kudos.
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Re: The Direction of DAC, HAVE A SAY.

Post by DJ Slamák »

Silver wrote:(off topic - anyone heard anything new from those troika concepts a while back?).
Yeah, Tim recently said it was basically just a bunch of doodles.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Believe it or not, there isn't a whole helluva lotta games stuff to talk about. Yeah, there's a lot of games but news about them happens rarely. And the few that have constant news are stupid little things like what kind of ammo a certain gun will have or other pointless bullshit.
eyemaster7
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b
Location: Behind you. Lightly touching your butt with my love tentacle

Post by eyemaster7 »

New games and MODS FOR FALLOUT. Thats what DAC should be covering. Interplay let it quite clear that they are not going to lauch something good... FOBOS remindes me of X-com Enforcer. Micropose tried to bring the x-com universe to console and created that crap based on an outdated engine. That killed the series.

The same thing is going to happen to fallout with FOBOS which is also based on an outdated engine.

Jesus, even some sound effects are from BGDA.

RIP Fallout 3
"Opinions are like assh@les - everyone's got 'em and they all stink" old saying atributed to the Chosen One.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

There isn't a mod community for Fallout.

We should add another game and cover it as in-depth as Fallout. I think stalker would be good as the universe seems pretty 'deep'?

There's not much PAMedia stuff anyway? I doubt there's much content but pamedia is pretty omnipotent or something.

Mabye just more content. More content and users for the forums. DACers aren't hostile too everyubody
:chew:
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I think a combination of PA media and games with a decaying sf theme. Definitely stay away from consoles though as an emphasis. If people want to discuss them that's one thing but we shouldn't cover them as news.
chrisbeddoes
Respected
Respected

Post by chrisbeddoes »

Cover everything post apocalyptic for a while.

And if people do not care stop covering it.

Preference would be in PC games of course.
taltiren
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by taltiren »

I agree that everything of interest should be covered, but only as long as the main emphasis is on Fallout and other PA games.

A movie reviews section would be really cool. Knowing which PA movies to see and which are awful (most) would be worth some time.

Covering Fallout mods is very important to me, even though they make for boring news when they announce that they release a few new screenshots that dont even look good.

Stalker is a bit iffy as to whether or not it should be covered. It really depends on the degree to which the developers support it after its release, such as free downloads that give it some replay value, ways to add quests, events, items, etc. If they release the game and then never touch it again, then it won't be much to say for very long.

I am a proponent of Fallout PNP, and it would be cool if it was given a better section where all the files would be in DAC, rather than on those yahoo groups.

DAC really means a lot to me as my source for everything worthwhile that is post apocalyptic. I feel like DAC uses a lot more discretion on what they post in the news, where NMA just has every little tidbit posted.
Our Host!