playing FOT solo, xp problems

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
blithelyarmed
SDF!
SDF!

playing FOT solo, xp problems

Post by blithelyarmed »

I've been trying to play FOT with just my main character. Aside from the brahmin wood mission and recruiting a barterer while in the bunker, my character has completed the first 5 missions solo. the problem is that when i go back to the recruit pool after a mission, stitch and farside are gaining levels. when i compare xp values with save games where the whole team went, they are roughly the same. if i don't recruit them right after the mission and before i exit the recruit screen and reenter it, the values change back to the correct levels (a version 1.27 patch fix i think). and when i leave a mission or complete the main objectives i can hear multiple leveling up 'ping' sounds, as though there were more than one character present. any body have this problem? i can't decide if they're a drag on my xp or if xp is awarded equally to all characters- kill something worth 100xp, each character gets 100xp, rather than percentages of the total like Planescape. it seems like if i'm the same level if i go solo or with a team, i should take the team at least as mules for the loot. any words of illumination?
na
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

your whole team earns the same amount of experience for completing missions, and killing things

if you went solo, you would still get the same amount of exp for completing the mission and killing raiders, etc

however using the repair, first aid/doctor, and lockpick skills will give exp only to the character who is using that skill

therefore if you have yourself, farsight and stitch in your team, even though you all earn the same exp, stitch would probably level up faster than everyone else if he heals your team mates a lot

and youre not allowed to take pack rats if youre going to go solo
solo means just that - all on your own =)
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

Solo is fun.
I like to play FO and FO2 solo..so I tried Tactics solo.

works pretty good...and is fun.
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

And it's a lot easier if you play as a robot or deathclaw like me. :mrgreen:

Kansas City is the only place you need a team because of the heavy mutant attack.
blithelyarmed
SDF!
SDF!

thanks and one more thing

Post by blithelyarmed »

well i'll get on to playing then, not worry about xp. the reason i tried solo was cause i thought i'd get more xp and be able to really pack on the perks. alas. one other thing, you mention Kansas City as one mission you really can't do solo. what about preoria? when i do it, i send in three guys and let the fourth stay at the switch. that character switches the on and off when the rest of the guys need to get through the main doors. using that and turn based, the doors and turrets are no problem and i never lose any tribals. how do i do it solo? by the way, i found a way to keep the ghoul in Kansas City from running out into the fray (no ghouls dead). now he stays quietly prone for the entire mission. use a steal character to give him 50 rds. of 9mm. the reason he runs is cause he don't have ammo for his uzi.

thanks for clearing up the xp mystery.
na
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

if you make yourself a doctor/mechanic - you really can pack on the exp in no time
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Yeah but you also gotta get some gun skills other wise you'll get the s**t kicked out of you. Unless you're a deathclaw
Our Host!