semi-complete weapon

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

semi-complete weapon

Post by Strap »

FN2000

it's without a grenade launcher/grip on the front, and there is no aiming fixture yet... but I made it and all with MS3d.
(remember that wierd gun in the stalker trailer, when the stalker was in some very dark area? that's the fn2000)

**edited for the sake of deviant art**

--now, could I get some comments ;)
Last edited by Strap on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

You remote linked that to deviantart?
That's bad dude.
Real bad. Stop it, make it a regular link or host it somewhere else. Really.
evilmonkey
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by evilmonkey »

looks good -

and I agree with SuperH

if they see it over there you risk a ban etc, with reason as well.
Black is the Colour that Shines on my Path
Black is the Colour of Freedom
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Does deviantart actually get pissed if you link to them, or what? Enlighten me.

Anyway, nice stuff. Anything FN is automatically pretty cool anyway. You've done quite a good job on the barrel/front section of the gun.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

I've finished the front grip and the scope, but rendering it just turns out crappy because I don't have a rendering program that supports "smooth shading" (the render above is not smoothshaded, and thus you can distinguish individual triangles. smoothshading makes things much prettier.)

anyone know of a free to cheap good rendering program? (besides 3dsmax, 'cause I can't run that on my comp.)
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

atoga wrote:Does deviantart actually get pissed if you link to them, or what? Enlighten me.
Yeah, as anyone who frequents it knows, that is a massively high bandwith site. They've got enough trouble keeping everything smooth contained within itself. If they catch you remote linking, which I'm sure is something they scan for, you might get a warning or something or they might just ban you.
Even if they didn't, it's common knowledge that remote linking sucks up resources from websites, and it's just a matter of respect not to do it to DevArt. Hell, it's one of the few respectable places on the interweb, they don't deserve to have people stealing their bandwith offsite.

And, as for the gun, it really does look good. Sorry I can't help with a renderer though, 3d graphics is one area I don't have the slightest bit of expertise in. I tried to use 3d studio a bit, but I'm no good at it. Maybe if I could find a good book that's not too expensive, but, then again, I've got no reason to 3d model so it'd end up being a waste of time and money.

The only other 3d program I ever tried though, is... what's the name... I donno I can't remember but it sucked. It tried to be more "user friendly" than 3ds, and just ended up being a jerk. Oh well.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

I am going to post the full thing on MS3d forums, in ocx viewer format... The render looks like crap when you can't smoothshade. (because the front grip is especially smooth)
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

SuperH wrote:I've got no reason to 3d model so it'd end up being a waste of time and money.
No, it's a great hobby, it impresses all your friends and family, and it's lots of fun.
evilmonkey
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by evilmonkey »

yeah - even if you do not plan to work in the field it is great fun if you can get passed some early hurdles.

like clay modelling *g*

time to finnish of my xmas gifts

WARIO in supersculpy for my cusin (12 year old wario freak)
SOMETHIN ABSTRACT in wax or SC for my uncle - perhaps some weird bridge as that is what he is designing for work.
HUMAN Head x 3 in SC to cover up for the rest of the gifts - ah they wouldn't understand too much thought anyway.

...and for some reason someting you can hold and turn inspires more wow then a drawing.
Black is the Colour that Shines on my Path
Black is the Colour of Freedom
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

This probably wont work, but what the heck ;)

<object id="MS3DViewerCtl" width="400" height="400" classid="CLSID:59131903-4A33-40D5-80C2-5242DD365AB3" codebase="http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft ... on=1,0,0,6">
<PARAM NAME="_Version" VALUE="65536">
<PARAM NAME="_ExtentX" VALUE="16007">
<PARAM NAME="_ExtentY" VALUE="12303">
<PARAM NAME="_StockProps" VALUE="0">
<PARAM NAME="URL" VALUE="http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft ... EbK3Ay.msz">
</object>

Choose animate to "explode" the different peices off. (scope/grip/clip. and to cock the slide)
Last edited by Strap on Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Wow, very hardcore. I wonder if people with lower end computers / connecctions will appreciate that being embedded though? w/e it's still badassed.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I'm lovin' it!!!
is that shaddam's hand gun :wink:
maybe the scope should have another tip though?
Last edited by Gimp Mask on Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Gimp Mask wrote:is that shaddam's hand gun :wink:
Don't think so... but even if it was, it wouldn't matter 'cause they just captured him ;)

Thank you all for your Awe.
Gimp Mask wrote:maybe the scope should have another tip though?
It's for a game... so it wouldn't be visible... and thus I did not make one.
I do realize it should be there, but it would be pointless from the ingame aspect.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

So are you gonna texture it? And if so, can the texture be viewable through that same little control there?
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

SuperH wrote:So are you gonna texture it? And if so, can the texture be viewable through that same little control there?
I absolutely hate lithunwrap. And I'm not about to buy its big brother Ultimate Unwrap 3d... So I probably wont be able to get a skin for it for some time...

If I did have a skin, it would be viewable with that viewer up there. (also toggleable)
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

looks good

what game is it for yo?

that arrow/diamond thing on the side looks a bit gay, but if it's on the actual weapon then it's 'ALL BRAN'
:chew:
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Megatron wrote:that arrow/diamond thing on the side looks a bit gay, but if it's on the actual weapon then it's 'ALL BRAN'
Heheh, it's on the real gun. It's one of those --don't know the gun lingo-- cocking levers. If you look at the g36, it's lever is similar to this one's in that you pull it out straight when pulling it, and when you're not, it's snug against the weapon and doesn't get in the way.
DeepOmega
Regular
Regular

Decent start.

Post by DeepOmega »

Do you want this to be low-poly or high-poly? Right now it's, er, middle-poly, and not very well balanced. Far too sharp, add some smoothing.

If low-poly: A lot of those pseudo-curved shapes (the clip, the ridges on top, the trigger guard) should get scrapped. Poly conservation my friend! Otherwise, you should really really strive for more natural curves. The clip is a great example. It makes a sharp angle in the center of it, clearly visible. The beveling on the edges near the front of the barrel is another good example - way too sharp. Smoothing really would help a lot. I'd like to see a view of the top, as well - one of the most commonly upfucked things in a 3D model of a weapon is the top profile, as nobody ever finds good references for it. Hope that's a start for ya =)
Peace and much love...
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Very nice work! Looking forward to the texturized model!! =O

Nice idea with the show-off animation ;)
Testicular Pugilist
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: Decent start.

Post by Strap »

DeepOmega wrote:Do you want this to be low-poly or high-poly? Right now it's, er, middle-poly, and not very well balanced. Far too sharp, add some smoothing.

If low-poly: A lot of those pseudo-curved shapes (the clip, the ridges on top, the trigger guard) should get scrapped. Poly conservation my friend! Otherwise, you should really really strive for more natural curves. The clip is a great example. It makes a sharp angle in the center of it, clearly visible. The beveling on the edges near the front of the barrel is another good example - way too sharp. Smoothing really would help a lot. I'd like to see a view of the top, as well - one of the most commonly upfucked things in a 3D model of a weapon is the top profile, as nobody ever finds good references for it. Hope that's a start for ya =)
Could you see the viewer? It is completed and smothing groupes have been added. I don't have a rendering program that supports smooth shading so that's why the render at the top of the page looks so jagged.

I'll try to unwrap this when I get some more time, finals and all... bah.
Our Host!