Is Chris Avellone Flipping His Lid?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Is Chris Avellone Flipping His Lid?

Yes, he's going, going, gone
31%
Maybe, he's a little overworked
15%
No, he seems just a little pissed
27%
Who cares, leave the man alone
27%

Total votes: 26

OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Hey thanks, Kill-zig/ian!

LMAO @ winstonsmith.com where thought crime is a way of life.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

OnTheBounce wrote: I'm not against Lionheart at all. I'm simply burnt out on S&S Fantasy. I hit that point back in '90, not too long after AD&D 2nd Ed. came out. Basically, BIS can do what it wants, but I'm not inclined to support this little venture w/my gaming dollar.
I gave up on AD&D after 1st Edition as well. I didn't like the new rules, for one. I wasn't about to buy hundreds of dollars worth of new books either.

I don't care much for the Infinity Engine combat either, so I skipped most of those releases. I bought BG, PS:T and IWD though. Well, my wife bought BG and IWD, but I tried them.
The integration of magic into SPECIAL is an interesting concept, though. Will it simply replace Science? Will certain %-age levels give you access to new spell types? Can you focus what type of magic your character studies?
One thing I like about Lionheart is that there are only thirty spells but they get better as your skill with magic gets better.

This pissing contest over spell counts was always annoying to me about most fantasy/magic games. Sure, you had gobs of spells in the list to chose from, but most of them were replacements for weaker spells. After all, once you got high enough level to cast the fireballs, how often did you use Magic Missiles? Only when you ran out of the fireballs, right?

I prefer the spells getting better as you get more skilled than to have some replace the others.
One thing I thought of last night is that PE has always been a stat that I crank up. Hell, I won't play w/less than 7, and my usual is 8. If the focus is on non-ranged weapons this stat is of far less value, while ST will be inflated. Of course, the game takes place in 1588, and gunpowder was in widespread use by then, unless this divergence has caused it's use/diffussion to be hampered...
I wonder if there will be muskets as well. Also, if spells require PE to hit.
I can't say that there are too many original creatures in the AD&D multiverse. Even Greyhawk's Cooshee is a creature from Irish folklore. (There it's spelled "cu sidhe", which - curiously enough - is pronounced "coo-shee".)
No, there's not. Most of them are folklore based, which is also what Tolkien did with LOTR. Nearly everything fantasy is a rip of folklore.
Yes, that was my point in the original thread. We're not fighting over precious, life-giving resources here.
Okay, gotcha.
There's really nothing at stake except for a little bit of cyber-face and the direction that a gaming franchise takes. There comes a time when someone has to say, "Enough now!" As a designer, I'd hate to come to work every day with a bunch of vengeful fans looking to verbally sodomize me.
Like I said, this went both ways. It basically has since Fallout 2 was released. "ENOUGH NOW!" is a lot different than both sides attacking one another, which is what happened. There have been peace offerings on both sides as well, but the misunderstandings and things go a long way to fueling the fire.
------------------
Araanor
Respected
Respected

Post by Araanor »

I'd wager a good number of PS:T fans know the name of Chris Avellone. I did.
Ashmo
Respected
Respected

Post by Ashmo »

He's just a little cynic and sarcastic...
Vote: MAYBE

Maybe he should take some vacation.
M2K wrote:HELLO
Dan wrote:LEAVE.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Chris was just releasing some pent up anger at folks like Saint and I. Fair enough after all the shit we drag them through. Heh. Actually I think he's more fun like this.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
[Anti-Hero]
SDF!
SDF!

Post by [Anti-Hero] »

I like him now more than I did before.
I said "SHUT THE FUCK UP!"
Our Host!