Political correctness?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

What do you think of Political Correctness?

Empty (for security reasons, if you choose this you are a geek, pick a real option)
No votes
It is necessary in our society
14%
It is not necessary in our society
68%
I don't care
18%

Total votes: 22

Walks with the Snails
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Walks with the Snails »

HappySuitcase Man wrote: Proclaiming America as the bad guy is okay, as long as you don't make any specifications, in which case, you're some pinko commie. America's image isn't exactly the bad guy, just that bumbling idiot who tries to help the world, just messes up. At most, you can say that America's is trying to be the world's police officer. Anything more, it's "Get your anarchist ass outta this country, OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone." Sometimes even that's too much, as some U.S. guardian of political correctness will say, if we didn't send our benevolent aid, they'd just complain we aren't helping at all!" This is pushed even by those "liberal folk" i.e. people who say they love Latinos and immigrants, as long as they don't move into the neighborhood. Remember all the trouble Politically Incorrect got into when Bill Maher suggested that bombing cities 100 miles away was somehow less cowardly than suicide - bombing the World Trade Center?

Let's take another look at Indochina. People got up in arms when we bombed the wrong village, but when we hit the right village, no one gave a shit, except for "those raving Marxists." Say you do some research on the subject, and you conclude that America attacked the country of Vietnam. This would imply that the U.S. wasn't fighting back the evils of Communism in our humanitarian efforts. Now, proceed to prepare a life where everything you say is greeted by groans and eye-rolling. Again, political correctness dictates that America failed our humanitarian mission to save the people of Vietnam. In reality, the U.S. achieved its major goal in the war against the peasantry -- Indochina was destroyed. There is now no danger that Vietnam will provide for a good example for other countries in the Indochina region. The message got sent. Either starve under globalization, or get tortured to death by U.S. funded - terrorism.

Suggest that the U.S. did anything bad on purpose, and you're fucked. If you ask Political Correctness, Saddam Hussein turned crazy in 1990 (certainly not while we were his buddy), or that America was never his ally. Forget that the atrocities he committed while he was our little puppy was just as bad as post - Kuwait Invasion relations. Unless you wanna be some pinko, that is.
You're really mistaken on the idea of political correctness. I can guarantee you calling people "commie", "OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone", "Marxist", "pinko", and the like are about as far from the PC lexicon as you can get. You're attacking phantoms, here. Yes, there are people who say the kinds of things you're mentioning, but it's not out of political correctness, I can assure you.
Mikey
Regular
Regular

Post by Mikey »

i didn't know that, OTB.

still, i stand by my statement.
jew equals semite.
according to the public.
not according to me, no no, i don't matter.
nein! das ist verboten, goddammit!
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED!
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Our Host!