Speech tree's

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Equus
SDF!
SDF!

Speech tree's

Post by Equus »

I'm back on the mapping scene after a long long break (gaaa.. work) so I guess things have moved on since I last asked stupid questions on the old DAC boards.

Has anyone managed to come up with a solution to the lack of speech tree's yet? I seem to remember that a program was being worked on, but I cant remember who it was by. Or if the only realy viable method of dialoge options is the clone / ignore method.

Hopefully this time I'll actually manage to get some maps onto the net before dinosaurs take up all my time again.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I've created some sprites that you use instead of clones for different speech options. Right now I have text sprites for "yes" and one for "no" but the concept can be expanded to give other clickable options. When they are clicked on they act as unique actors that have clickable speech which can trigger something like a plot change. It requires quite a bit of scripting but I think can be very useful.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I was thinking we might have a problem of creating large sentences, due to the size, but then I remembered you can make individual sprites like Yes-no and then place them next to each other...
[Edit]And of course color differently the first one and make it the only clickable since otherwise, we would have a small problem[Edit]
Last edited by Flamescreen on Thu May 23, 2002 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equus
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Equus »

Good plan..
Thankfully I'll be avoiding the terrors of scripting for a little time yet, but when the time of speech *shudder* and event/world scripting *twitch* comes around I'll remember that.

thanks.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Well, the trick would be to make the sprite small and concise. For example, have the sprite say "yes" and have the clickable speech say "Yes, I'll do the job for a small fee of $1000.". Or whatever you have in mind, there can be several speech options instead of yes or no.
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

I'm not a coder, I'm just a humble artist and designer.

Perhaps, however, someone could produce a third party program to enable communication between it and the Phoenix engine, and thus make speach trees though it?

Not sure how posible that is, or who would be willing to do it if it were posible.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Don't let the triggers and speech nodes frighten you. They may sound scary but are relatively easy to get the hang of. And no, you don't really need a third party hack to get it to work. I'll put together a little tutorial for a simple speech tree so that anyone can put one together with the simplest of ease. Look for it later tonight......
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Ok, here it is - the long-awaited fully illustrated html guide to speech trees!

http://www.execpc.com/~yance/Fallout/guideto.htm

I'll DL it to DAC as soon as they get some space so I don't go over my ISP limit..

For anyone that wants the sprites, they are still available here:

Yes & No
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Good guide!
And for those that might not have understood the joke, Parthenon is really located in Athens, Greece of course.(Although there is the apropriate smillie for it)
Our Host!