Lionheart Demo. Anybody try it?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Lionheart Demo. Anybody try it?

Post by BlackDog »

Just curious if anybody tried it yet. Just came out the other day. I haven't had the time personally since I've been swamped at work and usually playing SWG...

Any insights from those who have played it? Tycho at Penny Arcade seemed to have liked it, so in my eyes it can't be all that bad. But then again, they bashed SWG and its better than they let on. So I take that with a grain of salt (their opinions).
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

http://www.duckandcover.net/forums/view ... 43&start=0

We've all let out our frustrations there...

=/
Testicular Pugilist
Hemogolobulous
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hemogolobulous »

I downloaded it last night, and I'd have to say that this game is going to be fucking kick ass! It's no Fallout, but I think I'm going to enjoy a bit more than any other fantasy RPG in recent memory.
Hemogolobulous' Wondrous Medicinal Compound
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Yeah, a lot of people didn't like it for one reason or another, but I found it enjoyable. It really has to be taken with a grain of salt, because it isn't representative of the full game... almost none of the dialouge portion made it in. Really, it is more of a tech demo than a demo of how the gameplay will actually be. Still, I did enjoy it, and have played through it several times now, and pretty much have it down to an art ;) Definately worth a download, to see if the combat system is right for you or not. It does take a bit of getting used to.
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

Its rather ignorant to compare Lionheart to an RPG, as its an action-RPG, with a touch more focus it would seem on action than role playing. But then again I'm saying this based on what I've seen and heard, though I've yet to play the demo. I could be wrong.
One day...
Hemogolobulous
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Play it yourself

Post by Hemogolobulous »

It's rather ignorant to comment based on hearsay and other peoples opinions too. It's a fucking RPG, with real time combat. That does not make an action game.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

yeah, it's not an action rpg. There's a lot of combat in the demo because, in the words of the devolpers, in their time crunch it was much easier to just pepper the areas with monsters than write new quests specifically for the demo. It is absolutely not an action rpg ala diablo, although it probably won't have the same degree of freedom allowed in Fallout. The only reason i say that though, is because i don't really believe anything will be able to live up to Fallout :P heh.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

The combat is total ass. The game itself will have a dismaying amount of combat. Unless the setting, story and dialogs are both excellent and amply present, Lionheart won't be much more than an action RPG with very poor action.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Judgeing from the demo its gona suck. The feel, graphics and art are great but the combat and the gameplay of the demo here, which I downloaded earlier, bites. Just another boring Diablo 2 clone. I sure hope that alot of things in the gameplay will be changed, like the hordes of monsters just standing around everywhere waiting for you to grind them up and get XP. Also the amount of mana orbs in the treeline sickens me. If the final Lionheart game is gona look like this, id rather play Diablo 2 actually.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

took me like 3 run throughs to realize that those boxes above the main hud are where you put skills/spells, really helped when i made a magic only charactor.
also, hand to hand charactor is also fun, didnt suck as bad as i had immagioned. gotta try 2handed and bow next times.

it looked pretty promising, at least if you think of it as an rpg style game, fantasy of corse.
i think it will do well as what it is.
Hemogolobulous
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Fairweather Gamers

Post by Hemogolobulous »

How can any one think that the game isn't going to be full of sweet dialogue and quests, you know what this team is capable of! If not then you're in the wrong forum... The demo was to get people into the combat and look of the game I think, not so much the story line and deeper tactical elements. Magic heavy characters do pretty well, but sincethe demo is really just a combat field, I had the easiest time with a Feralkin using Nature spells. The Necromany heal is a lot better than the divine one, and you can slow your enemies down too. With the traits and perks I chose, I started with 61 in one-handed combat, and regenerated pretty fast. Lionheart doesn't share much with Diablo other than the perspective, and the fantasy setting. The demo makes it seem pretty action heavy, but there is bound to be other ways to go through the game. Shit, they give you experience points for sneaking past enemies, how cool is that!? I also don't see how anyone could have a problem with the interface if they've ever played a computer role-playing game before, it's as simple as it's ever been. Left-click attack, right-click spell, 123456789 items, C is for character, etc... what's the problem?

"There's just no pleasing some people." - Jesus
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: Fairweather Gamers

Post by Strap »

Hemogolobulous wrote:"There's just no pleasing some people." - Jesus
::gag:: jesus? ...eh

i thought it is a lot better than diabloII. save before opening good boxes (ie, the one on the Egyptian boat) and if you dont like the items, load and reopen. (brawler's ring of protection, something and something else was a good find for my HtH charactor)
it looked a lot less idiotic than diablo. you are not invincible, actually you can die pretty easy if you dont be careful and correctly equip yourself. in diablo you'r pretty much invincible as long as you go from area to area.)
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Re: Fairweather Gamers

Post by Doyle »

Hemogolobulous wrote:How can any one think that the game isn't going to be full of sweet dialogue and quests, you know what this team is capable of! If not then you're in the wrong forum...
Tell me, how many of the individuals that worked on Fallout, or even Fallout 2 for that matter, are working on Lionheart?
Literacy is overated.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I doubt not many... Didn't most of them leave BIS and scatter around when all that hassle (with Bioware and shit) came along?
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

I concur with 'hemogolobulous'. I love this game. I will unquestionately purchase it, all in good time.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Uh, try zero. Chris Avellone did a little bit of writing and maybe some design for them, but that's it.

RPG Codex
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Why does something have to have Fallout people working on it to be a good game? Since when is this Fallout? I'm pretty sure we realized before the demo came out that it didn't have any Fallout people working on it - and that it was going to be RT. I seem to also recall there being a lot of talk about how good the writing was going to be, something which we haven't even got much of a chance to experience yet.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

if you dont think of it as fallout, or even being made by the people who made fallout, it looks good. much more promising than other fantasy rpg's, especially for this time period, when everything seems to be about frazzel-dazzel and how the graphics look.

(at least you can talk to npc's, and it alters how the game is.)
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

SuperH wrote:Why does something have to have Fallout people working on it to be a good game? Since when is this Fallout? I'm pretty sure we realized before the demo came out that it didn't have any Fallout people working on it - and that it was going to be RT. I seem to also recall there being a lot of talk about how good the writing was going to be, something which we haven't even got much of a chance to experience yet.
That's exactly my point. Hemowhatsit was claiming that because BIS produced Fallout, we should just accept that they'll ultimately do a good job. My point is that there's no reason to believe that, because there isn't anyone left from Fallout!
Literacy is overated.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Particularly relevant is the fact that BIS didn't produce Fallout.

RPG Codex
Our Host!