Editor Help

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Satanicus Placenta
SDF!
SDF!

Editor Help

Post by Satanicus Placenta »

I'm a huge fan of most anything post-apocalyptic or zombie-oriented, so I figured I'd try to make a sort of undead survival-type of mod/campaign, in which you lead three survivors around, designed in a means that if one member dies, the whole team fails. Only (big) problem is, FO:T's editor is by far the most complicated chunk of acidic bile I've ever seen. I couldn't even figure out how to get a map started, at all. Then I tried reading the novel of a readme file... safe to say I didn't finish it.

There a simplified tutorial on the editor anywhere? You know, like one that uses mostly small, condescending words and doesn't assume you already know how to edit?
-=Satanicus Placenta=-
The Devil's Afterbirth
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Here's a whole buttload:

http://www.rpgplanet.com/fallout/tactic ... ials.shtml

Start with the first one by Goldenbeast, it's by far the best for beginners on how to work with tiles. You should master tiles before you start on anything else. And if you have any questions, you know where to ask.
Mumin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mumin »

Ok, I tried to follow Golden's tutorial, but I have a problem with roof. Either it is too long or too short. It means that it protrudes outside of the building or (if one title shorter) left a hole about half title size.

A second thing is that when I create a 10x10 floor I have to use TWO shorter walls, not ONE as Golden wrote.

Maybe both of these issues are connected?
Anyway if anybody can help me I can e-mail to you a .mis file that will show both problems (cause there is no way to attach a file to a post on the forum, right?).
Verba volant, scripta manet...
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

An easy way to make sure everything fits is use the grid on the floor to set your floor tile. To put on your roof, add your walls, then place the roof tiles directly over your floor tiles (above the walls, but parallel to the floor tiles).

What I usually do to make sure is copy the floor tiles then paste them on directly over the original so they glow red (highlight, ctrl+c, ctrl+v). Then you just move the copy level by level upward (ctrl+page up).

As far as the use of 2 shorter cut walls, I think you're doing it right. I've learned that with any room, regardless of size, 2/4/6 shorter walls will be used. I'll try to get a picture up of what I mean, if I have time.

But yah... YAY! Tiles and Looks are my specialties! I'm finally useful! Damn those triggers i've never studied! 8O

(added)

yup... for every wall of a room (i don't mean every single wall tile), they are composed of #of wall tiles plus 2 smaller wall tiles...

but really, you can make it anyway you want, as long as they fit. this is just how i do it... makes it look cleaner...

but hey, if you're just starting with the editors, fuck around. go play with things. eventually, you'll figure it all out.
Last edited by War Bringer on Tue May 21, 2002 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

Mumin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mumin »

Oh, one more thing: maybe it is a problem of levels?!
I do it this way:
lev 0 - floor
lev 1 - 12 - wall
lev 13 - caps & roof

Well, maybe it should be:
lev 13 - caps
lev 14 - roof

Or maybe roof titles must be placed ON caps (but they will be red colored then...)?

Or maybe it's a problem of caps? Do you use it?
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by War Bringer »

lev 0 - floor
lev 1 - 12 - wall
lev 13 - caps & roof

yup, this is right.

remember that nothing should be overlaping (glowing red). this will slow down the game... i think... well i've heard.

caps are used to fill in what looks like gaps between the roof and the walls. there is actually no gap (though you can see between them) because the roof and walls should touch, but the caps are there to make it look cleaner. the caps simply go around the roof tile. picture on the way...

it's blury, but use your imagination. the one on the left has the roof tiles but not the caps.

i also wanted to make sure you know to have the roof parallel to the floor. ... i guess just make sure you remember that there's a grid. again, you have a lot of freedom with the editor. this is just my suggestions to make them clean...
- Brothers Of The Dark

Mumin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mumin »

It is still not what I need to know :(
You show the Upper Right and Lower Right edge, but I have a problem with the opposite ones (Upper left and lower left).
If you have some e-mail address I can send you a small (4k) *.mis file with this "problem" shown.

In e-mail is not possible I try to describe it differently:
I have a wall formed in a square. On the wall I put a caps (aligned to outside edge of the wall - correct?). Now I put the roof titles INSIDE of the caps square (if you would look at this directly from above you will see a roof outlined by the caps - correct?).
Well, if above is correct - it doesn't work! I know it's silly, but it is.

P.S. Actually I can send it tomorrow, because I have to go home now (end work early today :)). This will also give me a chance to experiment with this one more time. Maybe it gets clear till tomorrow.
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by War Bringer »

damn, i showed illustrations and everything, and i still can't help! :oops:

shame on me!

anyway, my e-mail address is the one that i use here... on that icon below the post.... that says e-mail....

now i feel like i'm going to be repeating things you already know, but i'm going to say them anyway.

- roofs and caps are 1 level above the walls (just as floor tiles are 1 level below them)

- caps should be directly over the walls, so if the cap was to move down a level, it would glow red.

-if a wall is 1 unit thick, it should surround the floor tiles in a mannor where they don't over lap (so if they were in the same level, they wouldn't glow red). the caps are placed directly over the wall.

- if a wall is 2 units thick, half the wall should be directly over the floor of the building, and the other half directly over the ground outside of the building. the caps are above the wall (outer part).

*note these are for normal roof/floor tiles. if you're working with the angled roofs, then i've been screwing around with you the whole time...*

e-mail even if you figure it out, so i'd know what happened and i'd be able to do a better job explaining it next time.

sheesh... illustrations and everything...

~walks away mumbling~
- Brothers Of The Dark

captain_ben
SDF!
SDF!

Post by captain_ben »

in reference to this:
------------------------------
lev 0 - floor
lev 1 - 12 - wall
lev 13 - caps & roof

yup, this is right.
-------------------------------

If you are doing a floor inside a building, shouldn't it be level 1?

so level 0- dirt/grass
level 1- Building floor
level 1-12- wall
level 13- cap and roof..
:?:
[o_O]
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

captain_ben wrote:If you are doing a floor inside a building, shouldn't it be level 1?

so level 0- dirt/grass
level 1- Building floor
level 1-12- wall
level 13- cap and roof...
No, absolutely not, unless you're going to ring the raised floor within the building with caps.

If you're having problems w/laying tiles, why not open some of the core campaign's missions and resort to "monkey-see-monky-do"?

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Mumin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mumin »

War Bringer wrote: -if a wall is 1 unit thick, it should surround the floor tiles in a mannor where they don't over lap (so if they were in the same level, they wouldn't glow red).
BINGO! That's what I do wrong! I've put the wall OVER the floor - now it's clear!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

P.S. Please, read the tutorial, and check if it explains this, because I didn't understand placing the walls in this way [of course it's possible, that my English reading is not as good as I thought :( ]

P.S.2 There is no e-mail icon below your post. Perhaps you didn't answer 'Yes' on "Always show your e-mail address?" in profile settings... Anyway, I don't need it anymore - I'm happy now :))
captain_ben
SDF!
SDF!

Post by captain_ben »

AT LAST!!!Now the problem has been solved..........Now I can bugger off..
[o_O]
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by War Bringer »

hehehe glad I could be useful. and thanks for letting me know about my e-mail.
- Brothers Of The Dark

Our Host!