Does skills improve with practice???

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

Does skills improve with practice???

Post by Demis »

Hi everyone

I've stumbled upon the Four Horsemen SE and thought i would try something else than try and kill them, so i brought with me every medic/paramedic/doctor/first aid kit and i decided to heal them (14000+HP and still on almost dead status) could earn tons of XP. I have noticed that after some serious healing the skills of my medic raised, but were in a blue colour so i though that it was because i had some healing bags equiped. But no the skill wasn't changed and it was still in the blue colour, i have noticed the same thing when i was trying constaly lockpicking a chest that the skill boosted as well. So does skills impove with practice or i'm doing something wrong here??
"When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think about how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
Buckminster Fuller
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Hmmm.that's the first time I've hear fo this. Well done.
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

I think they don't increase permanently, but for a little time. At least none of my skills have not increased by practise, but I could be wrong.

Anyone knows this better?
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

It's not a permanent increase, and it's not based on use. Sometimes the game gets confused when you have items like the Field Medic Kit or Paramedic's Bag in your inventory. While they are not supposed to add the bonus to your skill unless they are in one of your active item slots the game doesn't always do what it's supposed to.

The SPECIAL system does not allow for advancement of skills through use, but rather depends on Skill Points allocated by the player. This is not Wasteland, the godfather of the FO series.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

You can't EXACTLY raise skill with use, but my experience is that you are given EXP for 'honing your skills' that can build up to a level up where you can spend points on that skill. If the skills did increase with use, the weapon skills would go up REALLY quickly. Skill increase through use is more realistic but Fo cannot do it, very few things can. This is all because the RPGs that we see today are clinging to the D&D idea of levels advancing skills instead of use. Say you have been fighting extensively and have never use the first aid skill, all of a sudden you are far better at first aid for no reason. Makes no damn sense. The most rescent game that has incresed skills with use is Dugeon Siege.
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Demis »

Thanks for your replies guys. :)

I knew that skills don't raise with practice, so that's why i've asked. I just needed to clear this up.

@Reaper, Actually i was so bored with DS that i've started Fallout Tactics once again. :D
"When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think about how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
Buckminster Fuller
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

TheReaper wrote:This is all because the RPGs that we see today are clinging to the D&D idea of levels advancing skills instead of use. Say you have been fighting extensively and have never use the first aid skill, all of a sudden you are far better at first aid for no reason. Makes no damn sense.
Yes, requiring a skill to be used in order to improve it is more realistic. However, when using game systems like this you invite players to abuse the system. For instance, let's say you encounter a locked door 5 minutes into the game. A savy player will sit there and pick the lock, then lock it, pick it, lock it, pick it...Get the picture? An hour later he's an ungodly ability that should take an entire game to achieve. This was the case w/Wasteland. Many players would assign macros to function keys, tape down the key, then go and have dinner. When they got back their characters were ready for deification, at least in one area.

Also, FO is as "un-D&D" as you can get while still retaining a level-based advancement system, thanks to the allocation of SPs rather than a set advancement based on the character's level and class. I think that the current FO system is probably the best character system of any game I've ever played.

Cheers,

OTB
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

try jagged alliance 2 if you want a game which improves skills by using them

loads of fun, just like FT, but more realistic
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Nutter wrote:loads of fun, just like FT, but more realistic
And a lot harder. :)
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Demis »

Update: It seems that after extensive use of some secondary skills (first aid/doctor/lockpicks) you get a temporary boost of your skill. The boost however fates out after a while ... tested a couple of times

BTW, i managed to heal one of the Horsemen up to 30 000+ HP but run out of healing bags. :D Might continue when I restock :lol:
Buckminster Fuller
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

How much do they have HP's?? I mean, 30k is a lot...what's it's status now? severely wounded? Wonder if Awareness tells the current/max HP's..
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

i know that the horseman have a really high max HP. i think quite a bit higher than 30K
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Demis »

Ok, take a look :)

I wonder how much higher can it get?

Anyone knows any editor that gives unlimited number of items?
Buckminster Fuller
twiztid wanderer
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by twiztid wanderer »

Well I don't think that there are any editors or trainers that will give you unlimited items there however is a mod that does some pretty wierd things. Such as one that will give you unlimited doctor bags in the left hand and an ungodly powerfull sniper rifle. Interesting mod to use its only fun for about the first 3 minutes of play and then you realise that its is too easy and give up. Except i don't rightly remember if you have to restart your game or not but itd be worth a try if you have the patience to deal with the mods for fot... I think you can get it off of DAC or off of one of the links here.
Is it they fear the pain of death or do they fear the joy of life?
Life is only an outer layer, for reality is only realized by the insane.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

I checked the Horsemens' ENT files and they all have 100,000 HP. So it looks like you've got a ways to go. :wink:

OTB
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Demis »

OnTheBounce wrote:I checked the Horsemens' ENT files and they all have 100,000 HP. So it looks like you've got a ways to go. :wink:

OTB
Hehe, piece of cake, i only need another 100+ healing bags to reach that :roll: :lol:
Buckminster Fuller
Our Host!