Cooperative Multiplayer and other stuff.

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Cooperative Multiplayer and other stuff.

Post by Shadowvalor »

I'm sure by now more than just myself has figured out how to get this accomplished. I'm wondering if it's been widely stated?

I've been away form the Fallout scene for awhile. Got sidetracked with numerous other things, and still I have many things I'm working on. I've even started planning for Episode 3 of Star Wars in 2002.

Anyway, I have a few questions before I take the effort to get space on my Hard Drive for some mad Fallout: Tactics stuff- Does Spray or any other program yet let me make new animations for people?

I don't know if I should even make the effort to get back into that side of Fallout, I may just stick to being a fan- an observer.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Actually nobody has tried to make a MP coop map that I have heard of, but it seems like it would be an interesting idea. It would be as much work as a single-player mission to create and it would probably have to be designed for a specific number of players to make it work correctly.

As far as Spray being able to make new animations of people - without some modifications it will not be possible. Not only that but to make a new animation would be very complex especially if it is a PC. This goes the same for modders working on FO1 & FO2. With a Player character there are thousands of frames of animation. These are initially created from a 3d model and snapshots are made at the different animation rotations, with different armours, with different weapons, and various positions. If you have a way of automating the snapshot process it would still take a while to piece it all together with a sprite editor. With the proper tools and knowledge it would take a couple weeks. Without these tools and knowledge, you will be working on this for at least a year. That doesn't appeal to me as much as I'd like to see some new characters.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Unless our above mentioned friend is StormBringer, whom I took the liberty to inform that we expect a new version of Spray, which actually might be able to have animations created by users...
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

I am very much ready to make animations. I'm a 3D Studio user. I can render them all in the same size, and all that good stuff. Once the angle is set up, the animation is rendered with a filename that can let me batch import correctly, and _pop_ new people. Hardest part is either the modeling, or the time spent rendering the image.

I've already made cooperative maps of verying quality, although there are some bugs that are spawns of the engine: Two players being required, a very limited number. More enimies make it more limited. If someone could sacrifice to me permission to alter either one of their single player or multiplayer maps I could set up all the entities and put it up for download.
I had a news post on the old DAC about a mod, although I found it hard planning for multiplayer only. I find it much simplier to stick with my nice RPG style single player stuff.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

There is someone posting at NMA asking about making MP coop too and I suggested the possibility of modifying some of the missions in the original campaign. St. Louis or even Kansas City would be interesting to try as coop and it wouldn't take too much to mod them as such. You may want to try and team up with him or do something similar.

As far as making animations, I think everyone would be interested in seeing something new. I can give you some guidance as far as some tools that are necessary to work with Spray. If you know of anyone with programming knowledge who would be willing to make some modifications to Spray I can get ahold of the source code. Also if you are interested in creating any basic inanimate models to use as sprites, I have some requests! :)
Shadowvalor
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadowvalor »

I would alter one of the map you just sugjested, only that would require some permission from Microforte to do without any legal hinderences, would it not? If I had a place I could upload it, I could post an altered version in an hour. It's not that I don't know how, it's just that I'm not a good mapper as I've never put my mind to it.
Another problem is cooperative multiplayer is the fact that you can't have dialog. Windows such as briefing will show, but not onclikc dialog.

As for static items to use as sprites. I've used spray, but that was awhile ago. Since then I even think I've gotten a new version of Photoshop.

On a slightly diffrent note, does anyone happen to have a free domain bare-bones vault map? Like the design in Fallout 1 and 2?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Shadowvalor wrote:I would alter one of the map you just sugjested, only that would require some permission from Microforte to do without any legal hinderences, would it not?
No, you don't need permission from MF. For one thing, you're not selling the map. For a second, everything you do w/the editors is property of MF anyway, just as spelled out in the EULA.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I think after this, we must seriously bug Domin to make an upgrade of his sprite editor. I see you're mentioning source code JJ86. Did you recieve note, he's not going to do a second version? Perhaps Red could help? I don't know how much aditional work it would require, but it's deffinatelly better to start with something in your hands to work with.
Maybe they could work together?
captain_ben
SDF!
SDF!

Post by captain_ben »

I put my hand up [VERY high] to play test any multiplayer co-op maps..I have a 2 pc LAN in my room and am also VERY desperate for mp co-op maps for Tactics....
Also Im having a go at this AI thing in multiplayer maps but only have recently made deathclaws chase me and my team,NOT attack me/team...
darnit........
[o_O]
Our Host!