MCA Quotes Collected...

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Continuity

Post by 4too »

Continuity

A cinematic level of continuity, for plot tree and "history", would save time, effort, and developement money. Nothing lost on fragmented themes and scenes that can't make the "last cut".

There is still flexibility and room for hot ideas that flash in the heat of creation
as long as such inspirations pull in the same direction. Picachu cute ain't good enough.

4too
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Thank you Mr. Kerouac.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Human Shield wrote:From the same topic.

Hey Rosh,

Chris Avellone writes:
No arguments on continuity problems, you're absolutely right. If we were to do a sequel, then I would like to have area locations standardized and someone in charge of making sure the continuity of the game remains intact.
And Chris also edited his post to include turn-based combat in the list of things that make up Fallout.
Aye, and that was pretty much my point. It does kind of spoil the logic challenge I posed Zamboni if they were to read this thread first, but it is correct. While it does require some more steps, it does look like he's understood the importance of that and hopefully at the end of this there will be enough pressure on him to keep those things in mind. First and foremost would be the setting, and I hope his use of "continuity" applies to the style of the setting as well.

I hope that the fans' arguments on the situation does persuade him to put Josh into that position, as it would be really hard for anyone else to fill that role.
Obsidian:
Now working on Fallout: New Undermountain!

They promise to spend only a year on this title - only a year less than the original Descent to Undermountain!
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

you can sweep the real world weapons under the rug or something. They suddenly popped up after fo1, why not just hide them all afterwards?

The idea of killing americans sickens me.
:chew:
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

Easy.

Have the "civilizations" war.
They will destroy each other.

I think that will solve any problems with just sweeping things under the rug, because seeing what the world looked like during Fallout 2, I could very well imagine NCR taking it's army and mowing through New Reno city for something. Perhaps assassination of the president. Vault City could try and stay out as long as possible, but both sides will get angry, since VC is trading tech with both.

Real world weapons could be eliminated by just using something similar but not using the actual name. I think that will make any fanatics that must use real world weapons reasonably happy.
Just to clarify, real world weapons are modern, right?
I could imagine some weapons from before the Great War that we could have in common with our timeline. I doubt though, that they would work all that great, seeing as it's been at least 100 years.

Alot of this sounds like it's in response to FO:BoS.
Looks almost like he's looking at Fo:BoS and planning on doing exactly the opposite.

Almost sounds like Rosh is getting a little picky, but I think it will do good. More nitpicky we and they are, the better game they'll make.

All I know, is I want it to be good. Now, I can't rightly tell you what good exactly is, but that's some marketing directors job, right? That's probably wrong. Their job is to make me think what they are making is good, reguardless of whether or not it is actually good. It's a much easier job if it is good, though.
Mailbox Man!
Yar.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Another idea

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I have another idea - I WANT TO BE AN NPC IN FALLOUT 3. My name is really cool anyway - Mr. Teatime - and my 'real name' could be in that NPC's dialogue somewhere anyway. How about making me the head pimp of a large pimp crime family.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Radoteur, weapons from before or during World War II are okay--that's why nobody's complaining about the 9mm Mauser. But weapons made in the real world after World War II are taboo.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Radoteur wrote:Just to clarify, real world weapons are modern, right?
I could imagine some weapons from before the Great War that we could have in common with our timeline. I doubt though, that they would work all that great, seeing as it's been at least 100 years.
Consider that Fallout is designed to be from the point of view of a 1950s comic book writer or some other pulp sci-fi writer. The odds of them envisioning an H&K G11 exactly are remotely impossible.
------------------
Tekkaman_Blade
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Tekkaman_Blade »

On the subject of tech, I remember one of the devs of Fallout saying in an old preview (PC Gamer I believe), "it's a world where the transistor was never invented". Was it Tim Cain who said that? Anyway that should be the mantra of the FO3 devs.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Saint_Proverbius wrote: The odds of them envisioning an H&K G11 exactly are remotely impossible.

So you're saying it IS possible.

:)
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Tekkaman_Blade wrote:On the subject of tech, I remember one of the devs of Fallout saying in an old preview (PC Gamer I believe), "it's a world where the transistor was never invented". Was it Tim Cain who said that? Anyway that should be the mantra of the FO3 devs.
Outstanding point, and I vaguely remember that as well.

Those who are unfamiliar with this, take a look at the water chip in the intro of Fo1 sometime/ Those large glass things are vacuum tubes, the predecessor to transistors, yet still have practical application in a number of applications where solid-state doesn't have the ability or doesn't have the desired effect.

Namely, guitar amps.

Fallout's world is indeed one where solid state really didn't happen but other technologies did. Therefore, most things are bulky, but styled in the influence of 50's sci-fi.
Obsidian:

They promise to spend only a year on this title - only a year less than the original Descent to Undermountain!
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

E M Pulse

Post by 4too »

E M Pulse

An ancient 'factoid' of the Cold War was the likely destruction of most solid state ciruitry by the electro magnetic pulse in each nuclear and fusion exploson.

Remember how baffled the young U.S. engineers were when they discovered "tube" technology in that "state of the art" MIG in the'80's.
Was it Soviet tech inertia, or planning to be the 'last super power flying' after Doomsday?

It's easy to image that most off the shelf, standard electronics surviving the bombs would be predominatly "Tubuar".

If the industrialists of the FO Timeline were as ridgid in design as Henry Ford, ("You can have any color you want, as long as it is black.")
then that conceptual "inertia" would perpetuate the friendly glow of the tubes. Duribility would be enhanced by finding a more stable circuit board. The old masonite type base boards warped: heat and moisture, and time.
Breakthroughs in design would reduce the power load, ( that heat, THANG, again.)
The marketplace of the FO Timeline would expect analog amplification, as a 'comforting' sign of quality.

Microization would occur but the style and sensibility would still be locked
on that bulbous streamlining, in stainless steel. That bend of futurism as it
was for a moment, in the mythical '50's.....

Solid state electronics would be a limited to the background, hidden, and possibly a "lost" art after 2070.

Remember when....Ya'll had the back off your TV and Hi-Fi so you could "tickle the tubes" when they ground attenuated. Well that would be your FO Timeline Future.

4too
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

EvoG wrote:
Saint_Proverbius wrote: The odds of them envisioning an H&K G11 exactly are remotely impossible.

what's he's trying to tell you is that he's actually president bush.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

EvoG wrote:

The point I believe Saint P is trying to get across is that ou might find an assault rifle firing caseless ammo in the Fallout universe. It might even be made by a company called H&K. It won't be the H&K G11 we know in our universe as there were only a 1,000 made and the handfull that made it to the USA for weapons trials would be at least120 years old by the time of FO2.

My 2 Euros worth on weapons in FO3:-

- Keep them true to the Fallout ethos - pre WW2 weapons we know might still be around as sacred tribal relics, but the chance of finding a working 200 year old M1 Garand a box of useable .30-'06 in 8 round clips is very remote...

- Allow basic and generic weapons to be upgraded rather than having 5 types of the same weapon class. FO2 was bad enough in having loads of our real world weapons - FO:T (which I still enjoy as an RTS in a post apoc setting) got this really wrong by having many similar weapons in each class from our universea and getting the stats all pissed.

- New weapons should be discoverable/available to the player at the right point in the game. An "Eastern Arms Model 75" lever action rifle which uses the generic 10mm ammo might be real handy for dealing with crtitters and unfriendly types at the start of the game, but there's little point finding it at the stage where your enemies are wearing PA... A fine FO:T example of this is the M-79 grenade launcher. At the stage of the game when you can loot this fine weapon from the Reavers, you've already had time to build/train at least 2 NPCs into grenadiers through using XP to increase the Throwing skill while using perks to increase ST. Having the M-79 when you were fighting Raiders, Beastmasters and SMs would have given you a whole bunch of different tactical options when you found your squad outnumbered and outgunned.

- The player should have to work to get his/her new and more capable weapons. Who remembers the thrill you got from getting your 1st 10mm SMG in FO2 after wandering around with a spear and then a pipe rifle?? Or managing to talk the mechanic into putting a scope on your hunting rifle?? Or getting Vic's daughter to extend the magazine capacity of your assault rilfe?? Just finding uber weapons lying around on the floor or in moronic special encounters tends to blow the "suspension of disbelieve" and immersive nature of RPGs in my book.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Hehe, Viktor...Of course I know what Saint is saying (he meant that sci fi visionaries would be less likley to come up with a G11 in exact specification....or, visionaries 'dream up' future technology, but the odds that their visions are exactly like something 'real', is very low.), I'm just messing with him.

Reread what I wrote and laugh out loud!

Hehe.

Later
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

I think New Reno was GREAT. Including SEX and stuff, so I disagree with Sammy's "Too much sex" - it was one of the things that made Fallout adult-style and it wasn't some outdone extra attraction - they way sex 'worked' and was presented was quite 'falloutish' - I mean real-life-like, cynical, with its pros and cons. (w/ Ms Bishop it wasn't the best, it wasn't the worst, right? and she's sooo charmingly bored with her 'family life' while looking down on you, tribal..)

Weapons: in my view they should be true to the canon established be previous Fallouts.

"- Get XP rewards for exploration, learning things, teaching things, and not just killing.
- Even more importance and focus on the central character; rather than seeking a water chip or a GECK, I'd rather the player tell me what he's looking for as a character, then have the game react accordingly"
-sounds great; main quest and your way through the game depending on the character.

My apetite got also wetted by what Sammy says bout the 'frontier'-theme: I say yeah! I'd rather have this than maing the world more sophistcated. Moreover, the 'frontier myth' is ever-present in American culture, including the 50s, so it would enhance some real-world-reflecting aspects of Fallout.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

PiP wrote:I think New Reno was GREAT. Including SEX and stuff, so I disagree with Sammy's "Too much sex" - it was one of the things that made Fallout adult-style and it wasn't some outdone extra attraction - they way sex 'worked' and was presented was quite 'falloutish' - I mean real-life-like, cynical, with its pros and cons. (w/ Ms Bishop it wasn't the best, it wasn't the worst, right? and she's sooo charmingly bored with her 'family life' while looking down on you, tribal..)
Hmm I thought that the sex in FO2 made the game seem rather juvenile, but that's just my jaded opinion.

Re the G11, seems to be the fashionable weapon of choice for games and books these days, but something I was reading in Matthew Riley's 'Temple' is that the gun has a microchip inside and in the book he uses an emp generator to make the guns useless, another reason it doesn't fit with the transistorless post apoc. world of Fallout, as if we need one. : )
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Sammael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sammael »

Just to clarify, I didn't say any of that. Those are Chris Avellone quotes from the official IPLY forums.
EEVIAC
SDF!
SDF!

Post by EEVIAC »

4too wrote:Remember how baffled the young U.S. engineers were when they discovered "tube" technology in that "state of the art" MIG in the'80's.
The Tubestore actually sells those tubes if anyone's interested in nostalgia - I quote :
So your MiG fighter jet's radar scope just isn't picking up bogeys like it used to? Time to re-tube! This Russian Military 6C33 also works great in home stereos. We've got sockets for it as well, if you're building your own amp.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Tubes do have quite a practical use in radar and communication systems.

An interesting encoding modulation can be done with tubes that would play havok with some digital decoding equipment as many parts of the wave are cut when decoding, as it is based upon regular intervals. Unfortunately, the encryption and decryption tube circuits have to be made just about identical in every way, so that gives more security leakage than it's probably worth.

As for tubes in radar, their power handling capability reduces the amount of step-up and intermediate circuits that are required for solid-state equipment.
Obsidian:

Our Host!