Compatibility Problems/Solutions

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Compatibility Problems/Solutions

Post by Stevie D »

This is a proto-thread from which I'm hoping a DaC standard will emerge.

I'm no tech-head by any stretch of the imagination. But I'm guessing there WILL be problems getting two fan-made plug-in towns/settlements to run smoothly together. If we can spot what things cause clashes, maybe we can form a standard for all DaC maps to conform to. Users will be able to know in advance if the maps they're downloading are inter-compatible if they come with the DaC standard.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I bet I'm not the only one. ;)

Anyway, I'll be compiling all the relevant thoughts on this in this thread. Maybe in a few weeks or months something good might come of it, maybe not. Who knows?
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

You ask in the sticky what compatability problems there will be with user maps/towns beimg used together?

1) Well for one they will need to have a unique name..

2) Each town/map will need to have an entry in the the city.txt file (which details its position on the world map, and whether or not it's visible and what size it's circle is) , and i'm not sure but probably also the maps/txt file..

Brought up by <a href="./profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1429">ColJack</a>.

Please continue this discussion in <a href="./viewtopic.php?t=4886">this thread</a>

<font size=-2>
[5/27/04 - Updated links: changed to relative links. - Temaperacl]
</font>
Our Host!