Font Color and Speech

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Font Color and Speech

Post by OnTheBounce »

I finally remembered to conduct my little experiment on coloring speech text in FoT. I'm happy to report that it is a go! Yes, that's right, you can color speech text using RGB values in your mission's speech file!

Click here to see a screen shot of colored floating text.

The RGB value used for this screen shot was 196,160,40. The format for the line was:

M05_Scout_D00 = {<rgb:196,160,40> *mumbles*...gettin' too old for this...}

I'm also happy to report that this format also works with Windowed Speech. I don't have a screen shot available for this one, though.

Okay, I put off watching The Hidden Fortress to do this, and that's what I'm going to go do now. :D

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yeah...

Wait a sec... what actual use does this have? Only thing I can think of is if you have some actors having a conversation with floating text (different actors have different colored speech).

Well, I guess if you have a map that has a bright background (like Rebellion), you could color the text from white to, say, red.

But anyway, good work! How'd you figure this one out?
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:Wait a sec... what actual use does this have? Only thing I can think of is if you have some actors having a conversation with floating text (different actors have different colored speech).
That would be one use. You could also have different factions in a town use different colors. Another use would be if you were going to use speech to give the player a warning, you could turn the text color red as a clear indicator that the actor wasn't happy w/whatever the player was doing.
Max-Violence wrote:Well, I guess if you have a map that has a bright background (like Rebellion), you could color the text from white to, say, red.
This would be yet another use. You could also turn the color black to contrast nicely w/snow.
Max-Violence wrote:How'd you figure this one out?
I was poking around in the various text files a long time ago and found the credits.txt, which controls - you guessed it - the credits for the game. (Yes, you can put your own set of credits in...) I noticed the RGB values for each line and wondered if this could be done w/speech. Well, it can. :D

OTB
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Re: Font Color and Speech

Post by Viktor »

OnTheBounce wrote:I finally remembered to conduct my little experiment on coloring speech text in FoT. I'm happy to report that it is a go! Yes, that's right, you can color speech text using RGB values in your mission's speech file!

I'm also happy to report that this format also works with Windowed Speech. I don't have a screen shot available for this one, though.

Okay, I put off watching The Hidden Fortress to do this, and that's what I'm going to go do now. :D

Cheers,

OTB
Looks good OTB.

A fellow Kurosawa fan, eh??

Now you know where he got all 'his' ideas for the original Star Wars moive from!
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Nice Screenshot by the way. Hm, it looks like a Vault, but it can't be...
Unless it's the entry part.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: Font Color and Speech

Post by OnTheBounce »

Viktor wrote:A fellow Kurosawa fan, eh??

Now you know where he got all 'his' ideas for the original Star Wars moive from!
Yes, I most certainly am a Kurosawa fan. Currently I have The Seven Samurai, Ran, and The Hidden Fortress. The first two on VCD, and the last on DVD. I need more... :lol:

I think it's fitting that Lucas and John Williams collaborate, you know. All Williams does is to graft together pieces of music in the public domain, make some minor alterations, and calls it "his". I had a Music Theory teacher way back in high school who took pains to show us where all of his music came from. Lucas does the same thing, only w/everything from Kurosawa to De Mille. (Don't tell me that the opening sequence for the Pod Race in Episode 1 wasn't taken from the '59 version of Ben Hur.)
Flamescreen wrote:Nice Screenshot by the way. Hm, it looks like a Vault, but it can't be...
Unless it's the entry part.
Thanks, but don't pay any attention to that map, Flamescreen. That would be rangeC.mis, which is one of four maps I use for experimentation. The vault tiles are just on there from when I was figuring out how to get the vault tile windows to work properly. The speech file is a modified version of one from the actual missions, but I just use it to experiment with. I can't tell you how many people have been butchered on that map. :lol:

OTB
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Looks cool, OTB. [sarcasm] Another piece of Fo:T tinkery winkery. [/sarcasm] Keep up the good work!
endocore
Regular
Regular

Post by endocore »

Excellent work, OTB. If only we could also modify the text colors of entity descriptions as well....
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

endocore wrote:If only we could also modify the text colors of entity descriptions as well....
Have you tried simply typing in some RGB value for a particular item in the items.txt and checking it out in-game?

OTB
Our Host!